Community

Local briefs

‘Power of Hope’ topic at support group LOCK HAVEN — “The Power of Hope,” will be the topic at the next meeting of the Cancer Support Group on Thursday, Oct. 11, at 7 p.m. in Conference Room B of Susque-View. Being diagnosed with cancer can leave one with a feeling of ...

Sixth graders participate in Conservation Field Days

MACKEYVILLE — The 36th annual Sixth Grade Conservation Field Days were held on Sept. 26 and 27, at the Clinton County Fairgrounds. All sixth grade students from Central Mountain Middle School, Renovo Elementary, Lock Haven Catholic School and Sugar Valley Rural Charter School attended. ...

Veterans honored by GOP

MILL HALL - More than 275 people attended a “Shall Not Be Infringed” rally held at the Clinton County Fairgrounds on Sept. 15. The rally was sponsored by the Clinton County Republican Party and organized by Stephanie Borowicz, candidate for Pennsylvania’s 76th Legislative District, in ...

Democrats gather

PHOTO PROVIDED 76th House District Democratic candidate Michael Hanna Jr. poses with Eleanor Kodish at the recent Piper Fly-In breakfast at the William T. Piper Memorial Airport.

Lt. Gov. Candidate John Fetterman greets Clinton County residents

LOCK HAVEN - Democratic nominee for Pennsylvania Lieutenant governor, John Fetterman, made a stop in Clinton County on Sept. 26 to meet with local voters. More than 50 residents of Clinton and neighboring Lycoming County turned out for the event at the Democratic campaign headquarters on ...

Old & New: History for you

Who can believe it!! It’s time for our huge FUNdraiser the Country Dance in the 1900 Barn on Friday! Tickets are $20 ($25 at the door) and include beer, wine, cider, soups and breads, plus the fun of dancing. Buy them at the Heisey, Downtown Lock Haven, Inc. on Main Street or on our website ...

Old photo album UPDATE

PHOTO PROVIDED Western square dancing Western square dancing was popular in our region of Pennsylvania 50 to 60 years ago. Pictured above are, from left, Betty and Bill Ake, Margo and Tony Piper, Fee and Lloyd Phillips, Peg and Lee Deitrich and John and Rose Minnie Akeley of Lock Haven. ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I am currently in my second (and final!) marriage. I was previously married for 15 years. My current wife and former wife are not active friends but have met many times and get along very well. My current wife is inquisitive and tends to get information that she wants from people. ...

To Your Good Health

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: I am writing to inquire about the effects of statins on the body. My husband is a 66-year-old diabetic taking metformin and atorvastatin. A highly respected chemist friend told us that the statin drugs completely deplete the body of CoQ10, and recommended ...

Calendar of events

SATURDAY r Farmer’s Breakfast, 7 - 10 a.m., Porter Twp. Community Building in Lamar. r Susque-View 5K Run for Residents trail and road run, 9 a.m. with registration at 8 a.m., Susque-View Home, Lock Haven. Information: Susan Triponey at 570-893-5971 or striponey@susqueviewhome.com. ...

Meetings Next week

Monday — Clinton County Commissioners, 9 a.m. Lock Haven City Council, 7 p.m. Tuesday — Centre County Commissioners, 10 a.m. Bellefonte School Board, 7 p.m. Wednesday — Clinton County Prison Board, 10 a.m. Clinton County Solid Waste Authority, 6:30 p.m. Thursday ...

SENIOR CENTER MENUS

Bread available daily Monday — Cajun chicken with rice, stewed tomatoes, green beans, gelatin with peaches. Tuesday —Pizza pasta casserole, peas, cauliflower, chocolate chip cookie. Wednesday —Alphine hamburger with roll, molasses baked beans, cheesy cauliflower, vanilla pudding ...

Blood Drives

Wednesday— Holy Spirit Parish, 7 E. Walnut St., Lock Haven, 1 to 6 p.m. Friday — Flemington First Church of Christ, 714 Canal St., Mill Hall, 1 to 6 p.m.

Reunions

OCT. 8 — LHHS Class of 1950, noon at Creekside, Mill Hall. Questions: Patty at 570-726-3374. OCT. 13 — 1961 BEN Class, 11:30 luncheon, Fox’s Market House Resturant. OCT. 17 — LHHS and ICHS Class of 1959 lunchon, 12 noon, Dutch Haven Restaurant. Call Diana Condo at 570-660-5295 ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Sunday Birthday to Todd Fowler! Word of the Day Malignant — Malevolant, spiteful, evil-intentioned. Quote of the Day “Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” – George Bernard Shaw Clinton ...

Dickey teacher wins grant to purchase books

PHOTO PROVIDED MacKenzie McCain, a third grade teacher at Dickey Elementary School, was recently selected as a 2018 James Patterson Foundation Scholastic Book Club $500 grant winner. McCain wrote an essay during the 17-18 school year detailing how her classroom and Dickey Elementary would ...

Dominion helps repair Sportsman Club’s fish nursery

By KEVIN RAUCH For The Express RENOVO — Eleven employees of Dominion Energy recently spent their workday assisting members of the Western Clinton Sportsman’s Association as they tore down and rebuilt a new perimeter that encloses their fish nursery in Laurelly Fork. The Dominion ...

Howard Happenings

MONUMENT RAFFLE A Sports Raffle will be held in Monument on Oct. 13 from 2-5 p.m. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased to win prizes of cash, guns and sports-related items. The raffle will be held at the Monument festival grounds at 109 Birch Way. Come on out to support this fundraiser that ...

Old photo album

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Cub Haven Model Club Pictured are members of the Cub Haven Model Club back in what we believe is the 1950s or 1960s. We are unsure of who is in the photo as well. Anyone who has more information about this photo is encouraged to contact Laura Jameson at The Express, by ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My husband and I are alcoholics in recovery with multiple years of sobriety. We are in our 60s. When my husband was 17, he committed an act of violence that resulted in imprisonment. This act was in retaliation to someone who snitched on him for drug dealing. My husband regularly ...