Jersey Shore man shot dead

Police: Cody Englert killed after forcing his way into home

LANA MUTHLER/THE EXPRESS This mobile home at 925 Fourth St., Avis, is where Cody Englert was shot and killed early Wednesday morning.

AVIS — A 30-year-old Jersey Shore man was killed early Wednesday morning after state police said he forced entry into a Pine Creek Township house and was shot by the resident of that home.

“On Sept. 13, 2017 at approximately 1:50 a.m., Cody J. Englert forced entry into a home located at 925 Fourth St., Avis. Englert was shot by a known resident of that location and died at the scene. The known resident is cooperating with the investigation,” police said in a brief press release issued late Wednesday afternoon.

Englert was pronounced dead at the scene by Clinton County Coroner Zach Hanna.

An autopsy was scheduled Wednesday afternoon at Mt. Nittany Medical Center in State College, Hanna said.

Police said the investigation into the death is ongoing, but there is no threat to the public.

At mid-morning, yellow police tape cordoned off the area in front of the single-wide, tan colored mobile home where the shooting occurred, as state police from Lamar and Montoursville continued their investigation inside. Troopers could be seen walking in and out of the home and a state police forensics van was parked in the driveway.

The home is about two blocks from Avis Elementary School, in a residential area that includes several mobile homes among the dwellings.

Kathleen Day, who lives in the mobile home next door, was sitting on the steps of her home at about 9 a.m. and spoke to this reporter about what she saw and heard.

“It was about 1 a.m. I heard a big bang. The dog started barking. I thought somebody kicked my door at first… it was really loud,” Day said.

“I got up and went out and looked, and pretty soon I saw police cars over there. I’m really scared. This is too close. It really shook us up,” she continued, saying her husband, Carl, daughter Shayna and granddaughter Huananni live with her.

“I think it’s time for us to get out of Dodge. I think we’ll get the place fixed up, sell it and move away. I don’t want to live here anymore. Anything can happen and we’re right here in the middle,” she continued.

She said she really didn’t know who lived in the home where the shooting took place.

Other neighbors down the street were being interviewed by a state police investigator who was walking the neighborhood, talking to residents in the area.

Jack Brown Sr. said he didn’t hear anything early that morning and wasn’t aware anything had happened until he saw the police cruiser at the end of the block.

“There are a lot of kids out here… police are always out here. It’s mostly minor stuff,” Brown said.

Patrick K. Long, who lives across the street from Brown, said he didn’t hear anything either.

A young woman getting into her car, declined to comment on the situation.

During the day on Wednesday, the neighborhood was quiet. Others who live in close proximity to the scene of the shooting were not at home or at least weren’t outside.

Also assisting at the scene were Lock Haven City Police, Pine Creek Township Police, the Clinton County District Attorney, and Jersey Shore EMS.