Around the town
and happy belated birthday to Sharon Croak, of Farrandsville
Quote of the day
“I don’t believe that if you do good, good things will happen. Everything is completely accidental and random. Sometimes bad things happen to very good people and sometimes good things happen to bad people. But at least if you try to do good things, then you’re spending your time doing something worthwhile.”
— Helen Mirren
Word of the day
Sposh — soft slushy mud or snow
SV church plans hoagie sale
The Sugar Valley Church of the Brethren will hold a homemade hoagie sale. The hoagies are $5 each, and orders are being taken through Jan. 27, with a delivery and pickup date of Saturday, Feb. 2. The sandwiches come on a fresh 8-inch roll and will be “All-American” style. To place an order, call Kim at 570-725-3767.
Model Railroad open house
The Clinton County Model Railroad Club, 15 Logan Ave., Lock Haven, will be holding open houses on Jan. 12, 26 and Feb. 9 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free and hot and cold foods and soft drinks are available on Saturdays and Sundays. For more information visit www.ccmrr.org.
Some pretty cool facts about snow
– Syracuse, N.Y. tried to make snow illegal in 1992.
– It’s a myth that no two snowflakes are alike.
– The largest snowflake may have been 15 inches wide and observed in January 1887.
– Each winter in the United State at least 1 septillion ice crystals fall from the sky.
– Exactly 5834 people took part in the largest snowball fight in Seattle on January 12, 2013.
Pick 2: 6-7
Pick 3: 7-5-5
Pick 4: 2-7-8-0
Pick 5: 3-2-4-7-3
$43,000 estimated jackpot
Pick 2: 8-5
Pick 3: 1-1-1
Pick 4: 1-0-1-1
Pick 5: 0-2-8-0-3
Powerball estimated jackpot: $144 million
Mega Millions estimated jackpot: $82 million