×

Bellefonte residents evacuated after gas leak

BELLEFONTE — Things were tense in Bellefonte on Friday afternoon.

Some residents in downtown Bellefonte were briefly evacuated on Friday afternoon following a major gas leak.

The gas leak took place at the intersection of West Manchester Lane and South Spring Street. Residents in the area received a phone and text message from Centre County Emergency Management. The message, which was sent shortly after noon, urged residents within one-mile radius to evacuate.

A little after 1 p.m., a follow-up notice was sent stating that Columbia Gas had given the OK for residents to return to their homes and the evacuation order was canceled.

During the evacuation, the Bellefonte Police Department said downtown, South Spring Street, Pine Street and Stoney Batter area should be avoided.

“The gas leak in Bellefonte Borough has been resolved and the downtown area will be re-opening shortly,” Bellefonte police wrote on their Facebook page around 1:15 p.m. “The tremendous response of Borough and County and State agencies is very much appreciated. We are sending our most heartfelt thanks to our residents and visitors and business owners for their amazing assistance and cooperation during this event.”

Bellefonte Police and Spring Township Police blocked off South Spring Street, South Allegheny Street at the intersection with Bishop Street and Bishop Street between Allegheny and Spring streets while the leak was repaired.

The cause of the gas leak was not immediately known.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today