Community

LHU students plant 5,000 trees in local forest for Arbor Day

LOCK HAVEN—Lock Haven University students from Dr. James Bean’s interpersonal and leadership skills classes, and their friends, recently helped plant 5,000 trees in Sproul Forest above Renovo. The planting took place on April 27—the day after Arbor Day—as a part of the annual Penn ...

State College Elks teach drug awareness

PHOTO PROVIDED The State College Elks Lodge recently participated in the Patton Township Children’s Safety Fair, and distributed information related to the Elks Drug Awareness messages. Shown here are Ava and Ben, as they obtain Drug Awareness literature and other information from Elks ...

Clinton County Master Gardener Plant Sale to be held May 18

MACKEYVILLE — The Penn State Master Gardeners of Clinton County are busy preparing for their annual plant sale which will be held on Saturday, May 18, at the Clinton County Fairgrounds. The sale will include native trees, shrubs and perennials as well as herbs, vegetables, and transplants ...

Old Photo Album: Local man visited Notre Dame in 1965

PHOTO PROVIDED Retired Army Sgt. Terry Banfill, of Lock Haven, who was stationed at Kaiserslautern, Germany with the HQ Co. 24 Engineering Co. is seen above in front of the famous Notre Dame Cathedral. The cathedral recently was the center of everyone’s attention as a large blaze ripped ...

Leadership Clinton County holds 19th graduation

LOCK HAVEN — Leadership Clinton County held graduating ceremonies on May 9 to complete its 19th year of the innovative training program. Participants spent the past nine months strengthening their leadership abilities to enhance the quality of life in Clinton County. They gained ...

Porter supervisors recognize Seven Mountains EMS

LAMAR — The Porter Township Supervisors recognized the Seven Mountains EMS Council at the supervisor’s meeting on May 6. Tim Nelson, executive director of Seven mountains EMS Council, reported that National Emergency Medical Service Week will be celebrated May 19-25, and said this is an ...

Sugar Valley plans Memorial Day festivities

LOGANTON — There will be lots of activities in Sugar Valley on Memorial Day, including the annual parade at 2 p.m. and a Memorial Day service immediately following the parade. The parade forms at the east end of Loganton and moves west on Main Street to the intersection where a service ...

Calendar of Events

Tuesday, May 14 ∫ Clinton County Ag Preservation board meeting, 3:30 p.m., Clinton County Conservation District office in Mill Hall. ∫ Program/meeting of the Clinton County Genealogical Society (CCGS) will be about the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps of our area, presented by ...

Dear Annie: Putting your best shoe forward

Dear Annie: I’ve been working as professional for more than 10 years, and I’m arriving at the point in my career where I’m now responsible for spending more time meeting with clients. I’m excited for my continued growth and success, and I’m always seeking ways to grow. I have a ...

Around the Town

Good Day ... and Happy Birthday to Chuck Ingram Quote of the Day “Random things are luxurious to people. It’s personal.” — L’Wren Scott Word of the Day Dirigism — State control in economic and social spheres Flag raising at Rest Haven There will be a Rest Haven ...

Around the town

Good Day and Happy Anniversary to Don and Diane Fowler! Word of the Day Obnubilate — to becloud; to obscure. Quote of the Day “Goals transform a random walk into a chase.” — Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi Woolrich Church Yard Sales Woolrich United Methodist Church will be holding ...

Republicans plan ‘Meet the Candidates Night’

LOCK HAVEN - The Clinton County Republican Party will host a Meet the Candidates Night on Wednesday, May 15, from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the GOP Election Center located at 25 E. Main St. in Lock Haven. Kurt Smith, Clinton County Republican Party Chairman, invites the public to attend, meet ...

Calendar of Events

TODAY - Civil War Roundtable, 6 to 8 p.m., Avenue 209 Coffee House, 209 Bellefonte Ave., Lock Haven. All are welcome. - Scrabble Club, 7 to 9 p.m., Avenue 209 Coffee House, 209 Bellefonte Ave., Lock Haven. All are welcome. TOMORROW - Clinton County Ag Preservation board meeting, 3:30 ...

Farmers and Flea Market kicks off season at fairgrounds

By JOHN RISHEL jrishel@lockhaven.com MACKEYVILLE — Tuesdays will now offer local residents in the area a unique shopping opportunity — the Farmers and Flea Market at the Clinton County Fairgrounds in Mackeyville. The market —which will include vendors selling all kinds of ...

Old photo album: A historic train in Avis

LOCK HAVEN — Being able to get to speeds of over 100 miles per hour is seen as an easy task these days with cars and trucks. However, more than a century ago that was practically impossible. During the locomotive era, when trains were the biggest source of transportation across the ...

Ghosts, history and Highland

I’m giving a tour tonight. I’d like to invite you all to join me. I think it’s safe to say I give the best tours of downtown Lock Haven. Actually, to the best of my knowledge, I give the only tours of downtown Lock Haven. I’ve become somewhat recognized for it, which is a relief, as ...

Dear Annie: Never Too Late to Thrive

Dear Annie: I am an older gay man. The bullying started when I was young. The boys in the neighborhood didn’t want me around because I was lousy at sports. The girls didn’t want any boys around while they were playing. When I started school, it wasn’t any different. Bullying increased ...

ServSafe food safety certification class in Loganton

LOGANTON — Starting in 2020, the Pennsylvania Food Code will require that the person in charge of a food service operation be a certified food protection manager — and such a person must be onsite at all times during operating hours. That means at least one employee on each shift must ...

calendar of events

SATURDAY ∫ Lemont Village Association Spring Plant Sale, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Village Green, between Dale Street and Mt. Nittany Road off Pike Street, Lemont. ∫ Spring Festival, 11 a.m. to ?, Phelps Chapel Church at the Pine Creek exit off of Route 220. Feat. homemade ice cream, potato ...