Community

Old photo album UPDATE

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Quilting was part of Heritage Days Nancy Lockard, left, of Linden teaches the basics of quilting on Oct. 30, 1992 to sixth grade students from Porter Township Elementary School at Lamar. The students are, from left, Michelle Keches, Holly Farrington, Gretchen Rosser, ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’m an old guy with some advice for other older people in the workforce. I’ve been a contract attorney working in health care for over 30 years. When I got let go from my company three years ago after 15 years, I’m telling you, finding another job was the hardest job I’ve ...

To Your Good Health

Alcohol use not the only, or even most likely, cause of cirrhosis BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: I am a 78-year-old woman who was diagnosed just one year ago with primary biliary cirrhosis, which is an autoimmune liver disease. It was determined that it took me many years to get to ...

calendar of events

TODAY - Nittany Antique Machinery Show with vendors open 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Penns Cave, Centre Hall. - Free screening and discussion of the 2000 film “Remember the Titans” (PG), 1-4 p.m., Centre County Library and Historical Museum, 203 N. Allegheny St., Bellefonte, 814-355-1516, ...

LOCAL BRIEFS

Black Moshannon Monster Hunt Race Oct. 6 PHILIPSBURG — Calling all spooky monster hunters! The 7th Annual Black Moshannon Monster Hunt, an adventure scavenger race, will be held at Black Moshannon State Park on Oct. 6. You will go to a station, complete an activity, and get a clue ...

Around the Town

Good Day to Jackie Bartos! Word of the Day Adulation — Excessive or slavish admiration or flattery. Quote of the Day “Paradise was made for tender hearts; hell, for loveless hearts.” — Voltaire Flaming Foliage fundraisers Flaming Foliage Cow Puckie Bingo with ham pot pie ...

Cleanup of Sayers Lake is Saturday

BLANCHARD —Foster Joseph Sayers Lake has a new comrade, Keep Centre County Beautiful (KCCB). Everyone is invited to meet and work alongside KCCB’s executive director Rod Fye during a three-hour paddle and boat shoreline community litter cleanup this Saturday. Fye has been surveying ...

IUP announces dean’s list

INDIANA, Pa. — The following students are among those named to the spring 2018 dean’s list at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Students achieve dean’s list status when they are full time (12 or more credits) with a grade point average of 3.25 or higher, on a 4.0 scale. Dean’s list ...

REUNIONS HELD

Sweeley family Families of the late Henry, Mamie, James and Anna Sweeley had their annual reunion Saturday, Aug. 25 at Grove Park, Flemington. Thirty-five members attended including Clair, Pearl, Dave and Sue Seyler, Emily Eoute, Glenn and Robert Sweeley, Gary and Shelby Confer, Melissa ...

Rivals join forces for a good cause

JERSEY SHORE — Rivalries are meant to stay on the field. That’s exactly what students at both Jersey Shore and Central Mountain high schools are proving with a joint fundraiser planned for Saturday, Sept. 15, at Buttorff’s Hardware in Jersey Shore. Cheerleaders, football players and ...

Team RWB plans annual 9/11 Moving Tribute

LOCK HAVEN — Everyone may join the Lock Haven-Williamsport chapter of Team Red, White, and Blue and spend time this Tuesday carrying the American flag in remembrance of the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks on the United States. This is the sixth annual 9/11 Moving Tribute to honor ...

Old photo album

PHOTO PROVIDED Banjo, guitar class of 1934-35 Tom Berry of Beech Creek brought us this photo named “Banjo Et Haw. Guitar Class of ‘34-’35.” His mother, Pauline McCloskey, is the girl on the far left in the second row. Her son said he did not even realize she played guitar. He ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’d like to make a plea to your readers. My wife and I live far from the places where we grew up, but most of our friends are still close to our respective parents. When we visit, especially now that we have children, it is always stressful because of our friends’ ...

To Your Good Health

Inflammation of stomach structure gives reader a bellyache BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: After a stomach probe two years ago, I was told that I have mesenteric panniculitis. I know it’s inflammation of the stomach lining and that there’s no known cause of it. So, what can I do for ...

LOCAL BRIEFS

Flemington block party is Saturday FLEMINGTON — Hillview Wesleyan Church and the Flemington Hi-Neighbor Committee offer a community block party this Saturday, kicking off at 10 a.m. and running until 4 p.m. The block party will take place at the church at 1200 W. Fourth St. and Grove ...

calendar of events

TODAY - Nittany Antique Machinery Show with vendors open 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Penns Cave, Centre Hall. - Swing-nova performing, 5:45-8:45 p.m., Tussey Mountain Lodge, 301 Bear Meadows Rd., Boalsburg. TOMORROW - Nittany Antique Machinery Show with vendors open 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Penns Cave, Centre ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Birthday to Erik Guthrie! Word of the Day Thwart — To oppose successfully or to defeat the hopes or aspirations of. Quote of the Day “I think and think for months and years. Ninety-nine times, the conclusion is false. The hundredth time I am right.” — ...

DA presents new cameras to local police departments

PHOTO PROVIDED The Office of Clinton County District Attorney recently presented several local police departments with new digital cameras for use in criminal investigations. Citing the need to replace aging older and damaged equipment, DA Dave Strouse said, “being able to accurately ...

Groups partner for Christmas toy drive

The Marine Corps League and the Mark the Shark Toy Drive have begun a new partnership to gather donations of toys for children and families for the 2018 holiday season. Mark “The Shark” Schlesinger, founder of the annual drive that bears his radio name, and Bill Bechdel, local director of ...

Milesburg youth earns Eagle Scout Award

MILESBURG — Caleb Cain, son of Greg and Cindy Cain, recently received his Eagle Scout Award, at a ceremony at the Milesburg Community Center. Caleb is a member of Milesburg Troop 45, and a junior at Bald Eagle Area High School. He completed his Eagle Scout project in August of 2017 and ...