Community

Old photo album

Planting of a Washington elm Lucy Fullmer and Dick Darson plant a Washington elm on Lock Haven University’s campus. The photo was taken when the university was called Lock Haven Teacher’s College in the early 1900s. We are unsure of the exact date the photo was taken. Anyone who has more ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I started to gradually notice changes in my friendship with “Marla” while I was having marital trouble. During this time, I had a lot of support from close friends and family. Because Marla and I were extremely close, I was disappointed she wasn’t there for me. Marla started ...

To Your Good Health

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: I’m a 74-year-old male. I take Zocor, flecainide and a baby aspirin each day. For the past year, whenever I bump either arm, I get a large blood bruise that lasts for about a week or two. I don’t even remember some of the bumps. Is there something ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday to Jerry Barzona Quote of the Day “The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt Word of the Day Exoteric — Popular or commonplace. Veterans Day celebration at SVRC The Sugar Valley Rural ...

Holly Mart this weekend at LH Catholic

It’s time to start thinking about the holidays and Holy Spirit Parish’s Christmas Bazaar is just the place to begin looking for gifts for people on your Christmas list. Called the Holly Mart, the event will be held this weekend — Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 ...

Kiwanis Club of BENV Fulfills Eliminate Pledge

Mill Hall – WE DID IT! That was the cheer raised by the Kiwanis Club of Bald Eagle and Nittany Valleys at its annual Oktoberfest social event held on Oct. 23, 2018. In addition to enjoying German style food, beverages, and music, club members celebrated fulfillment of a Model Club ...

JS Senior High names students of the month

PHOTO PROVIDED Jersey Shore Senior High School’s students of the month for October are, from left, Olivia Snook, ninth grade; Skuyler Geary, 11th grade; Hailey Meixel, 12th grade, and Robert Parker, 10th grade. These students display value for everyone and everything, take individual ...

AAUW Lock Haven awards Inaugural Scholarship for Study Abroad

LOCK HAVEN — On June 10, 2018, AAUW Lock Haven awarded its inaugural Scholarship for Study Abroad to Claire Milliken, a junior at Lock Haven University who is now studying in Brussels, Belgium. Milliken is planning to graduate in spring 2019 with a BA in International Studies and an ...

Renovo Rotary gives dictionaries to third graders

Members of the Renovo Rotary Club visited the third grade classes at Renovo Elementary on Sept. 17 to give each student his or her own personal dictionary. Students were very appreciative to receive these books. Each book had a label inside with their name inside the book. The Renovo Rotary ...

RSVP awards recognize 20 plus year members

PHOTO PROVIDED At its 33rd Annual Volunteer Recognition Luncheon, the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) recognized two volunteers with 20 year service awards. Shown here are awardees Shirley Stump, left front, and Eleanor Tyson, right front. Presenting the Awards, from rear left, ...

30 plus year RSVP members recognized

PHOTO PROVIDED At its recent Volunteer Recognition Luncheon, the Retired Senior and Volunteer Program (RSVP) announced the recipients of 30 and more years of service awards. Recipients were Mary Crater, left front, and Richard Wolf, right front. Presenting the awards were, from back left, ...

Penns Valley November students of the month announced

PHOTOS PROVIDED The State College Elks Lodge #1600 are pleased to announce the selection of Caroline F. Collison, at left and Maximilian D. Engle, at right, as November 2018-2019 Students of the Month at the Penns Valley Area High School. Ms. Collison, daughter of Dr. Craig and Michelle ...

Susquehanna Valley Quilt Guild to meet

PENNSDALE — The Susquehanna Valley Quilt Guild will hold it’s next meeting on Thursday, Nov. 15 at 7 p.m. at the Pennsdale United Methodist Church, 658 Village Rd., Pennsdale. Members should note date change. The program for the evening will be Christmas Quilting 101. Members will visit ...

AREA CLUBS TO MEET

LOCK HAVEN — The following area clubs will be meet in the month of November. - The monthly meeting of the UPMC Lock Haven Hospital Auxiliary will be held on Nov. 19 at 1 p.m. in the Healthy Circle Meeting Room. All members welcomed. - The West Branch Bird Club invites the public to a free ...

Old photo album

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Mill Hall Mother’s March committee Pictured are members of the Mill Hall Mother’s March committee. We are unsure of when this photo was taken or who is pictured. Anyone who has more information about this photo is encouraged to contact Laura Jameson at The Express, by ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’m wondering whether you have a copy of a piece that I believe was in an Ann Landers column. It featured a woman who felt that someone she did not know was living in her house, and it was about getting older. I thought it was very funny but have never seen it again. — George ...

To Your Good Health

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: Is there any evidence that taking turmeric prevents cancer? I have a friend who is convinced that it does. — M.S. ANSWER: There are hundreds of cancers, some of which we can treat and a few of which we can prevent. Turmeric cannot, unfortunately, ...

Local Briefs — Nov. 7

Health care insurance topic at Alzheimer’s Support Group meeting LOCK HAVEN — The Alzheimer’s Support Group will meet Tuesday, Nov. 13 in Conference Room B of Susque-View with Darla Soleto, Office of Aging Apprise volunteer, as the guest speaker. APPRISE is a free health care ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday to Mary “Sis” Farley, 91, of Lock Haven. Quote of the Day “We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.” — Confucius Word of the Day Interregnum — A period during which a state or country has no ruler or executive ...

calendar of events

Today - Soup Off with meal, silent auction, door prizes, seatings at 11 a.m., 12 noon, 1:15 p.m., Haywood’s on the Green, Mill Hall; benefits Salvation Army. - The Clinton County Agriculture Preservation board of directors meeting, 3:30 p.m., Clinton County Conservation District office, ...