Community

PHOTO PROVIDED
 JSHS VEX team members display their robot at a competition, From left are Owen Knepp, Rachel Garrett, and Ryan Stratton.

Jersey Shore High School’s VEX team on the road again

JERSEY SHORE — The Jersey Shore High School VEX team is back on the road again this winter season. Under the leadership of senior Ryan Stratton, VEX has grown to two competitive teams. New and returning team members are Tallon Anderson, Tony Ramos, Rachel Garrett, Owen Knepp, Victoria ...

Author to speak at Martin Luther King Day celebration

LOCK HAVEN— James Braxton Peterson, director of Africana studies and professor of English at Lehigh University, will speak about “the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and how students can continue his work” at the Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration at Lock Haven University. ...

Around the town

Good Day and Happy Birthday to Bob Lannan! Word of the Day Filipendulous — Hanging by a thread. Quote of the Day “Life is something to do when you can’t get to sleep.” — Fran Lebowitz Offices closed Centre County Government offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 15 in ...

Calendar of events

TOMORROW r Nittany Valley Writers Network, 6:30 p.m., Schlow Library’s Community Room at Penn State. WEDNESDAY r Beech Creek Jr. Legion sign-up, -7 p.m., Leo’s in Lock Haven. Questions: Kreg Stark at 570-295-1346 or Daren Stover at 814-482-0470. ——— Send us the news of your ...

Thompson hits tax reform highlights

By WENDY STIVER wstiver@lockhaven.com LOCK HAVEN — U.S. Rep. Glenn “GT” Thompson stopped at The Express community newspaper Thursday, between a morning spent talking with local dairy farmers and attending a lunch meeting of the Lock Haven Kiwanis Club. A resident of Howard, and vice ...

Candy shop opening soon in downtown Bellefonte

By EMMA GOSALVEZ egosalvez@lockhaven.com BELLEFONTE— Get ready to be transported back to childhood or make new, sweet memories with your own children, as an old-time candy shop will soon be opening its doors in Bellefonte. Owner Chuck Kormanski, 55, of Bellefonte, realized his new dream ...

Pennsylvania Farm Show returns with new attractions

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — The Pennsylvania Farm Show is returning with a few new attractions this year. Harrisburg is hosting the 102nd annual show from Friday through Jan. 13. The show boasts nearly 6,000 animals and 300 commercial exhibits. Officials are debuting a collection of new ...

Road work begins Monday in Wayne, Bald Eagle

LOCK HAVEN —Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) Clinton County Maintenance crews will perform shoulder and bank work in Clinton County next week on the following roadways in Wayne and Bald Eagle townships. r Pine Mountain Road (Route 2012) from the Love Run Bridge to ...

Blood Drives Ahead

Monday — New Hope Lutheran Church, 119 Cobblestone Court, Spring Mills, 1:30-7 p.m. Friday — Woolrich Community United Methodist Church, 1080 Park Ave., 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Next Saturday — Faith United Methodist Church, 512 Hughes St., Bellefonte, 9 a.m.- 2 p.m. Donors are asked to ...

calendar of events

SATURDAY r Porter Township Activity Center breakfast, 7-10 a.m. at the community center. r Clinton Central Model Railroad Club open house, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., former train station, 15 Logan Ave., Castanea; free admission; light lunch items available. Information: www.ccmrr.org. SUNDAY r ...

Family Life broadcasts in Lock Haven

BATH, N.Y., —Family Life, a listener-supported Christian radio network based in Bath, N.Y., is broadcasting its contemporary Christian music and programming in Lock Haven on 102.3 FM. The signal stretches east along Route 220 toward Williamsport and north along Route 120, reaching a potential ...

Patience needed for sweet payoffs from indoor citrus

By MELISSA KOSSLER DUTTON Associated Press When Heather Rhoades bought her first indoor orange tree nearly 20 years ago, she had to order it from a specialty online retailer. Now, it’s not uncommon to find citrus trees at local gardening centers or big box stores, said Rhoades, owner of ...

Gardening in January?

MILL HALL — What can gardeners do in the middle of January? Attend the annual Garden Sense Symposium presented by the Penn State Master Gardeners of Clinton County. It’s a perfect opportunity to cast off the winter blues and delve into learning, planning, and preparing for the upcoming ...

Our communities are called to worship

Assembly of God JERSEY SHORE AREA Main Street, Antes Fort Rob Archey, pastor Worship 10:30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Wednesday 7 p.m. MILL HALL Echo Hope Assembly 320 Hogan Blvd., Craig Cross, pastor Fellowship 9:30 a.m., worship 10 a.m. Baptist AVIS Walnut Street Baptist at ...

PENNSYLVANIA HAS NEW RECORD BUCK

WESTMORELAND COUNTY — History was made once again this year at the Pennsylvania Game Commission headquarters, when a trophy whitetail rack shattered the previous record in the Typical Archery category in the state records. Ron Shaulis, of West Newton, Pa., harvested the trophy buck on Oct. ...

Why do we count?

By GARY METZGER It’s pitch black inside and out when the alarm softly chimes Saturday morning. I quietly slip out to the den, into my long johns and other warm clothes, and gather up Dusky dog for his earlier-than-normal walk around the neighborhood pond. It’s 17 degrees, starless, but ...

Game Commission suspends seedling sales to public

HOWARD — Tree and shrub seedlings from the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s Howard Nursery will not be offered for sale to the public this year due to drastically low inventories, the commission has stated. Seedlings will continue to be supplied to participants in the Seedlings for ...

Shifting the emphasis

As a public speaker and sometime writer, I have maintained an abiding fascination with the English language. English is my native tongue and, with the exception of a brief foray into Spanish, my work language. I can’t claim to use perfect English, but I try. I was reminded recently of ...

A new set of pipes Former parishioner’s gift inspires a concert

By GIA MAZUR Times Shamrock SCRANTON (AP) — St. Luke’s Episcopal Church breathes new life into its classic pipe organ encircled in history. The church, at 232 Wyoming Ave., hosted a rededication concert Friday at 7 p.m. for the newly refurbished 1964 M. P. Moller pipe organ, followed ...

Taking action in 2018 can make a real difference

Happy new year, kind readers! When you set out to write a column that will appear in the first week of January, it is tempting to follow the lead of others and offer tips and strategies for the new year. That’s what I intended to do. I planned to suggest some literacy-based practices for ...