Community

Scouts place flags on veterans’ graves

PHOTO PROVIDED Troop and Pack 54 of Beech Creek/Blanchard assisted their chartered organization, the Beech Creek America Legion Post 623, replacing worn flags on Veteran’s graves at Clark, Hays-Fearon and Sunnyside cemeteries. Pack 54 meets Tuesdays at the Friendship Community Center in ...

Old photo album UPDATE 

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Kiwanis Newsweek 1972 Former Lock Haven Express Publisher Charlie Ryan speaks at a Newsweek dinner, hosted by the Lock Haven Kiwanis club. Seated to Charlie’s left is Attorney Morton Fromm. To his far left is Glenn Tweed and seated at the far left is Martha Zeigler, the ...

Dear Annie: Obit omission

Dear Annie: I am in my 80s and recently lost my beloved sister-in-law, who was 90. She married my brother when I was just a child, and we had been close ever since. Aside from the many things I did for her, I loved her dearly as she was the last of my ties to my brothers, who have all passed ...

Local scouts lend a hand at Hyner Run Challenge

PHOTO PROVIDED Scouts BSA Troop 66B from Woolrich recently volunteered at the Hyner Run Challenge. They ran an aid station on top of the part of the race known as the SOB. Pictured are, front, Sheppard Hill; middle, Eli Hill, Robbie Lombardi, Ryan Lombardi, Ashton Peters; back, Caleb Frazier ...

Still time to participate in Flags of Honor

LOCK HAVEN —The Rotary Club of Downtown Lock Haven had an idea four years ago to honor veterans, first responders, and people important in one’s life. The idea came from seeing American flags flying proudly along Route 15 near Country Cupboard and gave way to the Flags of Honor that will ...

SENIOR CENTER MENUS

Bread available daily Monday — Baked hamloaf with pineapple sauce, green beans, candied sweet potatoes, oatmeal cookie Tuesday — Italian style meatballs with hoagie roll, cauliflower, warmed spiced peaches, pepper slaw Wednesday — Sausage gravy, fresh dropped biscuit, creamed peas, ...

Around the Town

Good Day and a very happy 95th birthday to Marian Currie of Jersey Shore, on Saturday! Word of the Day Symploce — Repetition of word at start of one and end of next clause. Quote of the Day “We always knew how to honor fallen soldiers. They were killed for our sake, they went out on ...

calendar of events

SATURDAY ∫ Lock Haven Area Shoe Bank, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Covenant United Methodist Church, 44 W. Main St., Lock Haven. After this event, the Shoe Bank will close for the summer, to re-open Aug. 17. ∫ Flag raising, 2 p.m., Rest Haven Memorial Park. The Jersey Shore Honor Guard will be ...

Reunions

MAY 20 — LHHS Class of 1952, 5 p.m., Santino’s in Jersey Shore. MAY 23 — Hammermill “office girls” reunion dinner, 5 p.m ., Rey Azteca. MAY 29 — LHHS and ICHS Classes of 1955, 12 p.m., Haywood’s on the Green, Mill Hall. JUNE 3 — LHHS and ICHS Classes of 1951 monthly ...

MEETINGS NEXT WEEK

Monday — Clinton County Commissioners, 9 a.m. Lock Haven City Council, 7 p.m. Bellefonte Borough Council, 7 p.m. Bald Eagle Township Supervisors, 6 p.m. Tuesday — Woodward Township Supervisors, 7 p.m. Wednesday — Bellefonte School Board, 7 p.m. Thursday — ...

CM JAZZ CATS

PHOTO PROVIDED Central Mountain Jazz Cats won an Excellence Award for “Music In The Parks” Competition this past Saturday, May 11, at Middletown High School. The Jazz Cats are under the direction of Ashley Crust.

WHAT’S HAPPENING IN HOWARD?

By Tammy Coakley For The Express SPAGHETTI BENEFIT A spaghetti supper to benefit Tina Brownson will be held on Friday, May 31, at the Howard fire hall. Tina was seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident on January 23. Another driver hit Tina’s car head-on and she suffered ...

calendar of events

TOMORROW ∫ Lock Haven Area Shoe Bank, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Covenant United Methodist Church, 44 W. Main St., Lock Haven. After this event, the Shoe Bank will close for the summer, to re-open Aug. 17. ∫ Flag raising, 2 p.m., Rest Haven Memorial Park. The Jersey Shore Honor Guard will be ...

Lycoming museums participating in national museums program

WILLIAMSPORT — Two Lycoming County Museums are participating in the 10th annual National Blue Star Museums Program, which provides free admission to families of those active duty military and veterans who provide proper identification. The program begins Armed Forces Day, Saturday, May 18, ...

Old photo album: Students at Cross Fork High School

PHOTO PROVIDED Students at Cross Fork High School take a moment from their class to pose for a photo between 1900 and 1910. Thank you western Clinton County Historian Charlie Barnum for sharing this photo with our readers!

Dear Annie: Beyond time to cut the cord

Dear Annie: I’ve been in this relationship for five years now, and my boyfriend, “Steve,” still puts his adult daughter, “June,” before me. I’m a parent, and I understand their relationship to a certain point, but there are boundaries crossed. June is 29. Every time she’s in a ...

cORRECTION

Republican Richard A. Grenell Sr. is running for a six year supervisor position in Noyes Township. The information was listed incorrectly in a previous edition of The Express. We apologize for the error. ——— The Express strives for accuracy in its reporting. If there is a mistake, we ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Birthday to Zane Brooks! Word of the Day Glissade — moving on snow without skis. Quote of the Day “Self-control means wanting to be effective at some random point in the infinite radiations of my spiritual existence.” — Franz Kafka CCC Camp S-87 (Cross ...

Smokey the Bear turns 75

This year Smokey Bear celebrates his 75th birthday of leading the nation’s fight to prevent wildfires. During this time, Smokey Bear has become an iconic figure throughout many parts of the nation. However, many Pennsylvanians are unaware that spring has the greatest occurrence of ...

Local residents initiated into Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi

LOCK HAVEN — The following local residents were recently initiated into The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s oldest and most selective all-discipline collegiate honor society, at Lock Haven University. Tanessa Dickey, Marissa Faranda, Jacquelyn Newlen, Tamia Roach, Lindsey ...