Community

SENIOR CENTER MENUS

Bread available daily Monday — Chicken pot pie, mixed vegetables, orange. Tuesday — Swedish meatballs, peas with pearl onions, halushkie, peaches. Wednesday — Cheddar cheese omelet, creamed corn, stewed tomatoes, oatmeal apple sauce cake. Thursday — Mexican taco salad with ...

Old photo album

PHOTO PROVIDED Coal for just $1.25 a ton! This old advertisement was given to The Express by Center Street, Lock Haven, resident Sandra Wall Fravel, whose grandparents or great-grandparents owned a coal mine in Stronach, Pa. (in the Clearfield area). The exact time the advertisement was ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: When is it OK to spy on your wife’s deleted text messages with a “guy friend”? My wife has been guarding her phone since I found out she had been texting a guy she first claimed was a childhood friend. The story changed to, “It was a boyfriend.” And although I am somewhat ...

To Your Good Health

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: I am 66 and have always been in good health. I walk four or five times a week and do mild weight training two or three times a week. I eat a very healthy diet. I have low testosterone (339). My symptoms are insomnia, low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, ...

Meetings next week

Monday — Clinton County Commissioners, 9 a.m. Bald Eagle Township Supervisors, 6 p.m. Tuesday — Woodward Township Supervisors, 7 p.m. Centre County Commissioners, 10 a.m. Clinton County Planning Commission, 7 p.m. Wednesday — Clinton County Economic Partnership, 7 ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy 18th anniversary to Barry and Kath Wunz of Axemann, Bellefonte, on Sunday! Quote of the Day “Evolution has yet to transcend that simple barrier. We can care deeply - selflessly - about those we know, but that empathy rarely extends beyond our line of sight.” — Dr. ...

correction

Helping Hands, which offers free hygiene and cleaning supplies, will be open Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at United Evangelical Lutheran Church, First and West Church streets, Lock Haven. An incorrect time was listed in Friday’s paper. ————— The Express strives for accuracy in ...

Students plan ‘5K Run for Residents’ as senior project

LOCK HAVEN — Central Mountain High School student Jocelyn Wallace, and David Kramer, a student at Jersey Shore High School, are organizing a “5K Run for Residents” event as their senior projects to benefit Susque-View Home. Susann Triponey, director of rehabilitation at Susque-View, ...

LOCAL BRIEFS

Penn College offers courses for SATs WILLIAMSPORT — Workforce Development & Continuing Education at Pennsylvania College of Technology is offering a course to help high school students prepare for the standardized test used as an admissions tool by many institutions of higher ...

Howard Happenings

ADVENT SALE Advent Church and Historical Museum will hold their fall yard and bake sale on Sept. 14 from 9-5 and on Sept. 15 from 9-noon. Donations of good, clean and working yard sale items have been dropped off at the big tent that has been set up at the church. Baked goods were dropped off ...

Old photo album

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Town of Howard celebrates bicentennial In 1976, the community of Howard celebrated the nation’s bicentennial by planting a number of decorative plants. The people may have been members of the Howard Civic Club, but we don’t know their names. We also don’t know exactly ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I have been overweight my entire life. Because of a diabetes scare a couple of years ago, I lost 50 pounds, primarily through running and modifying my diet. My self-esteem has greatly improved because I now have more energy to keep up with my kids and can go for longer walks with my ...

To Your Good Health

International travelers still must be aware of the Zika virus BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: My son and his new wife went on a dream honeymoon that has since turned into a nightmare. They went to Costa Rica and of course were bitten by mosquitoes. Upon returning home, they were told ...

Calendar of Events

TODAY - “Free yard sale,” 9 a.m.-2 p.m., God’s Eternal Life Church, 30 Woodward Ave., Dunnstown, across from Mini Mart. - Free program on Medicare fraud by PA Senior Medicare Patrol, 10 a.m., Ross Library, 232 W. Main St., Lock Haven, 570-748-3321, www.rosslibrary.org. - Opening ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Birthday to Nancy Miller! Word of the Day Eponym — A person whose name is or is thought to be the source of the name of something, such as a city or country. Quote of the Day “The greatest remedy for anger is delay.” — Lucius Annaeus Seneca It’s ...

Conservation District makes annual tour

From staff reports LAMAR — The 2018 Clinton County Conservation District held its annual tour recently and made two stops. Both locations are current National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitted sites in Porter Township. The purpose of the tour is multi-faceted. ...

Lycoming levee improvement project gets $1 million grant

WILLIAMSPORT– A critical flood control project will receive a needed financial boost through Pennsylvania’s Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP), according to state Sen. Gene Yaw (R-23). Yaw said that the $1 million RACP grant will be used to rehabilitate and recertify the ...

Old photo album

PHOTO PROVIDED An LHU women’s group in 1916 This is the I.E.P. group in 1915-16 at Central State Normal School, now Lock Haven University. The group’s motto was “Esse quam videri,” a Latin phrase that means “to be, rather than to seem.” The officers were: President Mabel McNeal, ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My husband of over 30 years is a great person, successful and well-educated. I love him dearly except for one annoying thing. He draws on people’s photos in magazines and newspapers. Almost daily, for a few minutes after breakfast or dinner, he’ll draw mustaches, knocked-out ...

To Your Good Health

Shingles vaccine protocol while taking an antiviral suppressant BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: I am a 60-year-old woman who has been taking a 200-mg tablet of acyclovir (Zovirax) every day for HSV-2 suppression. I may have an outbreak every few years, and they are pretty mild. When I ...