Community

The Silver Lining

FEBRUARY 2018 O, February 2018, You went by so fast. Only 28 days you brought. They seemed to really pass. You brought some wind, Then some ice and snow, But ended up with warmer temps Which we really enjoyed so. “Six more weeks of winter,” Announced Punxsutawney Phil. How our ...

Senior centers list fun activities for March

Centers are open 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday, except on holidays. Clinton County Community Center 124 E. Walnut St. (STEP building in Clinton Plaza) 858-5800 March 2 — Card party, 1 p.m. March 7 — “All About Caffeine” handout, 11:30 a.m. March 9 — Treadmill and ...

Annuities: The good, the bad, the ugly

In 1966, Clint Eastwood boosted his film career by starring in the Western “The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.” This Western film title can be used to describe annuity investments. Annuities can be a “good” investment by helping serve the purchasers’ financial goals, but only if ...

r Ask Rusty When should I apply for Social Security?

By RUSSELL GLOOR Dear Rusty: I will be turning 62 in 2018; my birth date is Sept. 24, 1955. My husband is 77 and receiving Social Security. Longevity runs in my family. I have been self-employed all my life. I am still working and my husband collects a pension, Social Security and RMD from a ...

Save the date for ‘Enchanted Evening’

LOCK HAVEN — Susque-View reminds everyone to save the date of Friday, April 27 for “An Enchanted Evening,” the fourth annual charity gala. The fun starts with a social hour from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., followed by dining and dancing, all in the Durrwachter Alumni Conference Center at Lock ...

Xi Epsilon Sigma names Valentine Sweetheart 2018

HOWARD — Rita Lehman Ruhl was crowned Valentine Sweetheart of Xi Epsilon Sigma Chapter, Beta Sigma Phi (BSP) Sorority on Tuesday, Feb. 13 at the Kitchen Witch Cafe. The coronation was conducted by the 2017 Sweetheart, Sally Barner, who also presented Rita with a traditional Valentine ...

MH Rotary Club hosts speech contest winner

Rachel Weaver, center, one of three Rotary 4-Way Test Speech Contest winners from Central Mountain High School, presented her speech to the Rotary Club of Mill Hall Sunrise recently. With her are Alison Kramer, left, the contest coordinator, and Jennifer Temple-English, a CMHS teacher. The ...

MH Kiwanis supports school police dog

The Kiwanis Club of Mill Hall recently made a donation to Keystone Central School District for its new police dog, Duchess. Seen with Duchess is her handler, KCSD security officer Scott Van Gorder. Standing are, from left, Kiwanis club president-elect Brian Hoy, Mike Fetzer of KCSD security, ...

Ross Library plans activities in March, April

LOCK HAVEN — The Ross Library has planned numerous activities for the community during March and April. r Coloring for adults has been shown to decrease stress and stimulate creative thinking. The libraries in Clinton County are inviting the public to a coloring session for food and ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy Belated Anniversary to Jim and Donna Moore, 52 years from Beech Creek! Word of the Day Instauration — Restoration after decay, lapse, or dilapidation. Quote of the Day “The power of imagination makes us infinite.” — John Muir Beef and noodles Dunnstown ...

Old photo album

PHOTO PROVIDED A Sunday school class at First Church of Christ Robert “Dean” Somerville of Lock Haven is sharing this photo with other Express readers. It shows Albert R. Hauke’s Intermediate Sunday School Class at the Lock Haven First Church of Christ, probably taken in the late ...

They represent you

g State Rep. Mike Hanna (D-76), 570-748-5480; or email: mhanna@pahouse.net g State Rep. Garth Everett (R-84), 570-546-2084, or email: geverett@pahousegop.com g State Rep. Kerry Benninghoff (R-171), 814-355-1300, or email: kbenning@pahousegop.com g State Sen. Joseph Scarnati (R-25), ...

‘See Something, Say Something’

MILL HALL — KC substitute superintendent Dr. Alan Lonconus has sent a message to the community in the aftermath of the recent shooting at a Parkland, Fla. high school that killed 17 people, 15 of them students. KCSD has implemented “See Something, Say Something.” “All students, in ...

Kerith Strano-Taylor suspends one race, enters another

BROOKVILLE — After losing two attempts to represent Pennsylvania’s 5th District in U.S. Congress, Kerith Strano-Taylor has decided to suspend her third Congressional campaign based on the changes made to my Congressional district under the redistricting announced this past Monday by the ...

Murder Mystery

It was an audience thrilling experience for the well over 100 people who attended the Greater Renovo Area Heritage Park’s Murder Mystery Dinner held at the Elks Club in Renovo. In addition to the stellar acting, the cast turned the tables on the crowd and had them performing as well. Pictured ...

Around the Town

Good Day and Happy 52nd Anniversary to June and Dave Harpster of Mill Hall! Word of the Day Olid — Foul-smelling. Quote of the Day “Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.” – Joseph Campbell NAMI meeting The National Alliance on Mental ...

Old Photo Album

PHOTO PROVIDED Undefeated season for LHHS football Hoby Beck brought us this photo to share with other Express readers. It shows the Lock Haven Senior High School football team for the 1995-96 school year. Some Express staff members recognize this as a team that went undefeated in the ...

Calendar

Today r Painting exhibition “28 Months” by Mary Lou Bonner, Carlene Hamilton and Mary McMinn, 2-6 p.m., Tom Svec’s show room and gallery, 51 Island Route, Lock Haven; refreshments. r Chicken and waffle supper, 4-7 p.m., Beech Creek-Blanchard Fire Company Social Hall, sponsored by ...