Avis antique store destroyed by fire


After the heavy smoke cleared and firefighters took their equipment back to the fire station, a huge pile of items, including antiques and fallen bricks, surrounded the Avis building at 8 W. Central Ave., which was destroyed by fire Thursday. Yellow safety tape surrounds the area where the two-story brick building stood. John Powell, owner of the antique store, said he was lacquering objects in the first floor of the building when a chemical sparked the blaze, which quickly spread to the second floor and roof. Powell suffered minor burns and two occupants of apartments on the second floor were not injured. Attempts to reach Avis fire officials for more information about the fire were unsuccessful. Avis Borough maintenance workers are shown at the site Friday morning.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *


Starting at $3.69/week.

Subscribe Today