Centre County hires Stolinas to fill vital role
BELLEFONTE — Centre County has a new director of Planning and Community Development.
At Tuesday’s commissioner’s meeting, Ray Stolinas was introduced to fill that role.
County administrator Margaret Gray introduced Stolinas and had nothing but high praise for him.
“Ray brings with him to Centre County over 28 years of experience of county and municipal planning, having served most recently in Ferguson Township,” Gray said.
Stolinas has an impressive resume.
Prior to joining Ferguson Township, Stolinas worked for the Bradford County Department of Community Planning from 1993 through 2015.
“He provided leadership, professional and technical advice on countywide planning and community development issues related to land use, transportation, natural resources, municipal planning initiatives and commercial and industrial development,” Gray noted.
Stolinas is a certified planner and a member of the American Institute of Certified Planners, the American Planning Association and is a board member of the Centre County Housing and Land Trust. Stolinas is a graduate of Penn State.
“We’re very happy to have him on board,” Gray said.
Stolinas’ first day on job was Monday, so he’s still learning his way around the Willowbank Building.
“I appreciate the opportunity to work with the great staff in the planning office,” Stolinas said. “It’s going to be good to venture into countywide planning again.”
Commissioner Michael Pipe asked Stolinas what he was most excited about.
“I think the diverse mixture of things to pay attention to. There are regional planning opportunities, too. Those are the things that come to mind on day two,” Stolinas said.
In other business, the commissioners:
– Made their 14th Proclamation of 2019, announcing that May is Foster Care Awareness Month. Julia Sprinkle, Director of Children and Youth Services in Centre County was on hand to accept the proclamation.
– Approved change order No. 9 with general construction contractor J.C. Orr and Son for the Equipment Storage Building Project at the Centre County Public Training Safety Center. The change order provides an increase of $2,580.60 for the installation of 10 lineal feet of of handrail at the west entrry door, increasing the contract total from $764,094,14 to $766,674.74.
– Approved change order No. 10 with general construction contractor J,C. Orr and Son for the Equipment Building Storage Building Project at the Centre County Public Safety Training Center. This change order provides an increase of $879.75 for additional sidewalk outside of door 100D, increasing the contract total from
– Appointed Gray to serve as a representative on the solar power purchase agreement working group.
– Approved a proposal from Johnson Controls for the installation of a duct smoke detector to the newly installed make up air handler, located in the Willowbank Building. Total cost is $1,398.
– Reminded residents that the county offices will be closed on Monday, May 27 in observance of Memorial Day.
– Announced that there would be a normal meeting next Tuesday, May 21, which is Election Day. The meeting will take place at 10 a.m. at the Willowbank Building.