Community

Calendar of events

TODAY r Fall clean-up, 10 a.m., Lock Haven Triangle gardens across from the Post Office and at the Monument. Hosted by the Dogwood Circle. Rain date Tuesday, Oct. 16. r National Alliance on Mental Illness monthly meeting, 6:30 p.m., Ross Library, third floor. Speaker – Michelle Terry of ...

CM Lady Wildcats host first alumni soccer game

MILL HALL — Saturday, Oct. 6, alumni of the Lady Wildcat soccer program came together in the first-ever alumni game. Event participants varied from recent graduates of Central Mountain to women who graduated from Lock Haven and Bald Eagle Nittany in the mid 90s. The stands were packed to ...

Calendar of Events

SATURDAY - Soup and bake sale with luncheon, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., Howard United Methodist Church. Proceeds to benefit the Howard Fire Company. - Beef vegetable soup sale, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., Bald Eagle Presbyterian Church, Mill Hall. Take-out only, call 570-726-4112 to place advanced orders. If ...

Reunions

OCT. 13 — 1961 BEN Class, 11:30 luncheon, Fox’s Market House Restaurant. OCT. 17 — LHHS and ICHS Class of 1959 luncheon, 12 noon, Dutch Haven Restaurant. Call Diana Condo at 570-660-5295 with questions. OCT. 17 — Old Mill Hall School committee, 1:30 p.m., Mill Hall United ...

Meetings Next Week

Monday — Clinton County Commissioners, 9 a.m. Bellefonte Borough Council, 7 p.m. Tuesday — Centre County Commissioners, 10 a.m. Woodward Township Supervisors, 7 p.m. Clinton County Planning Commission, 7 p.m. Thursday — Keystone Central School Board at Bucktail

Old photo album

EXPRESS ARCHIVES 1971 Flaming Foliage Queen Linda Johnston, Miss. Montoursville, gets a little emotional while being crowned 1971 Flaming Foliage Queen by 1970’s queen Linell Ruyon, of Milton. The Express wanted to share a memory of the festival in celebration of the 2018 Flaming Foliage ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I was widowed two years ago. I joined a group last year that gets out and does things together. About 10 months ago, I started dating one of the guys in the group. We are both in our 60s. In the beginning, he called and asked me to dinner and other activities. Now, when I am running ...

To Your Good Health

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: What cures heartburn and indigestion? — R.G. ANSWER: It’s easier to answer what causes heartburn and indigestion, because treatment depends on the underlying problem. The most common cause of heartburn is gastroesophageal reflux disease. The contents ...

See you later, alligator

I was at a meeting the other day. Tourism. We’re working on some tourism projects, and I was invited to contribute the historical aspect. On the way out, I happened to mention to Express Publisher Bob Rolley an interesting local fact: The designer of the first Civil War submarine lived in ...

SENIOR CENTER MENUS

Bread available daily Monday — Breaded chicken cordon bleu, creamy garlic shells, fall vegetable blend and fresh apple. Tuesday —Meatloaf sandwich with whole grain bread, parsley potatoes, garlic spinach and chocolate pudding. Wednesday —Keilbasse casserole, halushkie, warmed sliced ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy 89th Birthday to Betty Schantz! Word of the Day Oubliette — A secret dungeon whose only entrance is through a trapdoor in the ceiling. A place you put people...to forget about them. Quote of the Day “Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I ...

Football frenzy

JERSEY SHORE — Last year, the inaugural Central Mountain vs. Jersey Shore Alumni football game at Don Malinak Stadium in Mill Hall was a huge success. This year, the schools are planning a sequel of sorts, another game in the storied rivalry between the two schools. For 2018, the ...

Rep. Thompson, LHU to host educational seminar

LOCK HAVEN - U.S. Rep. Glenn “GT” Thompson will join students from high schools across the region for the tenth year during an educational seminar entitled “Pathways to Opportunity” at Lock Haven University hosted by the Government Outreach Program. The event is currently sponsored ...

Old photo album

Edgar Scholarship winner Jennifer Miele, second from right, receives a check for a scholarship in July 1991. The scholarship is listed as Edgar Scholarship but we are unsure if that is the official titled. Also pictured, from left, are Keith Bierly, John Saylor and Vicki Bumbarger. Anyone ...

To Your Good Health

Cannabis and its effect on motor vehicle accidents BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: In a recent column, you mentioned that “Cannabis adversely affects driving ability.” Yet, further on in the article, you state that, “Early data from areas that legalized recreational marijuana ...

Howard Happenings

WEEKEND EVENTS Howard Area Lions will be collecting funds in Beech Creek today and tomorrow for White Cane Days. Please drop your coins and dollars into the Lions’ collection cans that will be donated to programs that benefit the blind. Donate your old eye glasses to the Lions Club since ...

Calendar of events

TODAY - Opening reception for exhibit by Perry Winkler, 6-9 p.m., The Station Gallery, 2 E. Bald Eagle St., Lock Haven, 570-748-0949, www.stationgalleryccac.org. - Sugar Valley Lions Club Bingo, Lions/Sportsmen’s Club in Loganton, doors open at 6 p.m., games start at 7 p.m. There will be ...

LOCAL BRIEFS

STEP collecting cold weather gear for Head Start kids LOCK HAVEN — STEP Head Start is collecting mittens, gloves, hats, and scarves for Head Start children again this year from Oct.1 until Dec. 14. Over the last few years, this project has been able to keep more than 600 children’s ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Birthday to John Gugliocciello, 79, of Flemington! Fall Clean Up Dogwood Circle Garden Club will conduct its annual fall clean up at the City gardens at the Triangle across from the Post Office and at the Monument on Monday, October 15 at 10 a.m. (Rain date October ...

Charter School to host candidates night Oct. 18

STATE COLLEGE - The students of the Young Scholars of Central Pennsylvania (YSCP) Charter School will hold a Meet the Candidates night at their school on Thursday, Oct. 18, beginning at 7 p.m. The candidates for U.S. Senate and House of Representatives from the 15th and 12th Congressional ...