BEA soars past Huntingdon

HUNTINGDON – For the second straight week, the scoreboard operator had a busy Friday night punching in Bald Eagle Area touchdowns.

Just a week after posting 50 in a win over North Penns-Mansfield, the Eagles offense got right back to work en route to a, 42-0, win over Huntingdon.

BEA’s high-powered offense wasted no time in Friday’s Mt. League matchup on the road. It took the Eagles just four plays shred through the Bearcat defense. Carson Nagle found Gavin Eckley for a 46-yard touchdown to get things going.

Shortly after Eckley hauled in the receiving touchdown, BEA got the ball right back by ways of an onside kick. Despite the special teams’ success, the Eagles were unable to capitalize on the recovery as they turned it back over to Huntingdon.

The Bearcats finally got the ball with 9:40 left in the first quarter but were unable to do anything as BEA forced the three-and-out to get the ball back. That was when Nagle tossed his second score of the quarter.

The freshman quarterback found wideout Owen Irwin in the back of the end zone on 3rd and 14 to put the Eagles ahead, 14-0, just seven minutes in.

Huntingdon’s offense gave the ball right back to the hot Eagles offense and they took full advantage of it after forcing their second straight three and out.

On the drive’s first play, Nagle found Irvin streaking past the Bearcat secondary and hit him in stride for the 62-yard touchdown.

Huntingdon had no answer for the Eagles’ passing attack as Nagle had over 240 yards through the air alone in the opening half. Outside of passing, the ground game was equally effective. BEA ran for 114 yards in the first half. Senior tailback Garrett Burns led the group with 82 yards.

BEA went on to score two more times to end the half. Chase Thompson found the end zone from 10-yards out and Chandler Burns later punched in a 1-yard score to put the Eagles ahead 35-0.

With a commanding lead in hand for BEA, the Eagles were able to play deep into their roster Friday night.

The Bearcats’ offensive struggled on their opening possession of the second half. BEA’s defense stood tall once again and forced Huntingdon to punt it away.

With the help of the accelerated clock, the Eagles were able to take a, 35-0, lead into the final quarter of action. Shortly after the fourth started BEA found the end zone again.

Nagle found Kahale Burns by ways of a swing pass to put the Eagles ahead, 42-0, after Burns drilled the extra point. The score marked the game’s final of the night as BEA held on for the shutout victory

Friday’s victory moved BEA to a record of 3-1.

BEA 21 14 0 7– 42

HUNTINGDON 0 0 0 0– 0


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *


Starting at $3.69/week.

Subscribe Today