Community

Old photo album: Former JS High School under construction

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Former JS High School under construction Before it was Jersey Shore Area Middle School, the building located along Thompson Street in the borough was the new Jersey Shore High School. The building was constructed in 1958 and officially completed by June 1959. In the upper ...

Dear Annie: Stuff, stuff and more stuff

Dear Annie: Can hoarding be cured? If not, I’ve reached the end of my rope. My dear wife of more than 30 years, who does not work outside the home, has filled up our attic, two rented storage spaces and one bedroom with so much useless stuff that you cannot walk into any of them. Our own ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday to Shirley Jacobs Quote of the day “It’s not whether you get knocked down. It’s whether you get up.” – Vince Lombardi Word of the day Pseudogyny — adoption of woman’s name by a man Free new boots and shoes The Shoe Bank will give free, ...

‘Warm Hearts’ accessories drive concludes

UNIVERSITY PARK —The Center for the Performing Arts recently concluded its “Warm Hearts” clothing drive, held in partnership with Skills of Central PA, Inc. The event collected more than 150 new winter-weather items, including hats, scarves, gloves and socks, to benefit community ...

calendar of events

FEB 15 — Free movie night at Central Mountain High School Auditorium featuring “The House with a Clock in its Walls.” Doors open at 6:30; the movie begins at 7 p.m. Free movie, popcorn and water. All children must be accompanied by an adult.

Walnut Street Christian School lists honor students

AVIS — The following students at Walnut Street Christian School were named to honor rolls for the second quarter. HONOR ROLL Second grade — Evelynne Krick, Kaleb Shafer. Third grade — Colton Hayes. Fifth grade — Hallie Baumann, Dominic Brooks, Sarah Hall, Abigail Watford. Sixth ...

Dear Annie: Sad Valentine’s Day memories of the past

Dear Annie: Each Valentine’s Day, I am filled with incredible sadness. Two years ago, my husband and I were expecting our first baby girl. Her due date was Valentine’s Day, and we were so thrilled with love and excitement at the arrival of our baby girl. Her name was going to be ...

Around the Town

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY Today is Valentine’s Day and we’ve got some special wishes going out to Stanley Zimmerman, a resident of Eagle Ridge, on his 89th birthday; Joe Moore Jr. of Orviston on his birthday, Joe Mauck, on his birthday, and Bobbie and Jane McKivison of Beech Creek ...

SV Lions Club recognizes SV, CM students

LOGANTON —The Sugar Valley Lions Club honored two local students at its February meeting as part of the Student Recognition Program. This program recognizes outstanding students from two area schools for their achievements. They are selected and recommended for this award by their teachers ...

Elks members volunteer at Hoop Shoot events

Each year, the Elks host a basketball free throw (Hoop Shoot) contest for boys and girls ages 8 through 13. The Hoop Shoot Contest begins at the local lodge level, then advances to the Elks District level. It takes multiple volunteers for both the local and district levels to make sure the ...

Cub Scout Pack 82 holds Pinewood Derby

PHOTO PROVIDED Cub Scout Pack 82, the chartered organization of the State College Elks Lodge #1600, recently conducted its annual Pinewood Derby. The following scouts participated, from left, Natee Zalno, Derek Bowman, William Hanrahan, Nathan Babinski, Callie Rockmore, Sam Rockmore, and ...

Bellefonte Elks donate to Faith Center

PHOTO PROVIDED The Bellefonte Elks Lodge #1094, as a concerned member of the community, recently donated $1,500 to the Faith Center’s Emergency Heating Fund. This fund provides assistance to those who may have financial hardships and inabilities to pay heating bills. Shown making the ...

LH boys attend Elks District Hoop Shoot

PHOTO PROVIDED The Elks North Central District Hoop Shoot was held on Saturday, Feb. 2, at the Huntingdon Area High School. Shown here is Lock Haven Elks Lodge’s boys ages 8 to 9 representative Logan Hanna, right, along with Lock Haven Elks Lodge member and District State Vice President ...

“Just Your Cup of Tea” luncheon Feb. 27

LOCK HAVEN — The lunch programs of Lock Haven Christian Women’s Club begin the 2019 schedule on Wednesday, Feb. 27 at The Flemington Church of Christ at 714 Fairpoint Rd., Allison Township. The theme for the luncheon is “Just Your Cup of Tea.” The Special Feature will be a ...

Kids, teens can get free new boots, shoes on Saturday

LOCK HAVEN - The Lock Haven Area Shoe Bank offers a limited supply of free, new winter boots this Saturday, Feb. 16, for eligible kids and teens. The Shoe Bank also offers free new shoes on Saturday. Kids may choose a pair of boots from “the boot room,” even if this is not their ...

calendar of events

FEB 15 — Free movie night at Central Mountain High School Auditorium featuring “The House with a Clock in its Walls.” Doors open at 6:30; the movie begins at 7 p.m. Free movie, popcorn and water. All children must be accompanied by an adult. FEB 16 — All you can eat breakfast, 7 to 11 ...

Old photo album: Binder’s Bar in 1910

PHOTO PROVIDED Binder’s Bar in 1910 Pictured is Binder’s Bar taken during Old Home Week of1910. Binder’s Brewery in Brewery Hollow outside of Renovo needed a place to sell their brew. The bar was known for all the railroaders spending time waiting for their next road job, western ...

Dear Annie: Getting ready for a new dog

Dear Annie: I’m hoping to adopt a small dog soon, and obviously, my apartment needs to be prepared. The small, curious new member of the family will want to play with almost everything in reach, so I imagine I’ll need to clear the floor as much as possible. What else do I need to do to ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY ... all the lovers out there. Don’t forget to get your Valentine something special for Valentine’s Day tomorrow! Quote of the Day “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius Word of the Day Pelma — sole of foot Harlem Wizard ...

Bald Eagle Area mock trial team works with legal professionals

WINGATE — When a group of students from the Bald Eagle Area High School’s Mock Trial team walk into the Centre County Courthouse, there will be nerves. After all, junior member Luke Wilson said the atmosphere is intimidating, but one that can also lend itself to a plethora of learning ...