Community

LOCAL BRIEFS

Do you own a pre-1900 American needlework sampler? STATE COLLEGE — The Centre County Historical Society (CCHS) is hosting Sampler Documentation Days on Feb. 15-16 at the Centre Furnace Mansion. This is a unique opportunity for owners of pre-1900 American needlework samplers to bring their ...

Old photo album: The PRR Walk Bridge in Renovo

PHOTO PROVIDED The PRR Walk Bridge in Renovo Western Clinton County Historian Charlie Barnum shared this photo of the PRR Walk Bridge from Fifth Street to the Railroad Shops in Renovo. During its hey day, when Renovo was a booming railroad town, the bridge would help 500 men come back to ...

Dear Annie: Finally jumping into the dating game

Dear Annie: I’m a 74-year-old single man who has never been in circulation. I have relatives, friends and others who keep asking me, “When are you getting married?” I don’t even know where to start with dating. I don’t know what it is these days or whether it even exists for me. ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY to Dusty Guerra Quote of the Day “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller Word of the Day Falderal — nonsense; meaningless ...

Residents asked to take survey on riverfront improvements

From staff reports RENOVO - Elected and civic leaders in Western Clinton County are seeking area residents’ help to improve the region and connect more people to the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. The Western Clinton County Susquehanna River Town Team - a group including local ...

Putting faces to the banner

By LAURA JAMESON ljameson@lockhaven.com RENOVO — When Jim Bowes saw the article “Wall of Champions” in The Express’s Jan. 7 edition he decided to shed even more light on the subject. As it turns out, Jim was a Renovo High School Railroader in 1957 and a member of the basketball ...

Ron Bauman takes on another challenge

LOCK HAVEN — Ron Bauman, well known in the community as “the walking man,” is at it again. For years Ron has been raising money for dozens of worthwhile causes. He walked hundreds of miles to collect money for the Salvation Army, the American Cancer Society, CROP Walk, Women’s ...

Bellefonte student participating in Harrisburg internship

BELLEFONTE – Amber Smoyer of Bellefonte is working in the Democratic House Legislative and Policy Research office as part of a 15-week internship sponsored by Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education. Smoyer is a senior political science major at Clarion University of Pennsylvania. ...

LOCAL BRIEFS

Talking about the ‘Cancer Conversation’ LOCK HAVEN — The Cancer Support Group will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, Feb. 14, at 7 p.m. in Conference Room B of Susque-View. The topics for this month are “Taking Control of the Cancer Conversation” and “Transforming Your Hurt ...

calendar of events

FEB. 10 — Dave Miller opens the Friends of the Pipes Winter Recital Series at 1:30 p.m. His jazz piano recital will be held in the Great Island Presbyterian Church at 12 W. Water St., Lock Haven with proceeds benefitting the historic pipe organ restoration project there.

Old Photo Album: Walnut Street Christian yearbook staff

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Walnut Street Christian yearbook staff Members of Walnut Street Christian School’s yearbook staff in 1991 take care of last minute details. From left they are, seniors Terrie Houtz, Jamie Bailey and Apryll Grossman and junior Steve Wurster.

Dear Annie: Living among boxes

Dear Annie: I moved four months ago, and there are still boxes and bags waiting to be unpacked. I hate looking at the piles. I want to clean up, I really do, but when I get home from work during the week, I am too exhausted to tackle the mess. And on the weekends, I savor my time to do nothing, ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy belated birthday to Frank Hanley of Lock Haven on Feb. 2 Venture Crew plans spaghetti fundraiser Venture Crew 007 is holding a spaghetti dinner fundraiser to raise money for a trip to the high adventure base in Florida next year. The dinner will be held from 4-8 p.m. ...

Royal Tea Time with the Queen

LOCK HAVEN — The Clinton County Fair Queen program invites all girls, ages 4-11, to Tea with the Queen on Saturday, March 2, from 1 to 2:30 p.m. in the Rebecca Gross Community Room at Ross Library. This is a fundraiser to benefit the Clinton County Fair Queen program which focuses on ...

SC Elks visits veterans hospital

PHOTO PROVIDED As is custom over the holiday season, the State College Elks’ Veterans Service Committee visited the James E. VanZandt Veterans Hospital in Altoona. Elks volunteers joined veterans in singing Christmas carols, served refreshments, and donated commissary gift cards to over ...

Milesburg legion honors fallen veterans

MILESBURG — Bob Gummo, of Yarnell, owner of Gummo Painting and Wood Raptor (wood carving) presented the Mumper-Shawley American Legion Post 893, Milesburg, with a gift honoring fallen Veterans. “This piece of art represents those who lost their lives for our freedom, It was an honor and ...

Old photo album: Do you know these girls?

PHOTO PROVIDED Do you know these girls? Pictured are a group of girls in Lock Haven, taken around the year 1900. Kathryn McFate, of Loganton, submitted the photo saying the girl with the “x” is her great-grandmother Elva Kyler who married author Herbert E. Stover. The background may be ...

Art welding class presents Iron Deer Sculpture

BY AMBER MORRIS LOGANTON — Students in the Art Welding Class at the Sugar Valley Rural Charter School recently presented the school with the gift of a new addition to the campus— a rather large, and heavy, decorative iron deer sculpture, that they handmade during the nine week course. ...

Pa. Happy Travelers to meet

LOCK HAVEN — The Pennsylvania Happy Travelers will meet for their regular monthly meeting on Thursday, Feb. 14, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. in Conference Room of the Haven Skilled Rehabilitation and Nursing Facility, 24 Cree Dr., Lock Haven. Trips for 2019 will be reviewed and reservations accepted ...

It’s ‘Library Lovers’ Month’ at Ross

LOCK HAVEN — Each February, the Ross Library celebrates Library Lovers’ Month with “Blind Date With A Book.” Books will be on display and available for checkout, but they’ll be wrapped up in paper, so the contents are unknown. Books will be marked with the genre, such as ...