Community

To Your Good Health

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: I am a 75-year-old man with an arthritic back, urinary tract problems and, worst of all, highly sensitive skin! There are few items of clothing that I can tolerate. I turn tank top shirts inside out, preventing seams from irritating my skin. This has been ...

Calendar of Events

Friday, Oct. 5 - Free screening of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 classic film “Psycho” (R), 1 p.m., Centre County Library and Historical Museum, 203 N. Allegheny St., Bellefonte, 814-355-1516, www.CentreCountyLibrary.org. - Spaghetti dinner, 4:30-7 p.m., Curtin United Methodist Church, 305 ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Birthday to Mrs. Lois Henry, 95, of Chatham Village! Word of the Day Sepulcher — A tomb, grave, or burial place. Quote of the Day “Life is half spent before we know what it is.” – George Herbert Rally for Recovery tomorrow The 4th Annual Rally for ...

TODAY IN 1983

By The Associated Press On Oct. 5, 1983, Solidarity founder Lech Walesa (lek vah-wen'-sah) was named winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. On this date: In 1829, the 21st president of the United States, Chester Alan Arthur, was born in North Fairfield, Vermont. In 1931, Clyde Pangborn and ...

Fall Ball teams raise money for Caleb Leone

PHOTO PROVIDED This is the second photograph of Woolrich and Jersey Shore Minor A and Minor B Fall Ball teams who raised money for Caleb Leone, the Jersey Shore High School football player who was injured during a pre-season football practice. The first photograph of the Little Leaguers was ...

International careers expert to visit Schlow Library

BELLEFONTE — Global awareness and developing a global mind set for any age is more important than ever today, according to international careers expert and award-winning author Stacie Berdan. Berdan will discuss those topics in her program, “Raising Children to Have a Global Mind set.” ...

LHU professor honored with Patriot Award

LOCK HAVEN – Dr. Paul Obenreder, a professor at Lock Haven University, was honored on Sept. 25 with a Patriot Award in recognition of extraordinary support of its employees and students serving in the Pennsylvania Guard and Reserve. The award is given by Pennsylvania Employer Support of ...

Congratulations on your retirement

Diane Cox, a title clerk at Murray Motors in Lock Haven, stands with Matt Yeager, general manager at the Ford dealership on Bellefonte Avenue, on the occasion of Cox’s retirement after 27 years at the Ford dealership located atop the hill in Lock Haven. Murray Motors purchased Bob McCormick ...

Jersey Shore student receives Graham Nursing Scholarship

JERSEY SHORE — Pennsylvania College of Technology student Kara N. Libby of Jersey Shore was one of eight recipients of the 39th annual Lee and Bessie Graham Nursing Scholarship. The scholarship was presented recently by UPMC Susquehanna Lock Haven Hospital and the Lee & Bessie Graham ...

Old photo album

Sugar Valley High School class of 1958 The Sugar Valley High School class of 1958 celebrated 60 years on Aug. 11, with a dinner at the Hublersburg Hotel. Pictured are members of the class back in 1958. Front row, from left, homeroom teacher Robert Weaver, Janice (Geisewite) Overdorf, Mary ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I thought my husband and I had a great marriage — until I looked on his phone and found text messages to another woman. I was crushed. I asked him about it, and he said that it was nothing and that there were only a few messages. When I checked our cellphone details, I was ...

To Your Good Health

Avoiding an outbreak of HIV infection BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: My local news outlet here in Saskatchewan published a story on mutated strains of HIV present in my province being a concern to the medical community. As a sexually active adult, but not a user of injectable ...

Local Briefs

Rotary Club plans Halloween party for adults and children LOCK HAVEN — If you enjoy dressing up in costume and playing games, we’ve got an event for you. It’s a Halloween party for everyone — young and old. Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Downtown Lock Haven, the party will ...

Around the Town

Good Day to Edna Bartlett! Word of the Day Preta — A wandering or disturbed ghost, from Hindu mythology. Quote of the Day “Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.” – Barry LePatner School retirees fall luncheon The Clinton County ...

Calendar of events

TOMORROW - Free screening of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 classic film “Psycho” (R), 1 p.m., Centre County Library and Historical Museum, 203 N. Allegheny St., Bellefonte, 814-355-1516, www.CentreCountyLibrary.org. - Spaghetti dinner, 4:30-7 p.m., Curtin United Methodist Church, 305 Curtin ...

CORRECTION

- Breanna Long was wearing street clothes when she appeared in Lycoming County Court for sentencing on Tuesday, as she had been released on bail. The Express incorrectly reported she was wearing prison garb. - All DVDs and audio books at the Jersey Shore Public Library’s used book sale will ...

Fall Ball teams raise money for Caleb Leone with games

From staff reports WOOLRICH — The spirit of Little League isn’t simply just about learning how to play baseball or softball. It’s about understanding the value of community and sportsmanship. On Friday, Sept. 21, Woolrich Little League came together with Jersey Shore Little ...

LHU/City work together on flower garden

PHOTO PROVIDED On Sunday, Sept. 30, Lock Haven University students landscaped the Vesper Street Riverwalk Circle. The initiative was completed at the suggestion of LHU President Robert Pignatello, who also helped plant the garden, along with Gregory Wilson, city manager; Robin Rockey, project ...

Poppy Days participants receive certificates

PHOTO PROVIDED Members of Lock Haven Post #131’s American Legion Family, who participated in Poppy Days, are shown with their Poppy Certificates recognizing them for participation in the event. The certificates were presented at the Sept. 18 meeting by Poppy chairman Carol Wert Walker. ...

LH American Legion Auxiliary installs officers

PHOTO PROVIDED Lock Haven American Legion Auxiliary Unit #131’s officers were installed at their Sept. 18 monthly meeting by Sandra Miller, who is Centre, Lycoming and Clinton District President for the American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Pennsylvania. Shown from left in front are ...