City to vacate a portion of Third Avenue

By LAURA JAMESON

ljameson@lockhaven.com

LOCK HAVEN — City council on Monday night unanimously approved an ordinance to vacate a portion of Third Avenue between Murray Motors and its adjoining parking lot.

“The council of the city of Lock Haven has determined that it is not for the public good or interest of the City of Lock Haven that the portion of Third Avenue be retained as part of the system of the streets of the city,” the ordinance reads.

City Manager Gregory Wilson said the city would vacate from where the road connects with Bellefonte Avenue down to the end of Murray Motors parking lot on the western side of the street. The property will be split into two sections and given to two property owners, Murray Motors and the city’s garage, he said.

“The vacation turns half of the street over to each adjoining property owner. Half goes to Murray Motors on the street section where the city has the garage and half would go to the garage.”

The splitting of the roadway into two sections was done to help tie things together if land were to be traded in exchange for the city having more than half of its portion of Third Avenue, Wilson said.

Businesses located past this section of the roadway would still be easy to access, he said.

“It would leave the end of Third open,” he said. “There is a business past Murray Motors… that business would still have full frontage access.”

Although the property will be given to the property owners near the street, the city will still have the ability to enter the property to repair any city-owned utilities or drainage located on or under the roadway.

All members of council were present for Monday night’s meeting.

OTHER BUSINESS

– Mayor William Baney III announced he is undergoing cancer treatment which will continue until the end of 2019 and possibly beyond. “I’d like to thank the community for their support and well wishes for a speedy recovery for me,” he said.

– Council approved applying to the county for $44,397 in liquid fuel funds. The funds were originally part of a three-year reimbursement of the city’s East Walnut Street paving project, which was completed last year, but was changed due to a paperwork error not made by the city, Wilson said.

– Council awarded a bid for the installation of a utility water system at the wastewater treatment plant to two companies for a total cost of $420,500. The Howard Company, of Bloomsburg, was awarded the electrical contract in the amount of $74,500 and Harger Utilities, of Lock Haven, was awarded the construction contract at a cost of $346,000.

The total cost of the project will be split between grant-supported funds and the city’s 2016 borrowed proceeds, with $235,440 paid for in grants through the Department of Community and Economic Development and $174,060 taken from the borrowed proceeds, Wilson said.

– Council approved a banner request from Downtown Lock Haven Inc. allowing a Hometown Heroes Banner across Main Street announcing the sale of banners beginning May 1. Downtown Lock Haven Inc. Manager Kasey Campbell requested the banner be hung for six weeks but said she’s flexible with the time frame.

– Council approved banner installations for Lock Haven University on light poles along Jay Street and the north side of Water Street. The project is being completed through a partnership between the university and Downtown Lock Haven Inc.

Approximately 20 banners will be placed on county-owned light poles in the areas showcasing the university for visitors, Downtown Lock Haven Inc. President Robert Rolley said. The banners will not infringe on the Hometown Hero Banners already in place throughout the city, Rolley said.

– Council approved the closure of a section of Linden Street on June 22 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the annual Clinton County Housing Authority block party.

– Council appointed City Manager Greg Wilson to receive reports from Berkheimer, the city’s tax collector; appointed Joshua Hudson, of South Highland Street, to the Ross Library Board of Directors.

– Council learned that a total of $51,403.57 was earned through the sale of 27 pieces of equipment the city no longer used through Municibid.com.

Typically the city only makes a few thousand dollars each year in equipment sales, Wilson said, thanking He the director of public works Anthony Stopper for his work in making this one of the best sales for the city.

“He put a lot of time to making sure that (everything) got listed,” Wilson said. “The extra effort he put into the sale and listing on Municibid.com absolutely made a significant difference in the amount that we recouped from equipment we do not use anymore.”

COMMENTS