Community

Senior project benefits kids

PHOTO PROVIDED As partial fulfillment of her high school senior project, Jadyn Genua organized the 2018 Bellefonte Elks Children’s Christmas With Santa program. Nearly 70 children gathered for this outstanding Lodge event. Assisting Jadyn at the event were, back row, Brenda Kephart, Shay ...

Bellefonte Elks hosts Children’s Christmas

PHOTO PROVIDED Every year, the Bellefonte Elks Lodge #1094 sponsors a Children’s Christmas get-together with Santa. Nearly 70 children attended this year’s event. Shown here is Chase Campbell, as he reports his wish list to Santa, aka PDDGER Dick Mulfinger.

SV Historical Society to hold membership meeting

LOGANTON — On Jan. 13 at 2 p.m. the Sugar Valley Historical Society will hold their general membership meeting. Prior to the meeting, Mr. Jimmy Brown will give a presentation on the Civil War and the history of Hampton’s Battery F. Jimmy is from Spring Mills in Centre County and has been ...

LOCAL CLUBS TO MEET

LOCK HAVEN — The following clubs will meet in the month of January. LH KIWANIS The Lock Haven Kiwanis club will host the following guest speakers. - Jackie Condor of the Clinton County Housing Coalition/Life Center on Jan. 10 with invocation by Sharon Reeder. - Maria Garlick, director ...

Old photo album

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Keeping the city green Citizens Hose member Howard Wooding waters flowers and shrubs at Triangle Park on June 18, 1991.

Dear Annie: A gift wasted?

Dear Annie: Without trying to sound arrogant, I am smarter than the average bear. Not quite a genius but certainly up there. I won all kinds of academic awards in school and hold three degrees. But my problem is this: I am now 48, the mother of two children with special needs. I have spent ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY to John Jennings Quote of the Day “You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated.” — Maya Angelou Word of the Day Tsiganology —study of gypsies Calling all bird watchers Lycoming Audubon field trip to northern Lycoming County looking ...

Farmland preservation applications deadline March 31

LOCK HAVEN — Clinton County Agriculture Preservation Board wants to remind area farmland owners of 35 acres or more, the current round of applications to the Farmland Preservation Program will be accepted until March 31, 2019. The next round of applications will be eligible for April 1, ...

DEP urges more testing for radon

LOCK HAVEN – The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) encourages Pennsylvanians to start off the new year by conducting a simple test of their homes for radon, a naturally occurring radioactive gas that is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Winter is a good time to test in the ...

EMERGENCY SERVICES

LOCK HAVEN — The following calls were made to the Clinton County Communications Center. SATURDAY r At 8:58 a.m. fire stations out of Nittany Valley (Lamar) and Dunnstown, Goodwill Hose in Flemington, state police at Lamar, and DESDO responded to a motor vehicle accident with entrapment ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday (belated) to Caitlyn Shade who turned 14 on Jan. 7 Eat at Wendy’s, help the junior fair board Have dinner at Wendy’s in Lock Haven on Monday, Jan. 14, from 5 to 8 p.m. and Wendy’s will donate 10 percent of all the sals to the Clinton County Jr. Fair ...

Tickets available for ‘Clint’s Grocery Dash’

MILL HALL — Ever dream of running through a grocery store for two minutes and filling up your grocery cart with whatever you want... and then getting to keep it all? Well, you could have that opportunity. The Clinton County Fair is is sponsoring a grocery shopping spree called ...

Ross Library receives memorials, gifts, donations

LOCK HAVEN — Ross Library has benefited from the following memorials, honors and donations received during December. IN MEMORY OF: Donald Aikey Sr. from Ron and Abby Pete; Manuel Andrus from the family; the Arndt and Hungiville families from Kathy Arndt; Gretchen Ann Wagner Carey from Ron ...

Old photo album

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Nature’s wheel cover An icy custom wheel cover courtesy of Mother Nature back on March 3, 1992.

103rd PA Farm Show begins, celebrates state’s agriculture

From staff reports HARRISBURG — Governor Tom Wolf kicked off the 103rd Pennsylvania Farm Show, celebrating our state’s agriculture industry through the 2019 theme, “Inspiring Pennsylvania’s Story,” on Saturday. The theme, which will be represented throughout the duration of the ...

Local Briefs

Bellefonte Sporting Collectors Meet Feb. 2 BELLEFONTE — The Bellefonte Sporting Collectors Show, formerly Philipsburg and Milesburg License collectors Show, will be held from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Feb. 2, at Lambert Hall, 303 Forge Road. Featured will be hunting and fishing ...

Calendar of Events

JAN. 7 - Scrabble Club, 7 to 9 p.m., Avenue 209 Coffee House, 209 Bellefonte Ave., Lock Haven. All are welcome.

Dear Annie: When I don’t respond to texts right away

Dear Annie: Recently, a friend confronted me about something that I didn’t think was a big deal: Sometimes I forget to respond to texts for a while, and then I reply and say that I just saw the message. Technically, most of the time, it’s a lie; I did see the message, and I just got ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY ... and happy birthday to to Sarah Nestor and Joe Garbrick Quote of the day “The No. 1 reason people fail in life is because they listen to their friends, family, and neighbors.” — Napoleon Hill Word of the day Rillet — small brook or stream Yellowstone in the ...

To Your Good Health: Seasonal affective disorder may respond to light therapy

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: Would you write about seasonal affective disorder to help so many others who may be suffering with this, but don’t even know it? I was diagnosed with clinical depression following a move from Southern California to Central Wisconsin. I took medication ...