Neff bound over for trial in stabbing death

Tim Neff

LOCK HAVEN — A Mill Hall man was bound over for trial for the murder of his sister-in-law at a preliminary hearing on Tuesday afternoon at the Clinton County Courthouse.

Timothy Alva Neff, 56, showed no emotion as District Judge Frank P. Mills announced that the charge of first-degree murder of Agnes Rae Neff, 62, would stand.

Mills decision came after nearly two hours of testimony from William Neff, 69, husband of the deceased. Timothy’s hands and feet were shackled at the hearing.

In addition to the charge of criminal homicide and first-degree murder, Timothy Neff faces charges of aggravated assault, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and simple assault.

William spent much of the afternoon on the stand recounting what happened in the early evening hours of May 10. He painted a picture for the prosecution, describing the events that led up to the stabbing that night at 2194 Long Run Road in Mill Hall.

Clinton County District Attorney Dave Strouse asked, in great detail, William Neff to describe the events that led to the stabbing. Neff said it began as a verbal confrontation between his wife and brother. Earlier that day, Agnes left a note in the kitchen for Timothy, telling him that he had to pay $700 in rent. According to William, Timothy had crossed out $700 and wrote $400. The two were arguing about the rent money when things became physical. He said that he was sitting on the couch when he heard yelling. He then saw Timothy begin to choke Agnes and strike her in the face several times with a closed fist. He tried to intervene, separating the two. Timothy then followed Agnes into the living room and attacked her again. William again intervened and the three wound up on the living room floor.

William then saw Timothy lunge toward Agnes with a knife, stabbing her in the back before fleeing the scene.

“He ran out through the kitchen, the cowardly bastard,” William said, raising his voice.

Then, he stared directly at his brother and yelled, “I can tell you right now I want you dead!”

Following the outburst, William began crying on the stand and Judge Mills took a short recess.

After the recess, William continued to talk about what happened following the stabbing. He said that he pulled the knife out of Agnes’ back and called 911.

Also testifying at the preliminary hearing were Russell Raymond of the Pennsylvania State Police’s Forensic Unit and Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Investigator Kim Patterson. Patterson confirmed that the cause of death was criminal homicide, resulting from a stab wound to Agnes’ right-mid back.

Patterson also talked about the three-day man hunt for Timothy before he was apprehended by Pennsylvania State Police at his daughter’s home in Lock Haven.

Timothy did not take the stand at Tuesday’s preliminary hearing. A trial date has not been scheduled.