Community

Penn State grad to lead Centre’s Red Cross office

BELLEFONTE — Hope Roaten, of Elizabethtown, has been named the new executive director of the American Red Cross Mid-Central Pennsylvania Chapter, which covers Centre, Mifflin, Juniata, Perry and Cumberland Counties. A three-year veteran of the Red Cross, Roaten most-recently served as the ...

Calendar of Events

SATURDAY - Breakfast buffet, 6-11 a.m., Albright United Methodist Church, 46 E. Main St., Loganton. Cost: $10 ages 12 and up, $5 ages 5 to 12, kids under 5 eat free. - Yard sale, 8-11 a.m., rain or shine, Oval United Methodist Church, 67696 State Route 44 Hwy., Jersey Shore. - Nittany ...

REUNIONS

SEPT. 8 — Goat Hill/Center School reunion, 11 a.m., Wayne Township Nature Park, meal at 12 noon. Bring a dish to share; table service and drinks will be provided. Info: 814-355-7448 or call Karis Kellander at 570-769-6563. SEPT. 10 — LHHS Class of 1950, noon at Creekside, Mill Hall. ...

MEETINGS NEXT WEEK

Monday — Clinton County Commissioners, 9 a.m. Lock Haven City Council, 7 p.m. Tuesday — Centre County Commissioners, 10 a.m. Bellefonte School Board, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday — Clinton County Prison Board, 10:30 a.m. Clinton County Solid Waste Authority, 6:30 p.m. ...

Blood Drives Ahead

MONDAY — Two drives: Tri County North Central Church, 205 Main St., Mill Hall, 1-6 p.m., and New Hope Lutheran Church, 119 Cobblestone Court, Spring Mills, 1:30-7 p.m. TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY — Lock Haven University Rec Center, Railroad Street, 12 noon-6 p.m. ——— Donors are ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I have a dear friend who lives nearby, but for some reason, he will not contact me. We grew up together, and a year ago, I helped him, his wife and his dogs out after Hurricane Irma knocked out electricity at their home. He has never really thanked me, and he never calls me. And I ...

SENIOR CENTER MENUS

Bread available daily Monday — Spaghetti and meatballs with tomato sauce, Italian green beans, three-bean salad. Tuesday — Creamy honey mustard chicken, peas and cauliflower, brown rice, orange. Wednesday — Cheeseburger, shaved brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, chocolate chip ...

Pharmacist at Alzheimer’s Support Group

LOCK HAVEN —Jeff Packech, pharmacist and owner of Keller and Munro Drug Store in Lock Haven will be the guest speaker at the next meeting of the Alzheimer’s Support Group on Tuesday, Sept. 11 in Conference Room B of Susque-View. Packech will talk about “Medication Management for ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Birthday on Sunday to David Theodore Andrus, Oakland Park, Fla., formerly of Lock Haven, 66 years old! Word of the Day Satiety — The state of being fed to or beyond capacity; alternatively the revulsion or disgust caused by overindulgence or excess. Quote of the ...

McDonalds open during drive-through renovations

LAURA JAMESON/THE EXPRESS McDonald’s restaurant on Bellefonte Avenue remains open, despite renovations to the drive-through, outside the building and the play area inside the restaurant. Customers must enter off Bellefonte Avenue and park in the lot closest to Citizens Hose Co. and go ...

Giving Circle Members Grant $10,000 to ACRES Project

STATE COLLEGE - On Wednesday, Aug. 29, members of Centre Foundation’s Giving Circle gathered at Above the Valley for their annual cocktail reception to hear presentations from three local organizations: ACRES Project, Bellefonte Art Museum, and Discovery Space. After members’ votes were ...

Lycoming College launches new Entrepreneurship minor for students

WILLIAMSPORT— Just one year after Lycoming College added entrepreneurship classes to the curriculum, and appointed Marshall Welch III to the position of Sloter Endowed Chair in Entrepreneurship, the college is debuting entrepreneurship as a new minor available to all students, regardless of ...

Howard Happenings

LIONS CLUB NEWS Mark your calendars that Howard Area Lions Food Bank dates in September have been changed because of the Labor Day holiday. Distribution will be on Sept. 10 for Centre County residents and Sept. 17 for Beech Creek area residents. Food bank hours are from 2-4 p.m. at the former ...

Old photo album UPDATE

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Quilting was part of Heritage Days Nancy Lockard, left, of Linden teaches the basics of quilting on Oct. 30, 1992 to sixth grade students from Porter Township Elementary School at Lamar. The students are, from left, Michelle Keches, Holly Farrington, Gretchen Rosser, ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’m an old guy with some advice for other older people in the workforce. I’ve been a contract attorney working in health care for over 30 years. When I got let go from my company three years ago after 15 years, I’m telling you, finding another job was the hardest job I’ve ...

To Your Good Health

Alcohol use not the only, or even most likely, cause of cirrhosis BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: I am a 78-year-old woman who was diagnosed just one year ago with primary biliary cirrhosis, which is an autoimmune liver disease. It was determined that it took me many years to get to ...

calendar of events

TODAY - Nittany Antique Machinery Show with vendors open 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Penns Cave, Centre Hall. - Free screening and discussion of the 2000 film “Remember the Titans” (PG), 1-4 p.m., Centre County Library and Historical Museum, 203 N. Allegheny St., Bellefonte, 814-355-1516, ...

LOCAL BRIEFS

Black Moshannon Monster Hunt Race Oct. 6 PHILIPSBURG — Calling all spooky monster hunters! The 7th Annual Black Moshannon Monster Hunt, an adventure scavenger race, will be held at Black Moshannon State Park on Oct. 6. You will go to a station, complete an activity, and get a clue ...

Around the Town

Good Day to Jackie Bartos! Word of the Day Adulation — Excessive or slavish admiration or flattery. Quote of the Day “Paradise was made for tender hearts; hell, for loveless hearts.” — Voltaire Flaming Foliage fundraisers Flaming Foliage Cow Puckie Bingo with ham pot pie ...

Cleanup of Sayers Lake is Saturday

BLANCHARD —Foster Joseph Sayers Lake has a new comrade, Keep Centre County Beautiful (KCCB). Everyone is invited to meet and work alongside KCCB’s executive director Rod Fye during a three-hour paddle and boat shoreline community litter cleanup this Saturday. Fye has been surveying ...