Community

Sugar Valley plans ‘Good Old Days’ celebration

LOGANTON — The Sugar Valley Historical Society will hold its 21st Annual “Good Old Days” celebration at the Booneville Campground,, 349 Campground Rd., Loganton, on Saturday, May 11 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. This year, the celebration has expanded its offering of demonstrations, displays, ...

Walnut Street students remember Mrs. G

PHOTO PROVIDED Students at Walnut Street Christian School used the occasion of the school’s annual auction to remember one of their own who recently passed away after years as a teacher, principal and friend at the auction, one of the school’s largest fundraisers. The boys and girls at ...

LHU graduation ceremonies are May 10 and 11

LOCK HAVEN — Lock Haven University will hold its 142nd commencement ceremonies on Friday, May 10 and Saturday, May 11. The Friday graduate ceremony will take place at 7 p.m. in Thomas Fieldhouse and the Saturday undergraduate ceremony will take place at 10 a.m. at Hubert Jack Stadium, ...

LH Kiwanis announces May speakers

LOCK HAVEN — The Lock Haven Kiwanis Club will host the following guest speakers for the month of May. ∫ On May 2, John Lipez will be the guest speaker for Law Day on the second floor of the Elks Lodge with and invocation by Peter Lopes. ∫ On May 9, Sgt. Jared Hartsock of the ...

PA Happy travelers to meet May 9

LOCK HAVEN — The Pennsylvania Happy Travelers will meet for their regular monthly meeting on Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. in the Conference Room of the Haven Skilled Rehabilitation and Nursing Facility, 24 Cree Dr., Lock Haven. The club is still looking for suggestions for trips for ...

Calendar of events

TODAY ∫ Clinton County Carnival, 5 p.m. to closing, Flemington Fair Grounds near the Red Eye Center. Free admission. TOMORROW ∫ Yard sale, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 6-8 p.m., Howard United Methodist Church. Bake sale items will also be available. ∫ Clinton County Carnival, 5 p.m. to ...

Old photo album UPDATE: UPDATE: Girl scouts learn to weave baskets

EXPRESS ARCHIVES A group of girl scouts learn to weave baskets during a warm sunny day at Camp Manuka in the Rote/Loganton area. Camp Manuka was a day camp for girl scouts over the summer where they learned various skills and crafts. Pictured to the left of the instructor, who we believe is ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Birthday to Howard McKivison of Howard! Quote of the Day “The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.” — James Branch Cabell Indoor yard sale at Flemington church Indoor yard sale, 8 a.m. to ...

Dear Annie: Loving from afar

Dear Annie: I had my 14th birthday two weeks before I gave birth to my son. The hardest thing I have ever done was to sign the paper for him to be adopted. The entire time I was pregnant, I tried to think of any way I would be able to keep and raise my son. At 14, I completed my first semester ...

Emma’s Primitives

By CHRIS MORELLI cmorelli@lockhaven.com LOCK HAVEN — There’s a new business coming to downtown Lock Haven. Emma’s Primitives, a quaint shop that will have a little bit of everything, will hold its grand opening from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday, May 3 and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on ...

Walnut Street students present ‘Little Women’

PHOTOS PROVIDED Walnut Street Christian School recently presented the drama production, “Little Women,” with directors Jenny Howell and Rachel Schildroth. Pictured are cast members, from left, front, Kaela Howell, Amelia Smith, Quentin Eyster and Sierra Weaver, and back, Braden ...

Daffodil Days successful despite major delay

LOCK HAVEN — Clinton County’s Flowers of Hope Relay for Life team reported another successful Daffodil Days campaign this year, in spite of some unexpected challenges that had the potential to derail the event. The 2019 Daffodil Days fundraiser for the American Cancer Society was ...

Local Briefs

Nittany Valley Writers to hear speaker STATE COLLEGE — The Nittany Valley Writers Network will meet at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 14, in the Schlow Library Community Room in State College. Guest speaker and memoirist Dr. Carline M. Crevecoeur will discuss how to get the most out of ...

Dear Annie: Furry foes and floppy friends

Dear Annie: My friend Jess and I recently moved into a three-bedroom apartment together. We each have one cat. We knew it would be challenging to integrate the cats at first, but we figured that it wouldn’t be too difficult in such a spacious place. Boy were we wrong. Every night is fight ...

Calendar of Events

Wednesday, May 1 ∫ Clinton County Carnival, 5 p.m. to closing, Flemington Fair Grounds near the Red Eye Center. Free admission. Thursday, May 2 ∫ Yard sale, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 6-8 p.m., Howard United Methodist Church. Bake sale items will also be available. ∫ Clinton County ...

Around the Town

Good Day ... and Happy 17th Birthday to Gabe Muthler of Jersey Shore. Quote of the Day “Hope is a waking dream.” – Aristotle Quote of the Day 2 “Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit.” – Bern Williams Calling All Men to Arms Volunteer ...

Crowds of people turn out to earth day event in Triangle Park

LAURA JAMESON/THE EXPRESS Not even strong winds could stop flocks of residents from coming to an Earth Day celebration at Triangle Park on Saturday. This year’s event was full of music, poetry reading, good food and of course learning the importance of keeping the world safe and ...

Fifth grader helps local family

Renovo — Mrs. Terry Markle’s enrichment classes at Renovo Elementary were reading about Martin Luther King, Jr. and the impact he had on our history. Markle challenged her students to create a Day of Caring Project that would help those in need in their community or school. Students had to ...

Calendar of Events

TODAY ∫ Take Back the Night, 6 p.m., Clinton County Women’s Center,16th Street Park, Renovo. Questions: 570-748-9539. ∫ Scrabble Club, 7 to 9 p.m., Avenue 209 Coffee House, 209 Bellefonte Ave., Lock Haven. All are welcome. WEDNESDAY ∫ Clinton County Carnival, 5 p.m. to ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Birthday to Fred Park, Jr.! Word of the Day Voluble — Fluent, glib, talkative. Quote of the Day “For a gallant spirit there can never be defeat.” – Wallis Simpson Laurel Run Yard and Bake Sale Please come and support the Laurel Run United Methodist Church ...