LOCK HAVEN - Lock Haven University business students are afforded many opportunities to interact in real business settings.
LHU Professor Christos T. Kelepouris' Entrepreneurship class offers a unique opportunity for students to partner with local non-profit organizations.
Students in the class are placed in groups of four or five and are required to develop and implement fundraising projects for their partner, to help further their cause and increase awareness.
The project gives students the freedom of experiencing all necessary steps in organizing a successful campaign of projects.
The recent Polar Plunge was an example of a successful student run event was organized by Alicia Cacciotti, Amy Jugan, Sarah Morse, Marisa Morgan, and was held at the Woodward Township Boat Launch to benefit the Multiple Sclerosis Society.
This group not only raised over $3,000 through their efforts and affiliations, but also went through the process of applying for the permits to host the event, coordinating with local fire departments and EMS, and solicited baked goods during the event for donations.
While many mini-events have taken place throughout the community, a few main events will still be held. As the students continue to work diligently and learn from their experiences, we invite you to come support them and your local community.
Here is a list of upcoming events and the agencies they benefit:
- Dog Wash, 1 to 4 p.m. today, Citizens Hose Co. No. 5, benefits SPCA
- Fungo Golf Tournament, Foundation Field, 3:30 to 6 p.m. today, benefits TAP.
- Water Ice, Bentley - Outside (on campus), 3 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, benefits Hope Hose Co.
- Karaoke Night, Avenue 209 Coffee House, 7 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, benefits Infant Development Program.
- Water Pong Tournament, Pizza City, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, benefits Hope Hose Co.
- BBQ, Himes Lawn (on campus), noon to 3 p.m. Friday, benefits SPCA.
- Poker Run, Lock Haven levee walk, 10 a.m. to noon, Saturday, benefits CCFA.
- Scavenger Hunt, LHU Campus Russel Lawn, noon to 5 p.m. May 6, benefits Big Brothers-Big Sisters.
- Raffle/Water Balloon Toss, LHU Campus, noon to 5 p.m. May 8, benefits Big Brothers-Big Sisters.
- Custom LHU Koozies, LHU Campus, ongoing, benefits Hope Hose Co.
Here are the students and groups involved:
- MS Society - Alicia Cacciotti, Sarah Morse, Amy Jugan, Marissa Morgan.
- TAP (The Aids Project) - Brent Hartman, Charles Mruskovic, Casey Hamilton.
- Hope Hose Co. - Tyler Voss, Brian Ward, Ethan Grohl, Tony Corl.
- Infant Development Program - Nick Zarzeczny, Jenna Liegey, Vicente Boix Gil, Jan Rowekamper.
- Salvation Army - Eddie Lowery, Dakota Roof, Gino Gagliardi, Ken Purcell.
- SPCA - Owen Kehler, Chris Martines, Luis Reyes, Derick Boltz.
- Big Brothers/ Big Sisters - Leanna Walker, Alex Rau, Tawnya Spicer, Patrick Weeber.
- Women's shelter - Sarah Wagaman, Anna Cornog, Sandy Levenduski, Brandon Berger.
- CCFA - Matt Rebinski, Brad Minich, James Emery, Daphne Hiles.