Community

Bellefonte students taking tests online

BELLEFONTE — Pretty soon, when Rick Knapp speaks, the first question he won’t hear is, “Where is Bellefonte?” “My usual reply is, ‘State College is near us,’” said Knapp, director of technology for Bellefonte Area School District. As one of few school districts in ...

Howard Happenings

LADIES RETREAT The West Branch Area Ladies Retreat will be held at Sylvan Hills Christian Service Camp on Sept. 14 and 15. Kristy Steppe will be speaking on “Strong Women in the Bible — Their Strengths and Priorities.” The topic will help women of all ages develop a heart of wisdom. The ...

A crucial time for kids’ social and emotional development

By WILLIAM SHARP It’s that time of the year. Summer vacations are almost over. For most kids, this time of summer has been about finishing the readings and completing the packets that were handed out to them as summer work. As a result, school often conjures up ideas about reading, ...

Bellefonte teacher working toward global education

By CAROL TERRACINA HARTMAN cterracina@lockhaven.com BELLEFONTE — One Bellefonte Area teacher doesn’t want her school to “go global,” she wants education to “be global.” All the time. And that, thanks to a recent fellowship, is her job. English teacher Ashlie Crosson ...

Promote healthy weight starting with school lunch

Although there are a variety of theories behind the growing obesity problem plaguing North American adults and children, the most consistent findings point to caloric intake as the culprit. Here's a simple equation to get to the root of the problem: Calories eaten + calories spent = weight ...

KC teachers are back in school

By ANGELA HARDING For The Express MILL HALL — One by one Keystone Central School District teachers and staff signed in at the lobby of Central Mountain High School’s auditorium on Thursday, the first day of in-service. They were welcomed by Keystone Central Foundation board members ...

Career Pathways Program paves the way to success in life

By JESSICA WELSHANS For The Express JERSEY SHORE — Learning, growing and succeeding - together. A message placed forth to the students, parents and community that the Jersey Shore Area School District lays in, and the motto of the district. “Community engagement provides support for ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Birthday to Robert Grieb, 92, of Tylersville, a World War II veteran. Word of the Day Baragnosis — Loss of the ability to sense weight. Quote of the Day “We cannot command Nature except by obeying her.” — Francis Bacon Free swim day A free swim day for ...

Local Briefs

Kayak poker paddle moved to Sep. 15 LOCK HAVEN — Dennis and Jennifer Oldt are planning a new fundraiser to benefit the Clinton County Drug Advocacy and Clinton County Out of Darkness. The event, “2018 Awareness Kayak” will begin with registration at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 15. ...

Calendar Of Events

TODAY - Hike the Nature Trail, 3:30 p.m., Kettle Creek State Park Upper Campground. - Big Willy playing easy rock, 6-8 p.m., Triangle Park, West Main Street and Bellefonte Avenue, a City of Lock Haven Free Summer Concert. (Rain place: Elks lodge, 216 E. Main St.) Information: ...

CMHS teacher attends program at Holocaust Museum

MILL HALL—Deborah Moore, a teacher at Central Mountain High School, was among 24 selected educators who attended the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum’s Museum Teacher Fellowship Progam. Moore immersed herself in advanced historical and teaching training this summer to help foster ...

Governor helps cut ribbon at Hanna headquarters

LANA MUTHLER/THE EXPRESS Gov. Tom Wolf made a surprise visit to Lock Haven on Wednesday morning, stopping just long enough to help cut the ribbon officially opening the Mike Hanna Jr. Campaign Headquarters at 108 Bellefonte Ave. A couple dozen fellow Democrats were on hand to get Hanna’s ...

Peer Day honors assisted living resident-advocates

LOCK HAVEN — Pennsylvania’s Empowered Expert Residents (PEERs) from various nursing and personal care homes throughout Lycoming and Clinton counties gathered at the Clinton County Community Center for PEER Day, held on Friday, July 27. Founded in 2002, and administered in Lycoming and ...

Heberling/Bechdel reunion held at BE State Park

PHOTO PROVIDED The annual Heberling / Bechdel reunion was held at Bald Eagle State Park the Sunday after 4th of July, as usual. This year 31 people attended. The officers will stay the same as last year. The oldest was Jane Bechdel Pool at 95. The youngest was a tie with Rebecca Bower. ...

Driver license center at Williamsport to be closed for renovations

WILLIAMSPORT — The Williamsport driver license center at TJ Maxx Plaza, 1782 E. Third St. will be closed for renovations from Monday, August 20 through Monday, Sept. 3, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. While renovations are taking place, customers who usually use ...

Old photo album

EXPRESS ARCHIVES A minstrel quartet of yesteryear Members of what is described as a Lock Haven area minstrel quartet in days gone by are Bob Yearick, Harry Poorman, Bob Livingston, and Cal Johnson. This photo was taken by Gordon Vincent who had a studio in the First National Bank Building ...

Dear Annie

Adult stepdaughter’s presence is a burden Dear Annie: I am married to a man with two children from a previous marriage. They are adults. My husband is 15 years my senior, and he married early the first time, so long story short, his children are only four and six years younger than I am. ...

To Your Good Health

Why the long wait for a doctor appointment? BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: I was seeing my primary care physician every six months for about five years. We had mutual respect, and I enjoyed seeing him. Then, I got diagnosed with breast cancer and had to see other doctors for a long ...

Around the Town

Good Day and happy birthday to Nancy Akeley Lewis of Bethlehem, Pa., formerly of Lock Haven Quote of the Day “The aim of education is the knowledge, not of facts, but of values.” — William S. Burroughs Rep. Hanna constituent hours State Rep. Mike Hanna will meet with ...

Old-fashioned fun at SV Community Picnic on Saturday

LOGANTON — The Sugar Valley community will host its 102nd Community Picnic this weekend, two miles west of Loganton in a small village of just a few dozen houses, called “Booneville.” As most locals know “the Valley” is notorious for its close family bonds and life-long ...