Community

Hyner challenge participants beat mud and heat

From staff reports HYNER — It was a hot and muddy start to Clinton County’s spring trail racing season last Saturday. Temperatures in the mid-70s, high humidity and lots of water run-off from the previous night’s heavy rains greeted participants for the 13th annual Hyner View Trail ...

LHU hosts Partnership ‘Time Out’

From staff reports LOCK HAVEN — Lock Haven University welcomed about 120 Clinton County Economic Partnership members and guests Thursday night as the University hosted a Partnership ‘Time Out’ after-hours networking event. LHU President Robert Pignatello welcomed the crowd, ...

MEETINGS NEXT WEEK

Monday ∫ Clinton County Commissioners, 9 a.m. Tuesday ∫ Centre County Commissioners, 10 a.m. Thursday ∫ Clinton County Commissioners, 10 a.m. ∫ Keystone Central School Board, 6:30 p.m.

calendar of events

SATURDAY ∫ All-you-can-eat breakfast buffet to benefit the national nonprofit Help Hope Live in honor of Jennifer Kershner, 7 - 11 a.m., Susquehanna Valley Big Twins Club House. If you can’t attend but would like to help out, you can donate at any time at ...

Old photo album: LHHS 1940 football team

PHOTO PROVIDED Pictured are members of the 1940 Lock Haven High School football team. In the first row, second from right is William McDowell Eyer and in the second row, from left, is #15 Henry Mellinger. Also pictured, but in no particular order are Coach Vince Davis’s son in the front ...

Old times in Sugar Valley

The geography of Clinton County sort of fascinates me. I’m about the only one who thinks like this; nobody else quite makes the science of it that I do. I can tell by the way my family’s eyes all glaze over when I talk about it. But think about it. Across the middle, there’s kind of a ...

Dear Annie: Adding a reward system

Dear Annie: My wife and I have a perpetual disagreement with each other about cleaning. I tend to be neat and organized. My wife tends to be messy and disorganized. I’m constantly extolling the virtues of organization to her, and she’ll agree and understand, but never implement. I try ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Sunday Anniversary to Jae and Michelle Eisenhower of West Chester! Word of the Day Fantod — An emotional outburst or fit. Quote of the Day “Try to be like the turtle – at ease in your own shell.” – Bill Copeland Clinton County Fair Farmers and Flea ...

REUNIONS

MAY 7 — LHHS and ICHS Class of 1953 monthly dinner, 5 p.m., Creek Side Restaurent. Questions: Russell 570-748-7455 or Nolen 570-748-3325. MAY 10 — BEN Class of 1961, 11:30 a.m., Fox’s Resturant. MAY 15 — LHHS and ICHS Class of 1959 luncheon, noon, Dutch Haven Restaurant. ...

SENIOR CENTER MENUS

Bread available daily Monday — Roasted pork and gravy with dressing, parsley potatoes, corn, pumpkin custard Tuesday — Barbeque chicken with sandwich roll, au gratin potatoes, peas and carrots, chocolate cake and pudding Wednesday — Baked fish florentine, mushroom orzo risotto, ...

BLOOD DRIVES

MAY 1 — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m, Davis Insurance Agency LLC., Lock Haven.

Clinton County Democrats’ Spring Dinner is May 9

LOCK HAVEN —The Clinton County Democratic Party’s Annual Spring Dinner will be held on Thursday, May 9, and all Democrats from Clinton County and the broader 12th Congressional District are invited to attend. The event will feature a social hour and live entertainment from 5-6 p.m., ...

Keller ‘meet and greet’ Saturday

LOCK HAVEN — Fred Keller, Republican nominee for Pennsylvania’s 12th Congressional District special election on May 21, will be campaigning in the area on Saturday. A rally and meet and greet is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. at the Clinton County GOP headquarters, 25 E. Main St., Lock Haven. ...

Howard Happenings

LIONS NEWS Howard Area Lions Club will be cleaning up the roadway on April 27. Lions and volunteers are to meet at the Howard VFW parking lot at 8 a.m. to start. This project is part of the Keep PA Beautiful program to pick up litter and debris from the local roadsides. Howard Area Lions ...

calendar of events

TODAY ∫ Yard sale and food stand, 9 a.m. start, Salona United Methodist Church. TOMORROW ∫ All-you-can-eat breakfast buffet to benefit the national nonprofit Help Hope Live in honor of Jennifer Kershner, 7 - 11 a.m., Susquehanna Valley Big Twins Club House. If you can’t attend but ...

Old photo album: Cross Fork High School in the early 1900s

PHOTO PROVIDED Pictured is Cross Fork High School between 1900 and 1910. The school was located on the ledge of the side hill below Kinney’s Store. The village had over 3,000 people living in the area. They had two saw mills and a stave mill, all working in the lumber business.

Dear Annie: Dreading wife’s reaction

Dear Annie: I am in my 70s, have been married for 42 years and have three grown children. I found out two years ago that I had a child with a woman I had dated 10 years before I met my wife. Her daughter tracked me down and contacted me. She said that he had been put up for adoption, but she ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Anniversary to Richard and Shirley Fye of Avis — and it’s also Richard’s birthday! Word of the Day Moiety — One of two equal parts, a half. Quote of the Day “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.” – Mitchell ...

Volunteers needed for Riverbank cleanup Saturday in Wayne Twp.

McELHATTAN — CleanScapes is looking for volunteers to help with the West Branch Susquehanna Riverbank cleanup in Wayne Township on Saturday. Registration begins at noon and the cleanup will be from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Volunteers will be working alongside CleanScapes and Lock Haven ...

Local Briefs

Downtown Rotary Club invites community to Family Game Night LOCK HAVEN — Family fun and games are on the agenda this Friday evening at Covenant United Methodist Church, 44 W. Main St. in Lock Haven. The church is handicapped accessible and there is a parking lot. It is across from ...