Community

Club briefs

Happy Travelers to meet LOCK HAVEN — The public is invited to attend the Pennsylvania Happy Travelers next meeting, on Oct. 12. The club’s trips have been planned for 2018. As the tours are confirmed, flyers will be available, and reservations will be accepted. The destinations ...

Flavors of fall: A spoonful of cinnamon

If I were allowed but one spice in my cupboard what would it be? I pondered the question for a moment or two and it came down to garlic or cinnamon. I decided I could get used to a world with no garlic, although it wouldn’t be easy, but I could never give up the pinch of cinnamon in my coffee ...

Bellefonte boys go off to war

PHOTOS PROVIDED It was a cold snowy day in 1943 when this train pulled out of the Bellefonte Railroad Station with local boys leaving for military servcie in World War II. Below, The late Robert E. (Pat) Davy from Blanchard is seen departing to begin his service in the 10th Army Air Corps, ...

Lock Haven student honored with scholarship

WILLIAMSPORT — The leading technical society for the plastics industry has recognized three Pennsylvania College of Technology students, one of them from Lock Haven, as part of its 2017 scholarship program. Plastics and polymer engineering technology students Nicholas C. Moore of Lock ...

South Hills students display works of art

Under the direction of Raymond Liddick, South Hills School’s Graphic Arts (GA) Class of 2017 held the 10th annual Infusive Design Art Show in which the students displayed works of art they created over the course of their two years of study at the career school. The gallery event marked the ...

Quilters display more than 200 quilts

The Clinton Piecemakers Quilt Guild held a Quilt Show recently at the Central Pennsylvania Auto Auction. More than 200 quilts crafted by Guild members in the past two years were on display for lots of interested viewers during the two-day show. This was the first year the event was held at the ...

Couple raises unique mushrooms

By PAT CROSSLEY Special to The Express MILLVILLE — In the quiet, rolling hills outside this borough, Dustan McKee spends his days farming. He’s not a typical farmer, producing crops such as corn or tomatoes, but rather cultivates mushrooms year-round at Greenwood Farm. McKee, a ...

Community members celebrate a pet extravangza

PHIL MAPSTONE/THE EXPRESS Audrey Flick stands with her full Irish Setter, Teadano-Donald and other winners of the dog costume contest. At left, Danielle Barney, Secretary of the SPCA speaks with atendees of the event. At top right, Kylie Rossman and her dog Kita pose for a portrait. Below ...

Penn College welding student saves Antes Fort tractor pulls

From staff reports ANTES FORT — Robert S. Barnes is a self-described perfectionist. The welding student at Pennsylvania College of Technology says he strives to make the next bead better than the last until it’s perfect. The result of one of his recent welds was perfect. So was his ...

Road work winding down in Clinton, Centre counties

LOCK HAVEN — A road project to improve ride quality and extend the useful life of roadway surfaces is wrapping up in Centre and Clinton counties. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), work through mid-October in the two counties will include: CLINTON COUNTY ...

Toys for Tots kicks off Sunday

The Marine Corps League will kick off its annual Toys for Tots Christmas campaign in Clinton County this Sunday. That’s when the League will begin distributing collection boxes, said Bill Bechdel, director of the Clinton County Veterans Affairs Office. “If you would like to place a box ...

Around the Town: 10-02

Good Day and Happy Birthday to Jason Smith of Jersey Shore! Word of the Day Rampike — A dead tree, especially the bleached skeleton or splintered trunk of a tree killed by fire, lightning, or wind. Craft vendors sought The Lock Haven Catholic School will host its third annual fall ...

It’s a celebration down in Walker Township

It was unseasonably hot on Saturday, Sept. 23, but that didn’t keep folks from coming out to the second annual Walker Township Fall Festival. As one person said, “the heat didn’t wilt anyone’s fun.” The day began with a 5K/1 mile walk through the park. Lots of free games, crafts ...

What do YOU think?

Reader Question: “I have heard that one way to help children learn to read is to turn on the closed captioning while watching television. Is that true? I thought too much TV watching was bad?” Thank you, kind reader, for the great question! This is a topic that I have wondered about as ...

finding support

HEALTH r Covenant Cafe, a social engagement program for people in the early stages of Alzheimer’s — 1-3 p.m. Tuesday (first and third Tuesdays of the month), Covenant United Methodist Church, 44 W. Main St., Lock Haven. Information: Fran Decker, 570-748-4302. r Alzheimer’s and ...

senior center menus

Bread available daily Monday — Turkey pot pie with mixed vegetables, bows and gravy; diced butternut squash; sliced peaches. Tuesday — Swedish meatballs, peas with mushrooms, rice pilaf, shredded confetti slaw. Wednesday — Cheddar cheese omelet, creamed corn, diced tomatoes with ...

Composting can be as simple or as detailed as you like

Well, another growing season is quickly coming to a screeching halt. Many of the plants are starting to look like me, old and ragged. Many will remain until Jack Frost pays an overnight visit and then the time will come to add them to the compost pile. Remember, there are two ways to ...

‘Stand up and holler!’

We’re willing to guess that this photo was taken in the 1950s or early 1960s at Lock Haven High School, but the only thing we are sure about is that someone will recognize one or more of these spirited cheerleaders. If you do, please contact Wendy Stiver at The Express, by phoning ...

Assassins in the landscape

Most gardeners are aware of the beneficial insects that prowl their landscape, seeking out pests for a meal. The ones that might come to mind are lady bugs and praying mantids. Predators that are a little more hidden but equally effective are the assassin bugs. I am not entirely clear on why ...

Blood drives

TUESDAY — Boggs Township Community Building, 1290 Runville Road, Bellefonte, 12:30-6 p.m. WEDNESDAY — Howard Fire Hall, 14 Walnut St, 1:30-7 p.m. THURSDAY— Old Fort American Legion, 2829 Penns Valley Pike, Centre Hall, 1:30-6 p.m. Donors are asked to bring photo ID. Walk-ins are ...