Local roundup: Redmon helps CM golf capture another PHAC championship
Central Mountain’s Gunner Redmon led the Wildcats in a nine-hole competiton against Montoursville by shooting a 39. Jason Floruss shot a 42 and Gardy Frravel and Peyton Nawlen both shot 45s.
Montoursville’s Cameron Francis (38) was the only golfer who beat Redmon’s score.
The win caps an undefeated season for Central Mountain, which won the PHAC championship for a fifth straight year.
• Jersey Shore won all five of its singles and doubles matches in straight sets as it blanked Mifflinburg, 5-0. Sam Machmer, Riley Frazier and Breanna Porter won singles matches.
Carolina Carpenetti needed three sets, but she posted a victory at No. 1 singles to help Central Mountain top Selinsgrove, 5-0.
• In girls volleyball, Penns Valley beat Central, 3-0 (25-20, 28-26, 25-14). Cammie Upcraft had 11 kills and Ella Hadley had seven. Jadyn Butler led the team with 12 digs. Hailey Courson had an impressive 20 assists.
• In girls soccer, Penns Valley blanked Philipsburg-Osceola, 3-0. Nikki Denger, Katie Martell and Maria Lovallo all scored as Penns Valley held PO to just two shots on goal.
“It took us a good while to get in the game tonight and credit where it’s due, this was in large part because of a hard-working, organized and well-coached Philipsburg team,” Penns Valley coach Andrew Beverly said. “While we’d have loved to be at our best from the start and carry it through the entire game, I was still very proud of the response we got from the girls in the second half.
“Our hope is to carry the momentum from that second half performance into a tough game at Central on Wednesday.”
Bald Eagle Area defeated Central, 2-1, as Falen McHenry scored a goal in each half. Angelina Grieb had nine saves.
“Falen McHenry was a workhorse tonight. The back four were really good too,” BEA coach Jared Moore said. “They played tough defense on some really talented Central forwards. Autumn Tobias really held them together and showed some excellent leadership. Great work from Angie Grieb tonight earning her first win between the sticks. She made some really nice saves to keep us in the game.”
HIGH SCHOOL GOLF
(at Williamsport C.C.)
Montoursville: Peyton Mussina 43; Cameron Francis 38; Gabe Hornberger 47, Lauren Marks 47, Aiden Evaus 49, Bryn Vargo 65.
Central Mountain: Jason Floruss 42, Brayden Confair 50, Griffin Walizer 46, Peyton Newlen 45, Gardy Fravel 45, Gunner Redmon 39.
Jersey Shore 5 Mifflinburg 0
1. Sam Machmer, J, def. Rockell Keister 6-1, 6-3; 2. Riley Frazier, J, def. Kyie Vasbinder 6-0, 6-2; 3. Breanna Porter, J, def. Rebecca Reimer 6-1, 6-0.
1. Celia Shemory/Hayley Shadle, J, def. Kooper Haines/Kisa Elliott 6-4, 6-2; 2. Rahel Hartman/Anna Lanks, J, def. Kassidy Reedy/Alexis Scopellit 6-0, 6-2.
Central Mtn. 5, Selinsgrove 0
1. Carolina Carpenetti (CM) def. Fionna Finnerty, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3; 2 Olivia Anastos (CM) def. Avery DeFazio, 6-2, 6-3; 3. Kati Kwiatek (CM) def. McKenna Parker, 6-2, 6-0.
1. Ella Talbot/Caitlyn Dale (CM) def. Emeline Snook/Natalie Imahoof, 7-6, 6-4; 2. Claire Long/Ellie Gundy (CM) def. Sophie Markle/Olivia Miller, 6-1, 6-1.
Records: Central Mountain (10-1). Next match: Mifflinburg at Central Mountain, Wednesday.
Penns Valley 3, Philipsburg-Osceola 0
PV–Nikki Dengar (Scotty Dinges), 42:38. PV–Katie Martell (Katie Romig), 44:38. PV–Maria Lovallo (Leah Beben), 51:43.
Shots: PV 24, PO 2. Corners: PV 4, PO 0. Saves: PV 1 (Kylie Auman), PO 11 (Paige Rishell).
Records: Penns Valley (4-0, 3-0 Mountain League). Next game: Penns Valley at Central, Wednesday.
Bald Eagle Area 2, Central 1
C–A. Bartley, 15:25. BEA–Falen McHenry (Alex Hacker), 20:00. BEA–McHenry (Grace Wagner), 53:57.
Shots: BEA 9, C 10. Corners: BEA 2, C 5. Saves: BEA 9 (Angelina Grieb), C 7 (K. Longenecker).
Records: BEA (1-2, 1-2 Mountain League). Next game: BEA at Tyrone, Wednesday.