×

Council gives update on manager search

LOCK HAVEN — The City of Lock Haven has so far received 39 applications in its search for a new city manager.

That was part of an update made by Mayor Joel Long and city staff during its regular meeting on Monday night.

Long said the applications are being reviewed by the hiring committee — consisting of himself and council members Tami Brannan and Micah Clausen with Rick Conklin as an alternate — and scored. He said the goal is for the committee to meet and narrow down the number of potential hires to about 10 or 11.

“The hiring committee would interview (them) and then start sorting it out and going through the process we discussed many times,” he said.

Part of the process Long referenced involves interviews with the committee and city staff before eventually a recommendation is brought to council as a whole.

City Planner/Interim Manager Abbey Roberts noted the application window is closing on May 23.

Long said following this date, the committee will meet and debate amongst themselves who best to move forward in the process.

“There may be someone somebody really likes and we’ll have that kind of debate,” he said.

Council member Heather Alexander asked how many applicants were from within the city.

Roberts said, per the Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) who assists in the hiring, that information is redacted for the first phase of the hiring process.

“We want the first selection to be the volume. We aren’t treating this with any prejudice,” he said. “It’s about work history, cover letters and what have you. We’ll find out when we have interviews and we ask where they’re from and other questions. As far as the first part, it’s blocked out.”

In other business, council:

— Approved the use of Triangle Park by the Clinton County Community Assembly for a Pop-Up Food Pantry each Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. until the end of the summer. Director of Community Life Kasey Dumm said she’d work with the group in the event of other organizations requesting use of the park at the same time.

— Approved the use of Jack Bailey Playground by the Keystone Central School District from June 22 to July 31 as part of its Summer Park Program.

— Approved, on first reading, the closure of East Main Street from Jay to Vesper from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for Commonwealth University-Lock Haven’s summer boxing program.

— Approved an ordinance, on second reading, for the 2026 PennVEST borrowing.

— Reviewed a timeline for the Zoning Ordinance and SALDO adoption timeline. According to a memo from Director of Permits and Licensing Cyndi Walker, the proposals will be reviewed by the city Planning Commission on June 2; a public hearing will be held on July 20 and the target date for final adoption by council will be Aug. 3.

Starting at $3.69/week.

Subscribe Today