Get your taxes done for free

LOCK HAVEN — AARP Foundation is providing in-person tax assistance and preparation through its Tax-Aide program — and it’s completely free.

Help is available starting Monday, Feb. 10, and ending Monday, April 13, at The STEP Clinton County Community Center located at 124 E. Walnut St., Lock Haven. Appointments are required.

Starting Monday, Jan. 27, you may call 570-858-5800 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to schedule an appointment. Please do not call earlier as scheduling will not be available. Be sure to mention circumstances such as a death, Power of Attorney, business income or itemized deductions when making the appointment. If married filing jointly, both husband and wife must be present to have their return prepared.

Volunteers are trained and IRS-certified every year to ensure they understand the latest changes to the U.S. Tax Code. Returns involving rentals, farm and royalty income are out-of-scope.

Limited help is available for unincorporated small business income (no inventories, employee expenses, or losses). AARP TaxAide provides free tax preparation help to people with low to moderate incomes–giving preference to people over age 50. The program is offered in conjunction with the IRS, and AARP membership is not required.

Bring the following items to your appointment:

— Photo identification (example: driver’s license)

— SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security

— Birth dates, photo ID and Social Security numbers for all taxpayers and all taxpayer’s dependents. (You can use either your Social Security Card or Benefit Statement Form SSA-1099)

— RRB-1099-R US Railroad Retirement Board forms

— Checking account routing and account numbers for direct deposit

— Form 1095A if you purchased health insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange)

— All wage and earning statements (for example, Form W-2 or Form W-2G)

— All 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of assets sold

— All pension and retirement statements (Form 1099-R)

— 1099-MISC, 1099-K, or other 1099 forms.

— A copy of last year’s federal and state returns

— Property tax receipts or signed rental certificate for the Pennsylvania Property Tax/Rent Rebate program

Any other documents showing income not reported on above documents (for example, 1099 MISC)