LOCK HAVEN - As part of the ongoing, continuing medical education programs for the medical staff at Lock Haven Hospital, board certified Surgeon Ahmad Ahad, M.D., recently delivered a presentation entitled Laparoscopic Surgery Today.
Ahad offered an overview of laparoscopic surgery including:
- The history of minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery
Pictured are, from left, Bharat Adroja, M.D.; Ahmad Ahad, M.D.; and Charles Foulsham, M.D. following Ahad’s presentation on laparoscopic surgery.
- The development of laparoscopic surgical techniques
- A comparison of outcomes between traditional surgical and lapaoscopic procedures.
- Advances in laparoscopic surgery
"Having Dr. Ahad, a fellowship trained surgeon, trained in laparoscopic procedures close to home is of great benefit to patients in the Lock Haven community," said John Zidansek, chief executive officer, Lock Haven Hospital. "This presentation clearly detailed the advantages to patients when laparoscopic techniques can be utilized."
Laparoscopic surgery is a minimally invasive surgical technique in which operations in the abdomen are performed through small incisions as compared to the larger incisions needed in more traditional forms of surgery.
Ahad detailed the advantages for patients of utilizing laparoscopic techniques including:
- A shorter recovery equals a quicker return to work/activity
- Less chance of wound infections
- Less chance of nerve injury
- Reduced re-occurance of the original problem
- Shorter length of stay and reduction of costs.
Ahad is board certified in general surgery by the American Board of Surgery and completed his fellowship training in advanced laparoscopic and bariatric surgery at the University of Texas Science Center, Houston, Texas. He served his general surgery residency at Providence Hospital, Southfield, Mich. While at Providence Hospital, Dr. Ahad also completed a research fellowship in craniofacial, plastic and reconstructive surgery. Dr. Ahad earned his medical degree from King Edward Medical College in Lahore, Pakistan.
Ahad is accepting new patients and is available for surgical consults and office visits by calling Haven Surgical Associates at 748-0590.