Community

Around the Town

GOOD DAY ... and Happy Anniversary to Kenny and Jean Boone of Howard, 53 years. Word of the Day Fucivorous — eating seaweed Quote of the Day “Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.” — George Addair Soup Sale and Luncheon Howard United Methodist Church ...

correction

In Saturday’s court news, it was incorrectly reported that Sean David Lapp was sentenced to serve 497 days in the Clinton County Correctional Facility. Lapp had already spent 497 days in the local jail and was given credit for that time, according to the court order. We apologize for the ...

Old Photo Album

PHOTO PROVIDED Students from Renovo High School Pictured are students from Renovo High School’s class of 1960. From left, Bill Kennis, Charles Haas, unknown, Sandra Mason and Robert Paloskey. The Renovo High School had two open stairways from the basement to the second floor. One in the ...

Around the town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday to Renee Miller, Lock Haven SVC of Brethren to host turkey supper The Sugar Valley Church of the Brethren are hosting a turkey dinner on Feb. 23 from 4 to 7 p.m. Donations will be accepted for the dinner with all proceeds benefitting the church’s ...

Winter trail race draws 300 to area

From staff reports LOCK HAVEN — This past Saturday marked near perfect conditions for a winter trail race, and nearly 300 people took on the challenge of the Frozen Snot, held in the McElhattan area on Bald Eagle Mountain on city of Lock Haven Watershed property and Bald Eagle State ...

Great Island Winter Recital Series

LOCK HAVEN — The Friends of the Pipes at Great Island Winter Recital Series presents Richard Weston, lyric tenor, on Sunday, Feb. 17, for a 1:30 pm performance in the church sanctuary, 12 W. Water St., Lock Haven. Weston is a graduate of Oberlin Conservatory of Music in Ohio and the ...

Local supporter offers ‘Tea with the Queen’ tickets at discount price

LOCK HAVEN — A local supporter is offering tickets at a discount price for “Tea with the Queen,” a fundraiser for the Clinton County Fair Queen program. The event invites all girls, ages 4-11, to have tea with Clinton County Fair Queen McCartney Register on Saturday, March 2, from 1 to ...

Penn College explores offering graduate degree in nursing

WILLIAMSPORT – Pennsylvania College of Technology will begin exploring the addition of a second master’s degree to its slate of academic offerings. The Penn College board of directors on Thursday authorized the college administration to begin developing the curriculum for a Master of ...

Old photo album: Renovo Biddy League All Stars 1959 -60

PHOTO PROVIDED Renovo Biddy League All Stars 1959 -60 Pictured are the Renovo Biddy Leauge All Stars from 1959 to 1960. Back row, from left, are Lew Logue, Ralph Tarr, Curt Anderson, Gary Market, Bill Hepner, Fred Miller, Jack Hanobic and Mr. Wentzel. Front row, from left, are Bill ...

LOCAL BRIEFS

Democrats plan ‘Soup & Sign event’ on Feb. 26 LOCK HAVEN - Registered Democrats are invited to attend the “Soup & Sign” event from 5 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 26, to support Democratic candidates seeking office. Attendees will be able to enjoy free soup, or make a ...

Dear Annie: Why won’t he stop calling?

Dear Annie: My husband and I had a wonderful relationship, and he was a great man. A few years after he died, I reconnected with a divorced male friend whom I knew as a young person. We were doing things together, and I enjoyed his company. He’s 80. I am 78. He lived in another town, and we ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY and Happy Birthday to Ethel Kinley, of Farrandsville Democratic ‘Soup & Sign’ event Feb. 26 Enjoy free soup and help candidates get on the Primary Election ballot at the Democratic Soup & Sign on Tuesday, February 26 from 5-7 p.m. at the Clinton County Government ...

SENIOR CENTER MENUS

Bread available daily Monday — Chicken parmesan, garlic bread stick, ratatouille, baby carrots Tuesday — Fresh pork sausage with alfredo sauce, fettuccine alfredo, winter vegetable blend, banana Wednesday — Breaded chicken, molasses baked beans, broccoli and cauliflower, oatmeal ...

LHU holds Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service

LOCK HAVEN — Approximately 80 Lock Haven University students, faculty and staff celebrated the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by volunteering their time toward service and civic activities during the first LHU MLK Day of Service event on Saturday, Feb. 2. The day began in ...

Howard Happenings

TABS NEEDED A local family is in need of aluminum can tabs which will help them to stay at the Ronald McDonald House while their child is seen at Geisinger in Danville. Please save your soda or beer can tabs and get them to me at Insurance Office soon. I’m hoping that the Askey family will ...

LOCAL BRIEFS

Do you own a pre-1900 American needlework sampler? STATE COLLEGE — The Centre County Historical Society (CCHS) is hosting Sampler Documentation Days on Feb. 15-16 at the Centre Furnace Mansion. This is a unique opportunity for owners of pre-1900 American needlework samplers to bring their ...

Old photo album: The PRR Walk Bridge in Renovo

PHOTO PROVIDED The PRR Walk Bridge in Renovo Western Clinton County Historian Charlie Barnum shared this photo of the PRR Walk Bridge from Fifth Street to the Railroad Shops in Renovo. During its hey day, when Renovo was a booming railroad town, the bridge would help 500 men come back to ...

Dear Annie: Finally jumping into the dating game

Dear Annie: I’m a 74-year-old single man who has never been in circulation. I have relatives, friends and others who keep asking me, “When are you getting married?” I don’t even know where to start with dating. I don’t know what it is these days or whether it even exists for me. ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY to Dusty Guerra Quote of the Day “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller Word of the Day Falderal — nonsense; meaningless ...

Residents asked to take survey on riverfront improvements

From staff reports RENOVO - Elected and civic leaders in Western Clinton County are seeking area residents’ help to improve the region and connect more people to the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. The Western Clinton County Susquehanna River Town Team - a group including local ...