Community

Local man elected president of State Corrections Officers Assn.

LOCK HAVEN — The Pennsylvania State Corrections Officers Association (PSCOA) has elected Clinton County native and resident Larry Blackwell to his first term as president of the organization. The entire Blackwell slate was elected, and each new officer will serve three-year terms. “It ...

Local briefs

Centre County Farm Tour BELLEFONTE — The Centre County Farm Tour will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, July 27. The tour is free this year and will feature10 farms in Penns Valley and Nittany Valley. The family-friendly tour will include introductions to the animals, ...

Around the town

GOOD DAY to Mildred Fetzer, of Howard Quote of the Day “I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.” — Thomas Jefferson Word of the Day Seismotherapy — Medical therapy using vibrations How to stay cool during the heat wave Have a movie marathon! For ...

Student hosts tennis camp as senior project

PHOTO PROVIDED Natalie Brown hosted a tennis camp as her senior project under the direction of head coach Pete Wert. The camp was held on June 17, 18, and 19 for campers ages 6 - 18. Natalie is on the Central Mountain High School tennis team and wanted to expose the community to the sport. ...

Jersey Shore Town Meeting stage dedicated

PHOTO PROVIDED Started in 1993 over coffee at a local coffee shop in Jersey Shore, Joe Grieco and Jim Moltz started talking about a stage for the celebration. At that point Jim appointed Joe as chairman to raise funds to build the stage. It was completed in 1994 with the help of many local ...

A Look Back: Fun at the pool

LOCK HAVEN — The Express staff recently found an interesting group of photos that include a swimming pool, kiddos and bags of gold fish. We’re unsure of when the photos were taken, where this event took place or who is pictured. We believe the pool is the one at the YMCA. If anyone has ...

LHU alumna named 2019 Woman of Influence

LOCK HAVEN — Deborah Suder, 1981 graduate of Lock Haven University and LHU council of trustees’ secretary, has been named one of Central Penn Business Journal’s 2019 Women of Influence. Suder has been the senior principal with the Buchanan Ingersoll and Rooney government relations team in ...

Around the town

Good Day and Happy Birthday to Paula Grenninger! Quote of the Day “Nothing in the world is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.” — Anonymous Word of the Day Psychometry — Measurement of intelligence and psychological attributes Blueberry Breakfast Saturday ...

Centre County school retirees give back

BELLEFONTE — Members of Centre County Association of School Retirees (CCASR) subscribe to the motto, “To serve, not be served” when they continue to support public education in the county. As school retirees these members recognize the need to continue to give back to the districts in ...

Old Photo Album: The El Rancho Boys

PHOTO PROVIDED Members of country and western band, The El Rancho Boys. Pictured are Alvin Van Sickle on the banjo, Thomas Shearer with the trombone, Dorsey McGuire holding the trumpet, bassist James Franklin, pianist Robert Gutt, violinist Clyde Haupt, guitarist Herbert Probst and Lee Roy ...

Local briefs

‘Let’s Have a Picnic’ Luncheon July 24 LOCK HAVEN — The next lunch program of Lock Haven Christian Women’s Club is scheduled for Wednesday, July 24, at Flemington Church of Christ, 714 Fairpoint Road, Allison Township. The theme for the luncheon is “Let’s Have a Picnic”. The ...

Calendar of Events

TODAY ∫ The Porter Township Community Library Summer Program, 9-11 a.m., Porter Township community building; guest readers, crafts, games, activities, snacks and book selection. All toddlers, preschool, and elementary children are welcome for any or all sessions. ∫ Kid’s Night ...

Old Photo Album: Do you know these men?

PHOTO PROVIDED Recently, Mill Hall resident Vivienne Shay found this photo of two young men. It was hidden behind a framed picture which she purchased at an auction in Mill Hall. Vivienne is hoping to find who is in the photo or a relative of the two men. Anyone with information regarding ...

Last day of Riverfest a success!

KATHRYN KLINE/THE EXPRESS Community members gathered under sunny skies this past weekend for the annual Riverfest celebration at the Lockport Boat Launch in Woodward Township. The event included food stands with funnel cakes and snow-cones, as well as multiple craft stands and carnival ...

Hold onto your hats! ‘Newsies’ has come to town!

By KAREN ELIAS “Newsies,” the current offering on Millbrook’s main stage and a Tony Award-winning musical, takes us onto the grimy streets of turn-of-the-century New York City and sets us right in the middle of a group of rag-tag kids whose passion for life is so endearing that they win ...

Around the town

GOOD DAY to Ron Haffley, of Lock Haven Quote of the day “Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” — Lolly Daskal Did you know? The world’s oldest continuously running business is a hot springs hotel in Japan that’s run since 705 ...

A standing ovation at Millbrook Playhouse

SARAH SMELTZ/THE EXPRESS The cast and crew of the Disney musical “Newsies” at Millbrook Playhouse off Hogan Boulevard in Bald Eagle Township hosted employees from The Express, Williamsport Sun-Gazette and SWC Realty on Thursday evening in advance of the show’s opening Friday night. The ...

Calling all men from Clinton County

PHOTO PROVIDED The county fair will hold its Queen of Hearts All Male Revue again this year. It was a real hit at last year’s fair and organizers are asking men to put on their gowns and high heel shoes and again this year for the competition. It will be held at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 1 ...

I’m a former 4-Her

As I browsed last weekend’s edition of “Lancaster Farming” I saw an article chronicling the Kempton Fair swine show and it hit me: fair season is suddenly upon us. Wow! My local county youth fairs will be here before I know it, and I know for thousands of 4-Hers across the Commonwealth, ...

Old Photo Album: Familiar faces at The Express

PHOTOS PROVIDED Many in the Lock Haven and Clinton County area may have heard of the two people pictured at left is past Express Publisher Frank D. O’Reilly Jr. O’Reilly was a staple in the community for decades during the early 1900s. O’Reilly mentored and trained his successor, ...