Community

Around the Town

GOOD DAY to Kortney Umpenhauer, happy belated birthday Pancake breakfast Tri Sigma’s first ever all-you-can-eat Pancake Breakfast will be held from 8-10:30 a.m. at the EMS Building, 21 N. Liberty St., Lock Haven. Proceeds will benefit a local family and will be used to purchase ...

Halloween Parade winners

LOCK HAVEN - Winners of the 2018 Halloween Parade in the City of Lock Haven on Saturday, Oct. 27, have been announced publicly. They are: - BEST APPEARING ENTRY: The Flintstones, Carl and Hunter Merrill, Brittany Kunes, Morgan and Nate Bechdel. - BEST APPEARING BUSINESS-ORGANIZATION: The ...

State College Elks selects students of the month

PHOTOS PROVIDED The State College Elks Lodge #1600 has named Gabriel D. Wert, left, son of Jason and Kathy Wert, of Centre Hall, as October 2018 Male Student of the Month. Gabriel is a senior at the Penns Valley Area High School. In addition, the Elks chose Isabella M. Culver, right, ...

Get ‘Wild About Books’ with Schlow’s November Book Club

STATE COLLEGE — If your children are “wild about books,” then sign them up for Schlow Centre Region Library’s November Book Club! The theme for this year’s November Book Club is “Wild About Books,” and those who participate can have a chance to win a large stuffed crocodile or ...

Pennsylvania Happy Travelers to meet Nov. 8

LOCK HAVEN — The regularly scheduled meeting of the Pennsylvania Happy Travelers will be held on Thursday, Nov. 8 at 6:30 p.m. in the conference room of the Haven Skilled Rehabilitation and Nursing Facility, 24 Cree Drive, Lock Haven. The club’s Christmas party is scheduled for Thursday, ...

Centre Hall Library to host November events

CENTRE HALL — The Centre Hall Area Branch Library has announced a variety of events for the month of November. PRESCHOOL STORY TIME Join members of the library for storytime for kids ages 2 to 5 that includes a variety of songs, rhymes, finger plays and crafts that reinforce weekly themes ...

November is National Peanut Butter Month

Centers are open 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for holidays. Clinton County Community Center 124 E. Walnut St. (STEP building in Clinton Plaza) 858-5800 Nov. 7 — Healthy eating handout, 11:30 a.m. Nov. 9 — AARP safe driver, 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 14 — ...

The Silver Lining

My brother Milford I have a loving brother Milford is his name He went off to war Now life is not the same He was the best of brothers Was kind to all he seen He was so even tempered Never was he mean Got along with all his family And there are quite a few All his friends and ...

‘The Ultimate Sacrifice’ exhibit on display at Boalsburg military museum

BOALSBURG – The Pennsylvania Military Museum will be featuring several temporary exhibits in the museum gallery for visitors to connect with and enjoy. The most evocative of which is “The Ultimate Sacrifice,” an exhibit of Mr. Foster J. Sayers, Sr.’s, Medal of Honor. As a Private ...

Old photo album

PHOTO PROVIDED Zimmerman Bros enjoy some ice cream The Zimmerman brothers, from left John, Charles and George, enjoy ice cream on a summer day in 1938 or 39. John and Charles passed away and George is now 88 and lives in Lamar. We thank George’s daughter Vickie Buckle for sharing this ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: Every year, my husband and I have immediate family and some friends over for Halloween. We make food, have beverages and take turns giving out candy. A niece of ours and her family always show up uninvited, even when we said one year we just wanted our kids and grandkids. They stay ...

To Your Good Health

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR ROACH: I am a female, mid-50s in very good health. I’m considering donating a kidney to a friend’s adult son, who has been on dialysis for several months. I’ve read quite a bit about it, but can you give me your concerns as if I were your good friend? I ...

LOCAL BRIEFS

LHU to host Halloween karaoke fundraiser LOCK HAVEN — The University Players, the Lock Haven University student theater organization, will host a Halloween karaoke fundraiser from 7-9 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 3 at Avenue 209, 209 Bellefonte Ave., Lock Haven. The event is free and open to ...

Calendar of Events

Thursday, Nov. 1 - Beech Creek/Blanchard Senior Cheer, 12 noon, Friendship Community Center, Beech Creek. Bring wrapped gifts for bingo. Friday, Nov. 2 - Team Zambia Mission Fundraiser, 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. - 8 p.m., Zion Community Church. Includes garage, soup, and bake sales. - ...

Around the Town

Good Day and a very Good Night to all ghosts and goblins on this Halloween night! Word of the Day Unhallowed — Something which has not been formally consecrated; something — or some place — that is unholy or wicked. Quote of the Day “A river cuts through rock, not because of ...

Senior Project supports youth activities

PHOTO PROVIDED Hunter Barger, left, a senior at Central Mountain High School presented a check for $500 to Paul Caimi, vice president of In Your Shoes. This donation to In Your Shoes was from proceeds that were raised by Hunter from her Senior Project, “The CM Girls Alumni Soccer Game,” ...

LHU students visit Mutter Museum

PHOTO PROVIDED More than 40 Lock Haven University health science students, along with Dr. Beth McMahon, LHU professor, recently traveled to Philadelphia to the visit America’s finest museum of medical history, the Mutter Museum. The museum, founded in 1787 by the College of Physicians, is ...

LHU hosts Halloween party at Salvation Army

LOCK HAVEN — The Lock Haven University Social Work Club hosted a Halloween party on Oct. 22 for 36 elementary school and middle school students at the Salvation Army. There were 17 members of the Social Work Club in attendance. Kirsten McKinney, after-school program director and volunteer ...

Local Briefs

JS church coat giveaway is Saturday JERSEY SHORE — Hope River Church is sponsoring a free coat distribution on Saturday, Nov. 3, from 10 a.m. to 12 noon at the Jersey Shore Branch YMCA. Coats and winter wear can be donated at Pizza to Go, Shore Diner, Jersey Shore Branch YMCA, all ...