New tabernacle on the way at Lamar Lighthouse Camp
LAMAR — Since 1945 Camp Lamar — currently known today as Lamar Lighthouse Camp — has served three counties: Centre, Clinton and Lycoming.
The property, located in Lamar was originally bought by the Free Methodist Church so the Tyrone District of the Oil City Conference would have a permanent Campground. In 1946 the first camp meeting was held under a tent.
Later that year a building was purchased from Star Island/Indian Park, Montoursville and moved to the current location. This building was taken down board by board and re-assembled as the Tabernacle on the camp property making it the first permanent campground building.
Over the years Lamar Lighthouse Camp has welcomed people from all walks of life regardless of status, ethnicity or belief. The camp provides programs for children, youth and adults at no charge. The most popular of the programs are the weekly music concerts which have attracted children, youth and adults from surrounding counties averaging 200 plus weekly.
In 2018 through an inspection of the tabernacle, structural problems were identified which created a safety risk preventing the camp from using it for the weekly community music concerts and other camp ministries. The tabernacle had to be demolished with hopes to rebuild as soon as possible. Over the past two years we have held fundraisers and sought financial support from the communities we serve.
To date through the generosity of many they have raised $80,000. The building team researched multiple options for replacement and has secured plans for a steel building to be erected in the spring of 2021. The concrete work for the pillars, posts, and floor started on Sept. 22. Fundraising continues so they can reach their goal of $125,000.
The organization now looks to the generosity of the communities they serve. Your financial gift could be a general donation to the building fund or to purchase part of the building such as a window or a door. Donors will be recognized for their generous contribution.
For more information contact Bill Hargenrader at 814-883-3472 or Lynette Trick at 570-337-0203.
Donations can be made payable to: Lamar Lighthouse Camp, % Bruce Trick, Treasurer, 121 West Hills Drive, Williamsport, PA 17701
It is our hope that the tabernacle will be ready for the first concert, June 6, 2021, with the GloryWay Quartet.