NOW is the time to check smoke, CO detectors

This week, the weather is supposed to turn toward “normal” … that is, colder.

You know, chilly mornings and nights before we turn back the clocks on Nov. 5.

So now, dear readers … NOW is the time to check the batteries and connections on your smoke and CO (carbon monoxide) detectors.

We repeat: NOW is the time.

As we all begin to use our boilers, furnaces, stoves and heaters more frequently — please, as our utilities always encourage us — take several simple steps to ensure the right and the safe way to warm your home or apartment.

Do not, for one moment, believe you are not suseptible to the build-up of carbon monoxide (CO).

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that is a by-product of the incomplete combustion of fuels such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, natural gas and propane, UGI reminds us.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness.

CO poisoning can be fatal.

People who think they might be experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning should immediately seek fresh air and prompt medical attention.

Again, please make sure working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are appropriately located within living spaces, and the batteries powering them are fresh.

CO detectors-alarms should be located on each floor of a home, including one in each bedroom or sleeping area.

It is important to note that CO detectors have a limited operating life. Check the manufacturer’s instructions for related information and replacement considerations.

Use caution when using unvented space heaters, which can be a source of CO.

Always follow manufacturer’s directions regarding use of these heaters.

Unvented heaters are designed for supplemental use only.

Do not use unvented heaters in bedrooms, bathrooms, or confined spaces.

Be sure to provide adequate ventilation in areas where a space heater is used.

Be safe .. not sorry.

COMMENTS