Community

Local Briefs

Lock Haven University to host open house LOCK HAVEN — Lock Haven University will host weekday visits and open house events throughout the spring semester. An open house will be held on Saturday, March 2 in the Student Recreation Center. Registration will begin at 9 a.m. Prospective ...

Around the Town

LOTS OF BIRTHDAYS Happy (belated) Birthday to Joseph Moore Sr. of Orviston. Happy birthday to twins Deb Ludwig and Dianna Smith, both of Lock Haven ... Glenn Jacobs ... Makenna Grace Raudabaugh, 6, of Flemington ... David Harpster of Mackeyville Road. Word of the Day Lavic—of, ...

Around the town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday to Charlotte Brungart, 81, of Bellefonte Soup Sale and Luncheon Howard United Methodist Church will hold a soup sale and luncheon from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 21 at the church, 144 W. Main St., Howard. Cost is $6. for lunch or quarts of soup. ...

Calendar of events

FEB. 18 —UPMC Lock Haven Hospital Auxiliary’s monthly meeting, 1 p.m., Senior Circle Meeting Room. All members welcome. FEB. 19 — Harlem Wizards vs JSASD staff, 6:30 p.m., Jersey Shore High School, 701 Cemetery St., Jersey Shore. Tickets: www.harlemwizards.com and click on Schedule and ...

One captain’s journey through cancer

By Michael Martin Garrett Penn State News UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - By the time she came to Penn State, THON 2019 photography captain Brianna Barker had already overcome more than anyone her age should have to live through. Diagnosed at age seven with dilated cardiomyopathy, a condition that ...

Avis Minit Mart gone… new one to be built

LANA MUTHLER/THE EXPRESS The Minit Mart on Woodward Avenue in Avis is all but gone, as workers from Charles Construction were clearing the scene Friday morning to make way for construction of a new Minit Mart at the same site. The business closed last month and began removing merchandise and ...

LOCAL BRIEFS

SV Lions Club plans bingo LOGANTON — The Sugar Valley Lions Club is sponsoring cash bingo on March 8 and April 12 at the Lions Club, 55 Sportsman Road, Loganton. Doors will open at 6 p.m.; games start at 7 p.m. For tickets call Elisabeth at 570-725-2148 or Bob at 570-725-3665. ...

MEETINGS NEXT WEEK

Monday — Lock Haven City Council, 7 p.m. Tuesday — Centre County Commissioners, 10 a.m. Clinton County Planning Commission, 7 p.m. Bellefonte Borough Council, 7 p.m. Woodward Township Supervisors, 7 p.m. Bellefonte Area School Board, 7 p.m. Thursday — Clinton ...

Old photo album UPDATE: Renovo Biddy League All Stars 1959 -60

PHOTO PROVIDED Renovo Biddy League All Stars 1959 -60 Pictured are the Renovo Biddy Leauge All Stars from 1959 to 1960. Back row, from left, are Lew Logue, Ralph Tarr, Curt Anderson, Gary Market, Dick Hepner, Fred Miller, Jack Hanobic and Mr. Wentzel. Front row, from left, are Bill ...

Dear Annie: Not the right gift

Dear Annie: With Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day coming soon, I would like to make a suggestion to children who send gift cards to their mothers or fathers. For Christmas, I received almost $400 in gift cards to clothing stores. I am very thankful and appreciative of these gifts, but I ...

calendar of events

FEB 15 — Free movie night at Central Mountain High School Auditorium featuring “The House with a Clock in its Walls.” Doors open at 6:30; the movie begins at 7 p.m. Free movie, popcorn and water. All children must be accompanied by an adult. FEB 16 —All you can eat breakfast, 7 to 11 ...

The ghost tales of Henry Shoemaker

Every February, I find an excuse to work in something by Henry Shoemaker. It’s his birthday — Shoemaker was born on Feb. 24, 1870. I think Shoemaker himself would have liked that — It’s a fitting tribute. In a way, I feel as if I’m somewhat following in the man’s footsteps. ...

REUNIONS

FEB. 20 — LHHS/ICHS Class of 1959, reunion luncheon, noon, Dutch Haven; continue plans for class reunion on July 19 and 20. FEB. 20 – LHHS/ICHS Class of 1958, reunion luncheon, 1 p.m., Haywood’s on the Green. Questions: 570-660-0134. FEB. 25 — LHHS Class of 1952, 5 p.m., Restless ...

SENIOR CENTER MENUS

Bread available daily Monday — Presidents’ Day Tuesday — Lemon pepper fish, mushroom orzo risotto, stewed tomatoes, fresh apple Wednesday — Spaghetti with italian meatsauce, spiced cinnamon apples, tossed salad and French whole grain bread Thursday —Sausage gravy with fresh ...

RELAY FOR LIFE FUNDRAISERS

FEB. 24 — Clinton County Dems Kick Cancer (CCDKC) Relay for Life Team spaghetti dinner fundraiser. Take-out orders available from 4-5 p.m., with a sit-down dinner from 5-7:30 p.m. at the Lock Haven Sons & Daughters of Italy, 1 N. Henderson St., Lock Haven. Tickets are $10 for adults, or ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy (belated) Birthday to Louise Frazier, the youngest member of the LHHS Class of 1939, whose birthday was Jan. 15. Quote of the Day “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.” — Paulo Coelho Word of the Day Nepotal ...

Jersey Shore YMCA receives grant

JERSEY SHORE – The Jersey Shore Branch of the River Valley Regional YMCA was recently named the recipient of the Williamsport Lycoming Community Fund and the Rosco M. and Edith M. Wolf Fund at the First Community Foundation Partnership of PA. “The funds, totaling $65,500, will be used ...

Howard Happenings

MISSIONS TRIP: Yancy Sagastume, owner of Brothers Pizza in Howard, is planning a missions trip to Honduras and is leaving on Feb. 27. Yancy would like to pack a suit case full of supplies and medicines to take along for the medical clinic in San Luis. If you can donate to Yancy’s cause, ...

Families invited to Science Festival on Feb. 21

WILLIAMSPORT– Elementary and middle school students and their families are invited to a Science Festival on the Pennsylvania College of Technology campus on Thursday, Feb. 21. The festival is scheduled from 5-8 p.m. in the college’s Field House and features hands-on activities designed to ...