Community

Centre County to host conversation about mental health

From Staff Reports BELLEFONTE —The Centre County Board of Commissioners is inviting the public to a “Community Conversation about Mental Health Services in Centre County” from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 27 on the third floor of the courthouse annex, located at 106 E. High St. ...

Old Photo Album: Safety first!

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Safety first! A group of young men listen intently as they are instructed on proper gun safety. The photo was taken during a hunter safety course. Pictured on the far left is volunteer Clair C. Reeder. We’re unsure of who is else in the photo or when it was taken. Anyone ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and a very Happy 70th Anniversary to Ted and Dolly Reeder Jr., of Mill Hall. Quote of the Day “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” — Joshua J. Marine Word of the Day Undulationism — A theory that light ...

Letters to our boys

(Editor’s Note: This is another installment of The Express’ “Letter to Our Boys,” written during World War II to let “our boys” know what was happening back in their home towns. The Express will bring the letters to you occasionally, thanks to the efforts of Fred and Anna Snyder, ...

Mamma Mia at Millbrook

What could be more romantic: a remote Greek island, a wedding celebration, the full moon reflected on the shimmering sea? “Mamma Mia!” promises it all. But wait! Love, as we know, is complicated. In this case, a simple wish – that the bride’s father be present to walk her down the ...

Calendar of events

Today, June 24 ∫ Scrabble Club, 7 to 9 p.m., Avenue 209 Coffee House, 209 Bellefonte Ave., Lock Haven. All are welcome. Tuesday, June 25 ∫ Porter Township Community Library Summer Program, 9-11 a.m., Porter Township community building; guest readers, crafts, games, actaivities, snacks ...

Olivia spending her summer training Lancer to be a guide dog

LOCK HAVEN — It’s going to be a busy summer for Olivia Bognanni. The Penn State student will be spending the next couple of months at home in Lock Haven training a yellow Labrador puppy to be a service dog... and she knows it will be a lot of work. “It is, but I think it’s ...

Time to vote for your ‘baby sweetheart’

JERSEY SHORE — The Baby Sweetheart Contest has begun. Seventeen little boys and girls, ages 3 to 5, are entered in this year’s contest, which is part of the week-long Town Meeting celebration. The photos of these youngsters are now on display at the Jersey Shore Public Library, 110 ...

Help me do my job

I would like to introduce myself as the Agronomy Extension Educator for Clinton, Centre, Mifflin, and Juniata counties. My name is Adriana Murillo-Williams and I am honored of taking over this position where I will be working with the Penn State Extension Agronomy Team. ABOUT ME I have a ...

Finding Support

HEALTH ∫ Alzheimer’s and Caregivers Support Group — 7 p.m. July 9 (second Tuesday of the month), Conference Room B of Susque-View Home. Information: Fran Decker at 748-4302. ∫ Parkinson’s Support Group — Open to everyone interested in learning about the disease, 3 p.m. July 10 ...

Take steps to recovery

Editor’s note: Groups listed below focus on recovery from addiction, and the meetings are open to the general public, unless otherwise indicated. Al-Anon is for friends and family members of addicts, and Romans 12:2 is for people battling addiction and their families. — — — ...

Senior Center Menus

Bread available daily Monday — Cheddar cheese omelet, diced parsley potatoes, stewed zucchini and tomatoes, apple sauce, whole wheat bread Tuesday — Teriyaki meatballs, broccoli, brown rice, mandarin oranges Wednesday — Texas hot dog with sandwich roll, molasses baked beans, carrots ...

Local briefs

Friendship Community Library hosts summer events BEECH CREEK — Summer may be damp and humid outside, but it’s nice and cool in the Friendship Community Library. The library is hosting a variety of summer reading activities for kids of all ages. r Lego Robot Camp— Learn basic computer ...

Calendar of Events

Tuesday, June 25 The Porter Township Community Library Summer Program, 9-11 a.m., Porter Township community building; guest readers, crafts, games, actaivities, snacks and book selection. All toddlers, preschool, and elementary children are welcome for any or all sessions.

Meetings next week

Monday — Clinton County Commissioners, 9 a.m. Tuesday — Centre County Commissioners, 10 a.m. Bellefonte School Board, 7 p.m. Mill Hall Borough Council, 7 p.m. Thursday — Clinton County Commissioners, 10 a.m.

Reunions

JUNE 24 — LHHS Class of 1952 dinner, 5 p.m, Haywood’s on the Green. Questions, 570-748-4231. JUNE 26 — LHHS and ICHS Class of 1955 luncheon, noon, Creekside Restaurant. JUNE 27 — LHHS Class of 1964, monthly dinner, 6 p.m., Santino’s at the Pine Creek Inn on the patio. All ...

Around the town

GOOD DAY and Happy Anniversary to Robert and Loretta Coltrane, 47 years. Quote of the Day “The key to life is accepting challenges. Once someone stops doing this, he’s dead.” — Bette Davis Word of the Day tonsorial — of or relating to the work of a barber. Bloodmobile ...

Flag disposal service held at 40 & 8 Club

PHOTO PROVIDED The Forty & Eight Voiture 903 Clinton County held its annual Flag Disposal Ceremony on June 12 at the club grounds. Master of Ceremony Bernie Zbicki opened the program with a prayer led by Nelson Haight, Lampsite. Guest speaker from State Representative Stephanie ...

Weekend to be warm and sunny

LOCK HAVEN — Local residents looking for signs of summer can start looking up. While yesterday saw a flash flood watch issued for parts of Clinton, Centre and Lycoming counties through last night, conditions are expected to be warm and dry over the weekend. The National Weather Service ...

GoFundme page set up for Fallon House restoration

From Staff Reports LOCK HAVEN — Want a chance to help in the restoration of a historic landmark here in Lock Haven? That’s what Fallon Hotel owner Carey Chisolm is offering with the opening of a GoFundme campaign. “Among the many valuable lessons acquired during my time serving our ...