Community

Calendar of Events

JAN. 7 - Scrabble Club, 7 to 9 p.m., Avenue 209 Coffee House, 209 Bellefonte Ave., Lock Haven. All are welcome.

Dear Annie: When I don’t respond to texts right away

Dear Annie: Recently, a friend confronted me about something that I didn’t think was a big deal: Sometimes I forget to respond to texts for a while, and then I reply and say that I just saw the message. Technically, most of the time, it’s a lie; I did see the message, and I just got ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY ... and happy birthday to to Sarah Nestor and Joe Garbrick Quote of the day “The No. 1 reason people fail in life is because they listen to their friends, family, and neighbors.” — Napoleon Hill Word of the day Rillet — small brook or stream Yellowstone in the ...

To Your Good Health: Seasonal affective disorder may respond to light therapy

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: Would you write about seasonal affective disorder to help so many others who may be suffering with this, but don’t even know it? I was diagnosed with clinical depression following a move from Southern California to Central Wisconsin. I took medication ...

Fire victims still need your help

By LANA MUTHLER lmuthler@lockhaven.com AVIS — The initial shock is over. Now the devastating loss is starting to sink in for the five people left homeless on New Year’s Eve when fire destroyed two houses on Tiadaghton Avenue in Pine Creek Township. They’re still meeting with ...

Ross Library events include paranormal lessons

LOCK HAVEN — Learn to investigate the paranormal with Clinton County’s foremost ghost-hunting team! The Lock Haven Paranormal Seekers will be appearing at the Ross Library at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 31, to teach how to scientifically investigate the paranormal. The lesson will focus on ...

MEETINGS NEXT WEEK

Monday — Lock Haven City Council, 7 p.m. Bellefonte Borough Council, 7:30 p.m. Clinton County Commissioners, 9 a.m. Tuesday — Centre County Commissioners, 10 a.m. Bellefonte Area School Board, 7 p.m. Wednesday — Clinton County Prison Board, 10:30 a.m. Clinton County ...

REUNIONS

JAN. 12 —BEN Class 1961, 1 p.m., Mill Hall Fire Hall social room, games and food — Hamburg bar-b-ques provided, bring favorite game and food dish to share. JAN. 14 — LHHS Class of 1950, second Monday of the month, noon at Creekside, Mill Hall. Questions: Patty at 570-726-3374. JAN. ...

Old photo album UPDATE

PHOTO PROVIDED 1939-40 LHHS Wrestling team Pictured are members of the 1939-40 Lock Haven High School Wrestling team. In front from right are 1943 graduate Stan Glossner, 1941 graduate and first district champion Joe Spirito, 1940 graduate Ed Dranker, 1941 graduate LaRue Temple, 1940 ...

Dear Annie:The cure for writer’s block

Dear Annie: I used to write every day — mostly poems but also essays. I really want to get back into it, but my motivation has waned. When I used to write every day, I was deeply depressed, and writing was an outlet, a stress reliever. I still want to write, but I never seem able to get ...

Thunderbird in the hand

As I’ve written before, Clinton County is a great place to find monsters. There are stories of legendary creatures all over the place; the county is clogged with them. The official county monster is the Giwoggle, a kind of wolf-bird-horse hybrid from up around Keating. The 1890s gave us the ...

Back Tracks:Lessons learned from ‘auld lang syne’

-The words “auld lang syne” from the popular song sung on New Year’s Day, can be translated as “days gone by” or “old times.” Since this column is all about old times, let’s think about the questions posed in this song: Should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY ... and Happy birthday to Nathan Pittman, 5, of Flemington ... and his cousin, Kayla Zimmerman, 18, of Salona. Word of the Day Albedo — whiteness, as of a celestial object Quote of the Day “Success in business requires training and discipline and hard work. But if ...

Happenings from the Heisey

Happy New Year to everyone and wishing everyone a great 2019. We’re looking forward to an exciting and busy year, beginning with the Feb. 10 free Second Sunday Program, from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Poorman Gallery, open to all, showcasing our collection and Clinton County History: ...

calendar of events

JAN. 7 - Scrabble Club, 7 to 9 p.m., Avenue 209 Coffee House, 209 Bellefonte Ave., Lock Haven. All are welcome.

Senior Center Menus

Bread available daily Monday — Breaded pork loin, baked beans, cheesy cauliflower, macaroni salad Tuesday — Chicken marsala, brown rice, green bean casserole, fresh orange Wednesday — Swiss steak with herbed mushroom gravy, halushkie and sweet potatoes, gelatin with ...

Farm show puts spotlight on family-friendly activities

CAMP HILL — Pennsylvania Farm Bureau (PFB) puts the spotlight on educating children about agriculture and family-friendly activities in its exhibit area at the 103rd Pennsylvania Farm Show, which runs from January 5-12 at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg. The PFB exhibit area will feature ...

Local TOPS group hosts state rally

PHOTO PROVIDED The weight loss group TOPS PA 1466 Castanea hosted 10 Pennsylvania chapters at their Annual Fall Rally at Flemington First Church of Christ on Sept. 22 with 18 members in attendance, including seven of the nine members who have achieved KOPS status. As of Sept. 30, the chapter ...

Howard Happenings

LIONS CLUB NEWS Howard Area Lions Food Bank date will be on Jan. 7 for Centre County residents who live in the Howard Lions food bank area. The Food Bank headquarters is at the former Beech Creek Elementary School and distribution is from 2-4 p.m. Lions Bingo will be held on Jan. 10. ...

Dear Annie: Friction with brother-in-law

Dear Annie: My twin sister and brother-in-law visited me for the recent holiday. I love my sister, and we have always gotten along well. As is stereotypical with twins, we grew up inseparable and have remained emotionally close, even as the physical distance between us widens. We now only see ...