Breaking News
Local news

Council continues its work in deterring tractor trailer traffic

By LAURA JAMESON 5 min read

LOCK HAVEN -- Lock Haven City Council is looking into a possible ordinance which might better deter tractor trailers from entering the residential hill section.

On Monday night, council directed staff to bring information from a PennDOT study to city solicitor, Justin Houser, regarding what steps could be taken to better prohibit these large vehicles out of this residential neighborhood. Many of the vehicles are on their way to one of First Quality's entrances located just outside of the city.

In the past, the city worked with First Quality to construct a specific roadway near the railroad tracks which intersect with Walnut Street to try and deter truck traffic.

Drivers for First Quality are directed off Paul Mack Boulevard and onto Walnut Street to access the roadway.

However, not all vehicles are directed that route and some still find themselves further in the city limits.

In October 2025, council approved a Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP) study conducted in the area by PennDOT to determine if it can enforce trailer lengths and other factors to keep larger trucks out of the neighborhood.

City Planner/Interim Manager Abbey Roberts said staff, after reviewing the study, recommended council consider an ordinance which would limit trucks to 25 feet in length or under.

"The staff recommendation to council is to discuss this further but move forward with the city solicitor to create an ordinance to implement these restrictions as council wishes. We need the ordinance in order to enforce the restrictions," Roberts explained.

She told council the ordinance could enforce either length or weight, but said staff recommended length to be more cost effective.

"We chose length because we'd have to get scales and everything and that would be more costly to restrict by weight," she said.

Mayor Joel Long noted council would have at least three meetings to discuss the potential ordinance before anything would be put to a vote. On Monday, they were simply voting to allow the solicitor to consider what the best legal course was in drafting an ordinance.

Council member Micah Clausen raised questions regarding the proposed length restrictions. He noted vehicles like garbage trucks are typically over 30 feet long.

Roberts said, after talking to Public Works Supervisor Jared Gist, the city could limit the length to trucks with trailers.

"That would accommodate the oil trucks, the garbage trucks and moving trucks," she said.

Council member Jeff Brinker said he wasn't certain if he'd be for the length restrictions, noting residents who may be pulling a boat or a trailer with ATVs to their home would fall out of compliance with the possible ordinance.

He suggested, instead, the length restriction be 36 feet, telling his fellow council members that would leave only tractor trailers out of compliance.

Clausen asked if a weight restriction be considered, but it was solely based on the maximum amount of weight a truck could carry based on the Department of Transportation.

"Could we write the ordinance so we wouldn't need scales. It would be depending on the registered weight of the vehicle? The real problem is the 18 wheelers going to First Quality," he said.

Council member Heather Alexander pointed out nothing has stopped them so far.

"There's signs everywhere. They don't pay attention to the signs and then get stuck," she said.

Long noted that was why the potential ordinance was suggested.

"Without an ordinance there's no teeth to it. We can't enforce it. People don't get a fine, they just keep doing it," he said.

Clausen, again, suggested the weight restriction be 15 tons, or 30,000 pounds.

"Somebody's motor home could go through our garbage trucks, but 18 wheelers can't. That puts the teeth for it," he said.

Roberts said she would note the suggestion regarding weight restrictions and the proposed length restriction for the solicitor to review.

She pointed out the length restriction is particularly due to turning radius in some intersections.

"Yes, unfortunately even if you are just hauling your pick up truck with a longer trailer, you still probably won't be able to make that turn. Are there ways that a local resident would know where to go and how to turn safely? Yes. I think everything that would be considered throughout this process," she said.

Council member Barbara Masorti said the questions surrounding the ordinance were more related to what happens if police are called to an accident or incident involving a vehicle.

"If you're a person driving your camper, and you've driven it on South Highland Street, you know how to get around the block to get to your home... the police probably aren't coming," she said. "I think the question is more about if the police come and a First Quality truck is stranded in the middle of South Highland -- which happens... then the police can't do anything but say 'thank you very much, be on your way.'"

She noted the ordinance would give the police the ability to fine a driver, or the company it's hauling for, that could possibly deter tractor trailer traffic.

Long agreed.

"It really isn't local traffic. It's (a tractor trailer) going through that neighborhood to get to its destination and it's not necessary because there are roads to get them there," he said.

Council member Tami Brannan asked if the ordinance could specify the restrictions are related to "through traffic."

Roberts said she noted the suggestion and it would be passed to the solicitor for review.

"We'll discuss these with the solicitor and see what's the best thing with the most teeth," she said.

Council unanimously approved sending the comments and requests to the solicitor to draft an ordinance to better deter tractor trailers from residential neighborhoods.

Starting at /week.