Community

Old Photo Album: South Renovo Fire Company

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Members of the South Renovo Citizen’s Hose Fire Company pose for a photo with one of the station’s trucks in 1958. From left, H. Sample, driver Philip Stoltz and Fire Chief M. McGill.

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy Belated Birthday to Ruth Lannan and Judy McMann who celebrated on Jan. 16. Happy Belated Anniversary to Tom and Sharon Doebler who celebrated on Jan. 17. Quote of the Day “Always stand on principle... even if you stand alone.” — John Adams Word of the ...

Betty White marks 99th birthday Sunday; up late as she wants

LOS ANGELES (AP) — True to form, Betty White has something impish to say about her birthday Sunday. “Since I am turning 99, I can stay up as late as I want without asking permission!” she told The Associated Press in an email. White’s low-key plans include feeding a pair of ducks ...

Pennsylvania Farm Show spotlight: Young women shaping agriculture’s future

HARRISBURG — Agriculture Secretary Russell Redding is addressing diversity and inclusion as a key challenge in cultivating a bright future for Pennsylvania’s agriculture industry. The Pennsylvania Farm Show spotlight will focus on women in agriculture who are shaping the industry’s ...

Avis antique store destroyed by fire

LAURA JAMESON/THE EXPRESS After the heavy smoke cleared and firefighters took their equipment back to the fire station, a huge pile of items, including antiques and fallen bricks, surrounded the Avis building at 8 W. Central Ave., which was destroyed by fire Thursday. Yellow safety tape ...

Housing Coalition needs help with Spring Carnival

LOCK HAVEN — The Clinton County Housing Coalition has secured Riverview Park on May 22, 2021 to host its First-Ever Spring Carnival fundraising event. This is a new event in lieu of the Daddy-Daughter Dance which was postponed due to the pandemic. We need to plan Anyone interested in ...

Local briefs

Historical Society plans Zoom membership meeting LOCK HAVEN— The annual membership meeting of the Clinton County Historical Society will be held on Jan. 21, at 5 p.m., at the Poorman Gallery 352 E. Water St., Lock Haven. You may join this meeting via Zoom (go to www.clintonpahistory.org ...

Mount Nittany named top performer

STATE COLLEGE — Out of more than 100 participating hospitals, Mount Nittany Medical Center has been named a top performer in non-critical care in the Glycemic Control Electronic Quality Improvement Program (eQUIPS) for Fall 2020 by the Society of Hospital Medicine. Kristin Thelen, clinical ...

Old Photo Album: Presenting the flag

EXPRESS ARCHIVES Two boy scouts pose with Jeff McKeague, left, and Don Probst, right, during a flag presentation to the Lock Haven VFW. If you know who the two boy scouts are when this photo was taken, please contact Laura Jameson at ljameson@lockhaven.com or by calling 570-748-6791.

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday to Ruth Lannan and Judy McMann! Quote of the Day “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” — Lao Tzu NFL Playoffs continue Well, the Pittsburgh Steelers were eliminated from the postseason last weekend with an upset loss to the ...

Old Photo Album: All hands on deck

EXPRESS ARCHIVES It’s all hands on deck as Woolrich Woolen Mill employees are hard at work sewing pieces of clothing together on the plant floor. Before the days of automated machines, these ladies were key to getting the popular brand out to eager customers.

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday to Donald Weaver! Quote of the Day “We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes.” — John F. Kennedy Word of the Day Calcar — A spur or spurlike projection, such as one found on the base of a petal or on the wing or leg of a ...

Howard Happenings

HOWARD AREA LIONS Howard Area Lions Food Bank’s next distribution date will be on Monday, Jan. 18, for residents who live in the Beech Creek area of Clinton County and those residents of Centre County who missed their distribution date earlier this month. Food bank hours are from noon to 3 ...

Owners of A Flower Basket in Bellefonte deliver donations

BELLEFONTE — Susan and Craig Munnell stepped up. The Munnells, owners of A Flower Basket in Bellefonte, recently started a Gofundme page and took donations at their shop for a special project. Their goal? To show appreciation and support the people working with COVID-positive patients at ...

Rail freight improvements coming to South Avis

SOUTH AVIS — A rail freight improvment project in Clinton County is among 26 projects that will enhance freight mobility while creating or sustaining more than 200 jobs across Pennsylvania. The announcement was made Tuesday by Governor Tom Wolf. The state will provide $391,461 to South ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday to Mike Taylor of Lock Haven, 64... Sharon Stover, 70. Happy Anniversary to Jake and Kalena Walters. Word of the Day Trousseau — The possessions, such as clothing and linens, that a bride assembles for her marriage. Quote of the Day “You’ll ...

UPMC professionals tell public vaccines are coming soon

PITTSBURGH — Distribution of the COVID vaccines was the main topic at a virtual UPMC press briefing on Tuesday. Three UPMC professionals — Tami Minnier, MSN, RN chief quality officer; David A. Nace, MD, chief medical officer UPMC Senior Communities, and Donald Yealy, MD, UPMC senior ...

Pa. driver license, photo centers closed MLK holiday

PLEASANT GAP — The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced that all driver license and photo centers, including the centers in Pleasant Gap and McElhattan, will be closed this Saturday, Jan. 16, through Monday, Jan. 18, in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday to Marilyn Welshans, Greenburr, Sugar Valley (belated) ...Peggy Long of Howard. Quote of the Day “Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength.” — Theodore Roosevelt Word of the Day Numen — A ...

Leona Palski publishes another “Dimples” book

PHOTO PROVIDED Leona Palski has just published her sixth Dimples the Snowman’s book. Entitled “Dimples the Snowman and the Hayride” is available at Leona’s daughter’s store “A Little Bird,” on Grove Street in Lock Haven and also on Amazon. “I can also sign and deliver to ...