Community

The Central Mountain Bearded Dragons?

By HANNAH COLE Central Mountain Here at Central Mountain High School we have a beloved class pet who makes his home in room C123 with the Genetics, Biology, and Anatomy teacher Mrs. Kristina Akeley. I’m of course talking about our bearded dragon, Carl! Carl joined the Central Mountain ...

Boys’ Baseball

By SKYLAR SMITH Central Mountin Central Mountain spring sports teams are beginning to practice and prepare for their seasons. One spring sport we have here at Central Mountain is baseball. The baseball team consists of a varsity and junior varsity team. The baseball team typically has 13 ...

Boys’ Tennis

By RACHEL KIBLER Central Mountain The Central Mountain High School boys tennis team is just getting underway with their season. They started their practices on March 5. During the team’s practice, coach Mr. Peter Wert had the team start off with easy warm ups, then they worked on ...

Track and Field

By MADISON MYERS Central Mountain Spring is around the corner, and so are spring sports. This year the Central Mountain varsity track and field team has huge goals. Many of the athletes have stayed active this off-season and are prepared for a very competitive season. The practices run from ...

Softball

By TEANA BERRY Central Mountain With the softball season beginning for Central Mountain High school girls, we’re going to review how last season went. The Lady Wildcats headed to state quarterfinals after taking down Albert Gallatin 11-1 in the 5th inning. Their record for last season ...

Students Taking A Stand

By AVERY HEVERLY And EVE EISENHOWER Central Mountain School shootings have always been an issue here in the United States. But recently, it’s been a huge issue. In 2018 alone, we have had about 18 school shootings, and it is only March.This is a huge problem and we are not able to ...

The Golden Sneaker

By KATIE BURROWS Central Mountain The Golden Sneaker Award has been going on for quite some time and each month the classes get more competitive, the competition becomes tighter, and the events become more challenging. Overall the Golden Sneaker Award has become a memorable event for not ...

Students and Politics

By TRAVIS SUYDAM CENTRAL MOUNTAIN In the news all we have heard about is gun rights after the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida. The real conversation after these school shootings shouldn’t be about the second amendment but instead about the safety of ...

Bellefonte Masons honor 50-year members

PHOTO PROVIDED Bellefonte Masonic Lodge #268 honored five 50-year members on March 20. Seen from left are Worshipful Master David Alexander; the 50-year members: Past Master James McClellan, William Rockey, Sr., Past Master Robert Kimble, Frederick McMullin and Kline Wolf; and District Deputy ...

JS Lions give $500

to pool The Jersey Shore Lions Club recently made a $500 donation to the Jersey Shore Pool Association. Pool Manager Bonnie Messersmith receives the donation from Lions President Bob Wheeland. PHOTO PROVIDED

Happy Travelers slate important meeting

LOCK HAVEN — The Pennsylvania Happy Travelers Club will hold an important meeting at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 12 in the first-floor conference room of Haven Skilled Rehabilitation and Nursing, at UPMC Susquehanna Lock Haven Hospital. It is imperative that voting members (with pink dues ...

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

TODAY r “Introduction to Meditation,” 6:30-7:30 p.m., Centre County Library, 200 N. Allegheny St., Bellefonte, 814-355-1516, www.CentreCountyLibrary.org. FRIDAY r “Technology @ the Library,” one-on-one help with gadgets, 11 a.m.-12 noon, Centre Hall Area Branch Library, 109 W. ...

CM students look for help choosing careers

Students at Central Mountain High School had opportunity to explore more than a dozen careers recently as numerous local businesses set up booths in the gymnasium recently. Pictured above, about a dozen students spent some time with Michelle Fogal, director of Education at The Salon ...

JS School Board re-evaluates advertising policy

By CARA MORNINGSTAR For The Express JERSEY SHORE — Another committee has been formed to reopen the discussion on allowing electronic advertising on the Jersey Shore Area School District’s website. The committee consists of board members Kelley Wasson, Michelle Stemler and Harry ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Anniversary to Jan and Betty Bausinger! Word of the Day Agon — Conflict, especially the main dramatic conflict between the main characters of a literary work. Quote of the Day “I expect to pass through this life but once. If therefore, there can be any kindness I ...

Old photo album

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Bellefonte Avenue neighbors This quartet of friends on Bellefonte Avenue, Lock Haven, in days gone by included, from left, Hayes K. Schwarz, Raymond Moore, Adam C. Dickey and Daniel C. Ammon. Some, if not all of them, were prominent businessmen.

r Ask Rusty, Losing benefits you have earned

Dear Rusty: I’m 73 years old and have finally decided to call it quits from working and start taking life easy. My wife is 72 and has never worked outside our home, but we’re both in good health and are looking forward to “the good life” just doing what we want to do. I haven’t taken ...

Maximizing benefits and when to retire

Dear Rusty: I am looking for advice regarding maximizing Social Security benefits. In our case, my husband is 59 and has been on Social Security Disability for about five years. I am also 59 and work full time as a nurse. I would like to retire at age 62, but realistically will continue by ...

Lock Haven groups donate quilts, hats to newborns

March is National Quilt Month, and to celebrate, members of the Senior Program and Knotty Knitters at UPMC Susquehanna Lock Haven, as well as members of the Mill Hall Senior Center for Healthy Aging Quilt Group and Clinton County Piecemakers, visited The Birthplace at UPMC Susquehanna in ...

Speaker to talk about ‘The Big Picture’

UNIVERSITY PARK — Dr. Richard Alley, distinguished Evan Pugh Professor of Geosciences at Penn State, will deliver the talk “The Big Picture on Energy and the Environment” Tuesday, April 10 at Ross Library, beginning at 6 pm. The talk is sponsored by the community advocacy group SPARK ...