Community

Red Cross campaign calls for new blood donors

Where are the As, Bs and Os? FLEMINGTON — The American Red Cross launched its Missing Types campaign the same day as a bloodmobile hosted by Flemington First Church of Christ. The local blood drive, held June 11, was chosen to showcase the campaign in this region. Donors had the ...

JS BPW hosts Girls of the Month

The Jersey Shore Business and Professional Women’s Club hosted nine Jersey Shore Senior Girls of the Month at the club’s May meeting. An outstanding senior girl is chosen each month by high school faculty and the JS BPW honors them annually, along with the girl’s mother, with dinner and a ...

Taber Museum to present lecture on World War I

WILLIAMSPORT — The Thomas T. Taber Museum of the Lycoming County Historical Society will host a Society Program on Sunday, July 15 at 2 p.m. in its community room. The program will feature the history of the 314th Infantry, 79th Division which served as part of the American Expeditionary ...

Local Briefs

St.Joseph’s Parish Festival is this weekend RENOVO — St. Joseph’s Parish will host the annual parish festival this Thursday, Friday and Saturday, from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. This year’s festival features Bingo, other fun games with prizes, a basket raffle, live entertainment, and the ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Belated Birthday to Louise Kramer, on June 24! Word of the Day Pugnacious — Being combative by nature. Quote of the Day “Macho does not prove mucho.” — Zsa Zsa Gabor Book-signing Author Clyde Mighells of Howard will appear at Ross Library on Saturday, ...

Calendar Of Events

TODAY r Cub Scout Pack 54 open house and parent information night, Friendship Community Center, 127 Main St., Beech Creek, 6:30-7:30 p.m., for parents of boys and girls in kindergarten through fifth grade. Those who can’t make it may email LunnaLynn0626@yahoo.com for ...

Old photo album

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Patriotic school program in 1994 Cassie Dauber and Courtney Fournier lead a group of students in singing “Let’s Hear it for America” during a patriotic program held April 18, 1994.

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My mother had a workplace affair back in the 1960s that lasted for approximately 10 years. My dad knew about it, but God rest his soul, he remained with my mom and our family until he died. The affair resulted in the fourth child in our family, with a 10-year gap between me and the ...

To Your Good Health

How much vitamin D is too much? DEAR DR. ROACH: I recently had a blood and urine checkup. Most everything was within normal range (doing well), except that I am low on vitamin D, at 24. The doctor recommended supplements, but said to be careful not to overdo. How much is too much? Is one a ...

Engine turntable at Renovo Railroad shops

This photo from the days when Renovo was young and the Pennsylvania Railroad was king shows a steam locomotive on the turntable of the railroad shops in town. It comes to us from Charles Barnum, Renovo area historian, who inherited it. His great-grandfather Cony (Conrad) H. Lau is in the ...

Up, up & away

By KATHRYN KLINE www.lockhaven.com LOCK HAVEN — As the plane rounded the taxiway onto the runway, gaining speed preparing for takeoff, it suddenly became real to me that I would be up in the air in a matter of seconds. Of course, I’d been on commercial airliners before, but nothing ...

Centre County road work listed for next week

BELLEFONTE — The PennDOT Centre County maintenance office announces the work schedule for next week, weather permitting. Drainage improvements are planned along Route 64 and Route 350, as well as Route 445 on Madisonburg Mountain. Patching will be done on Route 144 on Snow Shoe ...

Lock Haven Catholic School students in 1968

Sandy Warner of Mill Hall is sharing this photo from 1968 with other Express readers, and it first appeared in the paper on May 28. She thought this class was at St. Agnes Catholic School in Lock Haven. We have since learned that in 1966, the St. Agnes school merged with the school at ...

Fly-In events today

LOCK HAVEN — The 2018 Sentimental Journey to Cub Haven Fly-In at Piper Airport concludes today with the following activities. TODAY Young Eagle’s Day and Piper Employee’s Day when all former and current Piper employees get in for free. 9 a.m. — Registration gates, indoor and ...

MEETINGS NEXT WEEK

Monday — Clinton Commissioners, 9 a.m. Tuesday— Mill Hall Borough Council, 7 p.m. Centre Commissioners, 10 a.m. Thursday — Clinton Commissioners, 10 a.m.

Blood Drives Ahead

TODAY — Pine Creek Valley Christian Church, 26 Locomo Lane, Jersey Shore, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. WEDNESDAY — Red Eye Center, 516 Canal St., Flemington, 1-6 p.m. FRIDAY — Two drives: at La Belle Vallee Masonic Lodge #232 at 201 S. Main St., Jersey Shore, 1-6 p.m., and at American Legion Post ...

Around the Town

Good Day And Happy Anniver-sary to Rick and Lora Hanley of Monument, on Saturday! Word of the Day Obvert — To turn to show a different side. Quote of the Day “Illusion is the first of all pleasures.” — Voltaire Benefit for Seasholtz brothers A benefit fundraiser for Brayden and ...

Reunions planned – JUNE 23

LHHS and ICHS Class of 1955 lunches discontinued for summer The LHHS and ICHS Class of 1955 weekly lunch reunions will be discontinued for the summer. The next lunch gathering will be held Wednesday, Oct. 31. Schurch family reunion planned July 27-29 The Schurch Family Association ...

LHU raises more than $7,000 for United Way

PHOTOS PROVIDED Lock Haven University held the 7th annual Trash to Treasure fundraising sale in early June in the East Campus Gymnasium. In addition to the sale raising more than $7,300 for the Clinton County United Way, 482 food items were donated to the Life Center and 480 food items ...

Students explore careers at CTC summer camp

The Keystone Central School District Career and Technology Center offered a Summer Career Exploration Camp. The three-day camp was held in the beginning of June and was for students entering the 6th or 7th grade in the 2018-2019 school year. The camp gave students the opportunity to explore ...