Chance Marsteller, Bekah Slattery named LHU’s 2018-19 Senior Student-Athletes of the Year
LOCK HAVEN, Pa. – With the 2018-19 athletics season in the books, the Lock Haven University Department of Athletics has named its senior student-athletes of the year.
Bekah Slattery (softball) was named the 2019 Charlotte E. Smith Award winner. The award is presented to LHU’s top senior female student-athlete. The award goes to a senior female student-athlete in recognition of her accomplishments in women’s athletics, outstanding leadership and academic achievement.
Chance Marsteller (wrestling) was named the 2019 Bald Eagle Award winner. This award goes to a senior male student-athlete who has demonstrated overall excellence in athletics, academics and service and whose efforts during his time at The Haven have made us all proud to have him represent not only his individual team, but also the overall athletics program.
Both Marsteller and Slattery enjoyed tremendous careers during their time at The Haven, and their senior season were no exception. Slattery led the softball team to the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Championships, and Marsteller helped The Haven to an Eastern Wrestling League (EWL) title. The two racked up individual honor after individual honor.
The LHU coaches nominate and vote for the Charlotte E. Smith and Bald Eagle awards each year.
Charlotte E. Smith Award (top female senior student-athlete): Bekah Slattery (softball)
– 3X PSAC Central Pitcher of the Year.
– 4X All-PSAC Central Team.
– 3X All-Atlantic Region.
– 2019 All-American: Slattery earned a spot on the 2019 National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Division II Second Team (at-large pitcher) and she grabbed a spot on the 2019 D2CCA DII Third Team at pitcher.
– 2019 Atlantic Region Pitcher of the Year.
– Led LHU on a remarkable 2019 postseason run.
– Led LHU to 2019 PSAC Championship.
– 2019 Google Cloud Academic All-District Team (honors academic success).
– She was one of two pitchers named to the 2019 National Fastpitch Coaches’ Association (NFCA) Atlantic Region First Team, she was named the D2CCA Atlantic Region Pitcher of the Year and she earned First Team D2CCA Atlantic Region honors.
– Slattery was named the 2019 PSAC Central Pitcher of the Year and earned 2019 First Team honors from the conference as well.
– Her 316 strikeouts in 2019 were the third-most of any NCAA Division II pitcher on season after she led DII most of the season in the category. Slattery’s 1.49 ERA was 18th best in DII.
– Slattery’s 856 career strikeouts sit behind only Hall of Famer Kristin Erb at LHU, and she’s No. 6 all-time in PSAC history.
Bald Eagle Award Winner (top male senior student-athlete): Chance Marsteller (wrestling)
– 2X NCAA Division I All-American.
– Finished third at 2019 NCAA Tournament (fourth in 2018).
– 2018-19 Eastern Wrestling League Athlete of the Year.
– 2018-19 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Division I Wrestler of the Year.
– Led Lock Haven to back-to-back top-20 finishes at the NCAA Championships.
– After a loss in the NCAA quarterfinals, Marsteller went on a tear and won four straight bouts – knocking off the No. 1, 3 and 4 seed – on the way to third-place. In the third-place bout, he knocked off No. 4 seed Evan Wick, avenging a pair of losses to the Wisconsin Badger. The third-place finish marked Marsteller’s second straight trip to the podium and he became Lock Haven’s first two-time All-American since 2002 and ’03. Marsteller became the Bald Eagles 10th wrestler to earn multiple All-American honors.
– Marsteller’s impressive march back through the consolation bracket delighted the packed PPG Arena and brought a standing ovation from 18,000-plus fans when his hand was raised following his bronze medal victory.
– Marsteller, a 2019 Southern Scuffle finalist, finished the season at 28-3 overall and he recorded 72 wins in two seasons for the Bald Eagles.
– Last season, Marsteller won a school-record 44-matches.
– 2X PSAC Top-10 Selection (honors academic success).