Community

Around the Town

GOOD DAY ...and happy birthday to Belinda (Andrus) Warren, 63, of McElhattan Quote of the Day “Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get.” — Forrest Gump New Sunday bingo! New Sunday Bingo, paper packages and bingo machines every Sunday at the ...

Salvation Army honors local veterans

PHOTO PROVIDED The Lock Haven Salvation Army honored local veterans with a dinner on Veterans Day. Special guest was Clinton County Director of Veterans Affairs Bill Bechdel. Pictured, from left, front, are Harold Shoemaker, Carl Andrus, Bob Jackman, Dick Gill, Jim Gill and Talford Hill; and ...

Critic of contemporary feminism to speak at LHU

LOCK HAVEN - A student organization at Lock Haven University will host a woman known as a critic of contemporary feminism at a speech this week on campus. Christina Hoff Sommers is an American Enterprise Institute Scholar author, philosopher, and professor at Clark University. She will ...

Local briefs

‘Finding Dory’ showing at Movie Night MILL HALL — The movie “Finding Dory” will be presented at Community Movie Night at Central Mountain High School Auditorium on Friday, Nov. 30. The movie, popcorn and water are free to all who attend. Donations will be accepted. Movie ...

Calendar of Events

Tuesday, Nov. 13 - Dirt, Gravel and Low Volume Roads Quality Assurance Board, 8 a.m. Will discuss 2019 ranking. - Red, White, and Blue Team to speak, 7 p.m., third floor of Ross Library.

Old photo album

PHOTO PROVIDED Lock Haven celebrates the end of WWI In November of 1918 Lock Haven celebrated the ending of World War I with a parade on Main Street. This photo was taken by John W. C. Floyd and given to The Express by Kelsey Spangler. Thank you Kelsey for sharing such an amazing moment in ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: A former co-worker of my husband’s invited us to his son’s wedding. We received the usual “save the date” card one year prior to the ceremony. For the whole year, he asked us whether we would be attending every other week. About six months before the wedding, my husband’s ...

Too much iron is treated by regular blood donations

BY KEITH ROACH, M.D. DEAR DR. ROACH: I’m a 70-year-old woman. Last October, during my annual physical, blood tests showed that my iron levels were extremely high. My doctor did additional blood tests for hemochromatosis and concluded that I didn’t have it. She suggested that I donate ...

Around the Town

GOOD DAY ... and happy belated birthday to Renee Taylor, 60, of Lock Haven. Word of the Day Claddagh — A ring in the form of two hands clasping a crowned heart, given in friendship or love. Quote of the Day “I don’t understand why when we destroy something created by man we ...

Renovo honors local Veterans

KEVIN RAUCH/THE EXPRESS Above, the youngest students of the Bucktail Campus have garnered the yearly tradition of opening the Veterans assembly with students of the Headstart Pre-K Class kicking things off by leading the Pledge of Allegiance. From left are Ryker Yost, Sarah Auman, Drake ...

Around the town

Good Day and Happy Belated Birthday to Donald Flick, 88, of McElhattan who celebrate Nov. 11 Quote of the day “I don’t understand why when we destroy something created by man we call it vandalism, but when we destroy something created by nature we call it progress.” — Ed Begley ...

Author to visit Ross Library

LOCK HAVEN — In a free event for the local and Lock Haven Univerity communities, professor and author Marjorie Maddox Hafer will discuss mining ideas for fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry from everyday experiences and traditional tales. She will read, among other selections, brief ...

Calendar of events

Monday, Nov. 12 r Cash Bingo fundraiser, St. John’s Catholic School, 7 p.m. at the school at 116 E. Bishop St., Bellefonte. Doors open 6 p.m., games start at 7 p.m. Proceeds benefit the Bellefonte Knights of Columbus. r Herb Guild, 7 p.m., Conference Room E at the Lock Haven Hospital. ...

Senior center menus

Bread available daily Monday — Closed for observance of Veteran’s Day. Tuesday — Breaded fish sandwich with sandwich roll, stewed tomatoes, macaroni and cheese, fresh apple. Wednesday — Creamed chicken with buttermilk biscuit, lemon pepper broccoli and cauliflower, fruit cocktail. ...

Old Photo Album Update

PHOTO PROVIDED A coach’s focus Bald Eagle Area Football Coach Ron Hoover watches his players execute a play. Coach Hoover was an assistant coach at BEA from 1983 until he became head coach in 1998. He retired in 2001 but returned to coach again in 2014 before resigning due to health reasons.

Yellows save the day

By TOM BUTZLER What does the fall color of the landscape and winter snowflakes have in common? While they typically occur in different seasons (an occasional overlap), each yearly autumn landscape and individual snowflake are distinct and unique. No two are alike. This fall, Penn ...

Calendar of events

Saturday, Nov. 10 r Silent auction, Dogwood Circle Garden Club’s freshly made fall arrangements, benefits the Ross Library on during library hours. Club members will tally the bid sheets at 3 p.m. Nov. 10 and call the winners. r Fall Fair, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m., St. Luke’s United Church ...

Meetings next week

TUESDAY — Centre County Commissioners, 10 a.m. THURSDAY — Clinton County Commissioners, 10 a.m.

Blood drives

Monday, Nov. 12 — Tri County North Central Church, 205 Main St., Mill Hall, 1 to 6 p.m.

Reunions

NOV. 12 — LHHS Class of 1950, noon at Creekside, Mill Hall. Questions: Patty at 570-726-3374. NOV. 14 — LHHS and ICHS Class of 1958 monthly get-together, 6 p.m., Dutch Haven. Questions, 570-660-0134 NOV. 28 — LHHS and ICHS Class of 1955 lunch, noon, Dutch Haven. DEC. 4 — LHHS ...