Trial in city shooting now slated in April
LOCK HAVEN – It appears a man accused of shooting another at a home in Lock Haven in 2013 is going to trial, but a plea deal has been discussed, according to court officials.
A four-day trial by jury is slated for late April in the case of Charles “Chuck” Albert Shaffer Jr., of Lock Haven, accused of attempted homicide at a Lock Haven residence in late 2013.
Shaffer Jr., 53, of Lock Haven, is charged with attempted homicide in the Casey Farley, also of Lock Haven, after Shaffer accused Farley of stealing prescription medication at a home on Water Street, where the two men lived, police said.
Shaffer’s charges include felony counts of attempted homicide and aggravated assault, and misdemeanor charges of terroristic threats and recklessly endangering another person, and two counts of simple assault.
The court docket indicates jury selection will begin March 11 and Clinton County Judge Michael Salisbury has scheduled the trial to begin Tuesday, April 26.
The case has been delayed several times to deal with preparation by Shaffer’s new defense attorney, Marc Decker of State College, and other all pre-trial matters.
Decker, replaced public defender David Lindsay on the case, and said he needed more time to prepare the defense.
There are reports that conversations continue between prosecution and defense when it comes to a plea offer. A recommendation for a sentence of four to eight years on the first-degree felony charge of aggravated assault had been previously mentioned.
Read the full story in tomorrow’s Express.