Community

LHU holds annual Natural Sciences Convocation

LOCK HAVEN— Lock Haven recently held its 58th annual Natural Sciences Convocation on Friday, Nov. 9 in Ulmer Hall Planetarium. The program, sponsored and arranged by the departments of biological sciences, chemistry, and geology and physics, celebrated the achievements of LHU science ...

Lock Haven University raises money for student retention

LOCK HAVEN — Lock Haven University President, Robert Pignatello, sang more than 40 soft-rock classics at the Broke Axe Brew House in Lock Haven on Friday, Nov. 16, helping to raise more than $6,000 for the university’s Student Retention Fund. “We lose far too many students, often times ...

Old photo album

Ice skating at Groves Pond Crowds of kids and adults brave the chilly weather to go ice skating at Groves Pond in Flemington. We are unsure of the date this photo was taken. Anyone who has more information about this photo is encouraged to contact Laura Jameson at The Express, by ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My daughter and son-in-law live in another state. He is a doctor, and she is a nurse. They are both 30 and have no student loan debt. They have two kids. I go up and visit whenever I can. I don’t make near the amount of money they do, but when we all go out to eat, I have to pay ...

calendar of events

Today - 16th Annual Stocking Stuffer preview party at the Centre Furnace Mansion, 1001 E. College Ave., State College, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. RSVP required, call 814-234-4779. Nov. 30 - Opening reception for Clinton County Arts Council members holiday show and sale, 6-9 p.m., The Station ...

To Your Good Health

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: Is there such a thing as male menopause, with the associated hot flashes? My problem is hot flashes. I am a 93-year-old male in fairly good health; I am active, but not enough, though I maintain a year-round garden. I’ve beaten prostate cancer with a ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY ... and Happy Birthday to Tim Grenninger Ham Potpie dinner Everybody’s invided to a ham potpie dinner, from noon to 1:30 p.m. at Flemington First Church of Christ, Fairpoint Road. Take-out available. Open to the public. Cost $8 adults; under 10, $3. Porter Twp. Farmer’s ...

Veterans honored during ceremony at LHU

From staff reports LOCK HAVEN — The Clinton County Veterans Affairs Office and Lock Haven University recognized veterans past and present during their annual Veterans Day ceremony at LHU’s Durrwachter Alumni Conference Center. University President Robert Pignatallo offered ...

New Kiwanis officers installed for 2019

BOB ROLLEY/THE EXPRESS The Kiwanis Club of Lock Haven recently installed new officers for 2018-2019, and some took time at a meeting for this photo. From left are Steve Stevenson, vice president; Conrad Schlesinger, secretary, Jeff Snyder, new president; Lisa Bangson, president-elect; Jeff ...

FOE donates to Yeti baseball

PHOTO PROVIDED The Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie 4298 gave a generous donation to the Yeti Baseball Team. The Eagles is an international service organization with the Motto “People Helping People” and supports many organizations in the local community, among them the Salvation Army, ...

Grace Confer, 91, gets a ride in a Piper plane

From staff reports LOCK HAVEN — Grace Confer, a resident of Susque-View Home Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Lock Haven and retiree of the William T. Piper Lock Haven Airport has always had a lifelong dream of one day flying in a Piper aircraft. Susque-View staff member, Trisha ...

Thankfulness at Covenant Cafe

PHOTOS PROVIDED Above, Students from the YMCA Pre-school along with their teachers Miss Sierra and Miss Carol were guests of the Covenant Cafe where they participated in a pumpkin hunt and made turkeys in anticipation of Thanksgiving. Below, Local veteran Terry Banfill was the guest ...

Celebrate the holidays at STEP Inc.

Centers are open 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for holidays. Clinton County Community Center 124 E. Walnut St. (STEP building in Clinton Plaza) 858-5800 Dec. 5 — Holiday survival guide discussion/handout, 11:30 a.m. Dec. 7 — Card Party, 1 p.m. Dec. 12 — ...

The Silver Lining

Be Thankful Have I been thankful enough As I’ve gone through my years Did I appreciate my blessings Or face my difficulties with tears Did I fret about tomorrow Of things that may not appear And miss out on today Or blessings that were right there. Did circumstances seem so ...

Old photo album

PHOTO PROVIDED Lock Haven Boat Club Pictured are members of the Lock Haven Boat Club on the bank of the Susquehanna River. We’re unsure of when this photo was taken or who may be pictured. Anyone who has more information about this photo is encouraged to contact Laura Jameson at The ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: What is the etiquette with handicapped stalls in restrooms? When I go into a public restroom and there are multiple stalls to choose from, I like to go with the handicapped one because it’s roomier. I imagine that many other people do, too. Is that wrong? If I ever saw someone ...

To Your Good Health

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: I just read your column regarding concerns about taking tramadol long term for arthritis pain. I am a 74-year-old female, and I take one or two 50-mg tablets a day, depending on my pain level. Most days, my pain is controlled on that dose. I also take ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY ... to Sue Lunger of Jersey Shore Word of the Day Xanthometer —instrument for measuring colour of sea or lake water. Quote of the Day “Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.” — John F. Kennedy Model Railroad Club open house Sunday Clinton Central ...

calendar of events

Nov. 29 - 16th Annual Stocking Stuffer preview party at the Centre Furnace Mansion, 1001 E. College Ave., State College, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. RSVP required, call 814-234-4779. Nov. 30 - Opening reception for Clinton County Arts Council members holiday show and sale, 6-9 p.m., The Station ...

College Republicans gather, donate food for Thanksgiving

LOCK HAVEN - Partnering with Weis Markets, Lock Haven University College Republicans purchased and packed all of the fare needed for a successful Thanksgiving dinner and then delivered it to several local families. Food items included turkey, stuffing, vegetables and noodles and were donated ...